Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I don't think there was any blood at all.
    A couple of f words, and some scenes of people drowning, but nothing you expect to see in a war movie.
    The impressive part is how Nolan paints a picture of horror using a different set of tools. It's a deeply impactful movie, but in a unique way.

Finally got around to Passengers. I thought it was pretty decent for what it was. I would've liked to have seen a little more there at the end, but it was pushing 2 plus hours at that point anyway.

Also saw Spiderman a few weeks back, which I enjoyed quite a bit.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We saw "Dunkirk" last night. It is truly excellent, but I probably need to see it again sometime. I was in pain because I have a bad back this week (a first for me), and I needed a movie that would grab me a little bit more in the first 45 minutes. This one had kind of a long setup.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Watched "Rails and Ties" last night. It is a small independent film, and it will be a little slow for some, but it is a good one to watch with your spouse and your older kids.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0822849/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Not a movie, but I did not see a thread for Broadway Musicals. Anyway, went to Book of Mormon last night in SLC. I had been told what to expect in regards to some of the more crass lyrics, so I was not surprised or offended. The music and the choreography was top shelf. The performers were excellent. The script and the delivery were witty. I belly laughed a number of times. They had the same characters as missionaries as were on my mission. I think back to my time in Spain in the mid-70's and remember the faces of many of the people when I was telling them the Joseph Smith story and can now see that their expressions were really saying, is this kid from outer space. Heavenly visitations to adolescents, golden plates delivered by angels, etc., etc., etc. When you think about it, it is inconsistent with every bit of logic. I know many here, like myself, are believers. I know many are not. I know some have been personally hurt by actions of LDS members and teachings of the LDS Church. I enjoy this little community of ours. I hope it continues. I guess the only downside to last night was the Mormon Hell dream I experienced in my sleep. Instead of Hitler, Dahmer, Jonnie Cochran and the other guy, my tormenters were Trump, Max Hall, Roger Reid and his sons. I was forced to re-live 4th and 18, Harline still being open and Ryan Kaneshiro doinking it off the goal post with Austin Collie saying "when you live right on and off the field, magic happens" playing on a loop. I'm not sure why Trump was there except that I get the same visceral feeling when I see him as I do with all things BYU related. I just want to punch him in the face.

I caught "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation." It's pretty funny that the evil terrorist organization is led by...Swedes.

--Yeats

Logan Lucky - was every bit as odd and quirky as its title.

Without giving away too much, its essentially a redneck version of Ocean's 11. It got 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, I liked it but not in a 93% way. It took a little bit for this movie to get going. The best performance was Daniel Craig playing an incarcerated hill-billy.

watched Wind River tonight, excellent movie!

Saw Kidnapped. It was ok. Had to suspend too much of reality for me.

Also saw The Hitman's Bodyguard. I loved it. It was hilarious. If you don't like foul language it's not a movie for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT​ - Liked it, didn't love it.

my wife and I go to the movies nearly every Tuesday night, its our date night. Last night we saw "Mother". Neither of us knowing what it was about or hearing much about it.

Ummmm, I enjoyed the first 2/3 of it, it was mysterious and intriguing. The last 1/3 was bizarre, confusing and awful. I'm sure this move is an artisitc metaphor for something, but I don't want to know what that is.

I watched Bladerunner 2049 this weekend. I really liked it. Despite being long, it moved along well. My wife was a little lost in the movie but she liked it too and didn't mind the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I watched Bladerunner 2049 this weekend. I really liked it. Despite being long, it moved along well. My wife was a little lost in the movie but she liked it too and didn't mind the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you need to see the original Bladerunner to get what is going on in this one? I saw Bladerunner so long ago I don't even remember really what it was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Do you need to see the original Bladerunner to get what is going on in this one? I saw Bladerunner so long ago I don't even remember really what it was about.
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Not at all. It definitely is a continuation of the original but stands alone as a movie. There is a written intro that sets the stage for those who haven't seen (or cannot remember) the first movie.

Saw Dunkirk for the third time. Even in the dollar theater it's a great movie.

my daughters boyfriend, who resembles a poor man's, malnourished Daniel Day Lewis isn't a completely useless life form. He told me about MoviePass,

https://www.moviepass.com/

Moviepass is from one of the creators of Netflix, except its new movies (in theaters). He and my daughter have been using it for the last month and are loving it. ( I can't fathom how this company will ever make money, but I'm ready to take advantage of it until they go belly up ).

- Similiar to Netflix it's a $9.95 membership per month (cancel anytime).
    - download the movie app to your cell phone
    - MoviePass sends you a debit card (I just got mine and my wife's today). This is what you will use to purchase your movie tickets.

Here's how it works:

1. you take your phone and card to the theater (example if its me and my wife going together we have to bring both our phones and both of our movie pass debit cards)
    2. the app will identify if you are close enough to the theater, I think you need to be within several hundred feet before it will allow you to purchase tickets
    3. I select the movie I want to see and the time, Movie Pass funds the debit card for the price of a single ticket. I can use the ticket kiosk or purchase them from a theater employee and select my seat. My wife does the same.
    4. You can only use MoviePass once per day.
    5. No restrictions on movies, but you can only purchase them the day off (can't purchase tickets weeks in advance)

Bottom line for 10 bucks a month you can see 30 free movies a month
    Last edited by Scorcho; 10-14-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    my daughters boyfriend, who resembles a poor man's, malnourished Daniel Day Lewis
    dreamy

Happy Death Day...was actually really funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    my daughters boyfriend, who resembles a poor man's, malnourished Daniel Day Lewis isn't a completely useless life form. He told me about MoviePass,

https://www.moviepass.com/

Moviepass is from one of the creators of Netflix, except its new movies (in theaters). He and my daughter have been using it for the last month and are loving it. ( I can't fathom how this company will ever make money, but I'm ready to take advantage of it until they go belly up ).

- Similiar to Netflix it's a $9.95 membership per month (cancel anytime).
    - download the movie app to your cell phone
    - MoviePass sends you a debit card (I just got mine and my wife's today). This is what you will use to purchase your movie tickets.

Here's how it works:

1. you take your phone and card to the theater (example if its me and my wife going together we have to bring both our phones and both of our movie pass debit cards)
    2. the app will identify if you are close enough to the theater, I think you need to be within several hundred feet before it will allow you to purchase tickets
    3. I select the movie I want to see and the time, Movie Pass funds the debit card for the price of a single ticket. I can use the ticket kiosk or purchase them from a theater employee and select my seat. My wife does the same.
    4. You can only use MoviePass once per day.
    5. No restrictions on movies, but you can only purchase them the day off (can't purchase tickets weeks in advance)

Bottom line for 10 bucks a month you can see 30 free movies a month
    Interesting. I'm guessing this is a way for theaters to try and fill empty seats, since you can't purchase in advance. You won't be able to use it during high demand times, like opening weekends for a show, if they are sold out from pre-sold tickets.

Also, movie theaters really make their money in concessions, so filling a seat that would otherwise be empty will likely bring in revenue there.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I have watched a few movies over the past week or so:

The Hateful Eight - Really enjoyed the set up and premise on this for the first hour. I like Tarantino's tough female heroines, but his use of spraying blood over everything just ruins things for me. Also too much use of the "n" word in this movie. Could have been a good western but he spoiled it.

Requiem for a Dream - I also enjoyed this movie. It was predictable but liked the crazy photo angles and screen warping techniques. Kids, stay away from drugs.

Thor: Ragnerok - I hated the first two Thor movies. This was was very good. It had lots of humor and was similar to Guardians of the Galaxy in making fun of itself. I had low expectations and the movie exceeded them by far.

Tarantino does have strong female characters, good point. Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill movies is perhaps my favorite of all time. Those movies are so very good. Criminally underrated.

Requiem is brilliant, and almost impossible to watch. Darren Aronofsky is a master, and has directed some of the best and most powerful movies of the last two decades (The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, The Black Swan, Noah). He gets amazing performances out of his actor, and the characters are tremendous.

I wanted to watch a 'pop scare' movie while the kids were out Trick or Treating and I was handing out candy. But the Halloweens, Friday the 13th, etc, just didn't seem interesting.

I settled on Trollhunter. People told me it was entertaining but it looked too silly, so I never watched it until now. The movie was nothing like I expected, and it was thoroughly entertaining. It starts as a 'found footage' movie (a la Blair Witch Project) about a group of college journalism students pursuing a story about a bear poacher, end up uncovering a secret Norwegian government program that simultaneously manages the troll population, and also keeps their existence secret.

The movie weaves in all kinds of quirky troll lore: they hang out under bridges, they are strong but dimwitted, they are nearly blind but can smell a Christian (but not an atheist or Muslim), sunlight will turn them to stone, etc.

The effects were what one would expect from a movie costing s bit over $2M to make, but the characters are fun and quirky and the scenery is breathtaking. All told this was a very entertaining movie.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I wanted to watch a 'pop scare' movie while the kids were out Trick or Treating and I was handing out candy. But the Halloweens, Friday the 13th, etc, just didn't seem interesting.

I settled on Trollhunter. People told me it was entertaining but it looked too silly, so I never watched it until now. The movie was nothing like I expected, and it was thoroughly entertaining. It starts as a 'found footage' movie (a la Blair Witch Project) about a group of college journalism students pursuing a story about a bear poacher, end up uncovering a secret Norwegian government program that simultaneously manages the troll population, and also keeps their existence secret.

The movie weaves in all kinds of quirky troll lore: they hang out under bridges, they are strong but dimwitted, they are nearly blind but can smell a Christian (but not an atheist or Muslim), sunlight will turn them to stone, etc.

The effects were what one would expect from a movie costing s bit over $2M to make, but the characters are fun and quirky and the scenery is breathtaking. All told this was a very entertaining movie.
    Troll Hunter is a fantastic film. Quirky, campy and even a little frightening—great fun.

Saw Only the Brave last night. Very well done, I agree with its 90%+ Rotten Tomatoes rating.

On of the previews befor the show was for All the Money in the World, the story of the Getty grandson being kidnapped. It still touted Kevin Spacey as playing John Paul Getty, and the scenes it showed him, his face was unrecognizable due to the prosthetic makeup. But now they are striking his presence from the movie, and are reshooting his scenes with Christopher Plummer. Even IMDB is listing Plummer in the role now.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We saw "Battle of the Sexes" last night. I enjoyed it because I was in high school when that story was unfolding. There were interesting historical details included that added to the story. Emma Stone is great, so is Steve Carell, who made Bobby Riggs into a human being. I think you could wait until Netflix time to see it but it was worth price of admission and a tube of popcorn.

--Yeats

I watched 'Human Flow' by Ai Wei Wei. This is one of the most moving films I have ever watched.

The show begins in the middle of the 2016 Syrian/Iraqi/Iranian refugee migration from Turkey to the Greek island of Lesvos, and follows their saga and challenges and impediments they encounter as they attempt to travel to a new country to build new lives for themselves. (AI Wei Wei happened to be on vacation in Greece with his daughter when the big migration started happening, and he began filming and interviewing people with his iPhone - and the film built out from that).

The film then moves on to other areas of the world where people migrate, discussing the reasons they leave their former countries, what they intend to do in their new homes, and the challenges and roadblocks they face.

The biggest power of this film was the ability it has to humanize and 'us-ize' the people who are uprooting their lives. We always attempt to 'other-ize' people to find a way to ignore their suffering. This film breaks down those imaginary barriers we naturally establish.

Takeaways:
    There are currently 65,000,000+ people who have been forced from their homes, the largest refugee migration since WWII.

Refugees spend an average of 26 years away before being able to return to their home country.

Climate issues factor heavily in the pantheon of causes for people to flee their homes (e.g. the Syrian crisis began on the tail end of 4 straight years of unprecedented droughts).

Without being preachy, the film mentions 270k people are dead and over 4 million chased from their homes in Iraq since the invasion.

There truly is no 'them'; we are ALL 'us'.

Ask yourself, what would it take to force to leave behind everything you own, and walk away from your home? And where would you go?

This was a very thought-provoking film. You owe it to yourselves to watch it.

https://youtu.be/w13N78j-c1M

Here is an interesting interview with Ai Wei Wei.

https://youtu.be/B0XruFxbpg0

“Murder on the Orient-Express”

underwhelmed. Maybe because it was late and I was tired but I was bored after the opening scene.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    “Murder on the Orient-Express”

underwhelmed. Maybe because it was late and I was tired but I was bored after the opening scene.
    Had you read the book or seen an earlier version of the movie? Just wondering if knowing the story and ending before hand would make a difference.