Thread: ESPN article about why the Chiefs need Alex Smith:

ESPN article about why the Chiefs need Alex Smith:

I would love to see Alex end up in Arizona, for purely selfish reasons, but I think he could exceed expectations with a KC team that has a good supporting cast, and an offensive minded head coach.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...eed-alex-smith
    Last edited by 480ute; 02-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.

I'd like to see him replace Philip Rivers in SD, but that is wishful thinking.

hi-res-158436092_crop_650x440.jpg
    You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it? -Tommy Callahan Jr.

From everything I've read, KC has most of the pieces in place, just need that push over the edge. Alex could be the hero.

Most blokes are going to be playing at ten, you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there?

What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Alex Smith vs Eric Weddle twice per year. Must see TV.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If KC really just gave up the first pick in the 2nd round for Smith, I have no confidence in their ability to manage a roster. I love Alex, but that is an idiotic trade. How could any GM justify that, especially when all recent comparable trades have been disastrous?
    Someone on a national sports radio show made this point: KC needs a quarterback, and they would not have been able to get someone with that 2nd round pick that could come in and make an immediate impact at that position. Possibly an over-simplification, but they also pointed out that KC had 6 Pro Bowl players this year. So they ha some good talent already, and the moves at coach, QB, and whatever they do withy the #1 draft pick could result in a big difference in wins next year.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-27-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The counterpoint - they could have had Smith for less, maybe even for free if they had waited. Or, if the Niners really did have some other team willing to deal a 2nd rounder (doubtful), KC could have at least had some other QB plus an extra highly rated offensive lineman. The Oline is the biggest difference between success and failure for a QB, and having Smith is not worth much if they don't have protection for him.

Kolb could have been successful in Arizona with adequate support. But they traded away the support in order to get him. Afraid the Chiefs just did the same thing to Alex.
    I read somewhere that if a team picked up Alex as a FA instead of by trade, they would end up paying more because we would demand a longer term contract for more guaranteed money. But I'm not expert enough in the NFL to know if that is true.

It is also speculated that KC will be picking an OL as the first pick. So if they don't do the trade, they could have another OL, but would have to paya premium for Alex or some other FA QB.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Someone on a national sports radio show made this point: KC needs a quarterback, and they would not have been able to get someone with that 2nd round pick that could come in and make an immediate impact at that position. Possibly an over-simplification, but they also pointed out that KC had 6 Pro Bowl players this year. So they ha some good talent already, and the moves at coach, QB, and whatever they do withy the #1 draft pick could result in a big difference in wins next year.
    It's not that different than where the Skins were last year. At the time it appears you are overpaying but the alternative not getting a QB this year.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    It's not that different than where the Skins were last year. At the time it appears you are overpaying but the alternative not getting a QB this year.

Good point. People were saying the Skins were crazy for giving up that much to get RGIII. No one is saying that now.