Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I watched "There Will Be Blood" last night and loved it. Daniel Day's commitment to his roles is impressive and always fun to watch. The lack of dialogue in certain scenes as well as the Johnny Greenwood composed music made for a suspenseful, foreboding film. I should also note that Paul Dano's performance was great as well...I didn't expect it. "I'll drink your milkshake."
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

I saw the 1998 non-musical version of Les Miserables with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. I enjoyed it far more than the most recent film adaptation.

Just watched Page Eight. Produced by the BBC in 2011. Spy story starring Bill Nighy as an aging MI5 agent who receives incriminating information about the British government/current Prime Minister. Also stars Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. It is currently playing on PBS - I linked it from the KUED website.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Finally went and took in "Wreck it Ralph"

Fun movie and really brought back some memories

Watched Another Earth over the weekend. Interesting concept, but I don't think they pulled it off very well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Lewis is fantastic in that role........great movie.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Chasing Mavericks. It dragged in parts, but overall was a very good movie.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I watched "Beasts of the Southern Wild" last night. Incredible movie.
    http://www.corbettreport.com/

www.infowars.com

Finally saw "Life of Pi." Outstanding. My daughter (age 16) loved it so much she watched it again today on VuDu. Ang Lee deserved his Oscar.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I watched "The Client" a couple of nights ago just because I had never seen it. Sucked.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

Saw the new Oz movie tonight with the family. Really well done and a great family show

Watched "The Man From Earth." Very interesting premise, but horribly executed: awful scene transitions, gratuitous ending, complete lack of chemistry among the cast members. Only the basic idea behind the film allowed me to finish it, a 17,000 year old man (due to a genetic anomaly), his life experiences, and some commentary on how humans interpret events for their own purposes.
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

Did a Redbox marathon.

"Looper"--the time-travel isn't perfect, but I'm a sucker for Rian Johnson.

"Celeste and Jesse Forever"--Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg show terrific chemistry. It evoked some strong emotions at times.

"Zero Dark Thirty"--long, and maybe a little trite, but Jessica Chastain is brilliant, and the last 30 minutes are riveting.

watched "The Words" with Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid and that actor from Limitless and the Hangover movies (can't recall his name). Jeremy Irons is brilliant. One of the best movies I have seen this year.

I really liked this movie and would recommend it. Mystery/Drama about a struggling writer and his choice about keeping or sacrificing his integrity.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 03-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Finally saw "Life of Pi." Outstanding. My daughter (age 16) loved it so much she watched it again today on VuDu. Ang Lee deserved his Oscar.
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I thought it was outstanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I thought it was outstanding too.
    Ditto. I was not sure I'd like it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We took the kids to the drive-in on friday night to watch the Croods. It was a cute movie with a few quoatable lines, "release the baby!" The kids enjoyed it despite the down pour of rain.

The second feature was Oblivion. Boring movie, with a absolutely predictable plot. Tom cruise played his typical character and did it well, but I could hardly stay awake to finish it.

I saw The Great Gatsby this weekend. I have never read the book. I really enjoyed the movie. Beautifully done. I plan on buying it on DVD when it comes out.

Star Trek Into Darkness in IMax 3D. Superb. It helps that I am a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 05-23-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Hah! LA UTe corrected the spelling of Cumberbatch's name.i Oh that's funny. Thanks for the edit, but why?

I saw "Elvis and Annabelle." Surprisingly good. Joe Mantegna in an unexpected role.

I'm eager to see the new Star Trek movie. Who would've thought that Star Trek movies would get better and better, while Star Wars movies got worse and worse?

--Yeats

Saw Lincoln on DVD and am ashamed to admit it was an absolute snoozer. Boring boring boring. Could not figure out why I hated it so much but yuck.

On the other hand, despite my well known dislike for Matthew McConaughey, I went and saw Mud. What an utterly charming movie. It reminded me strongly of Sling Blade, or A Perfect World, with Kevin Costner. It has that deliberate pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Saw Lincoln on DVD and am ashamed to admit it was an absolute snoozer. Boring boring boring. Could not figure out why I hated it so much but yuck.

On the other hand, despite my well known dislike for Matthew McConaughey, I went and saw Mud. What an utterly charming movie. It reminded me strongly of Sling Blade, or A Perfect World, with Kevin Costner. It has that deliberate pacing.
    I thought you liked Lincoln. Oh, well. Now I do want to see Mud.

--Yeats

Watched "For Love of the Game" with my wife and daughter tonight. It's a rare hat trick: chick flick, baseball movie, and good story all rolled into one. We liked it.

--Yeats

I finally got around to watching "The Town" and really enjoyed it. I cannot say the same for "Tinker Tailor Solider Spy."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Tiger no hitter vs the Yankees. That alone makes it a good movie.
    Actually...

[SPOILER]it was a perfect game.[/SPOILER]

--Yeats

In a very weak moment I watched Cabin in the Woods. It has been probably 15 years since I watched a horror movie but because of the good reviews on rotten tomatoes I decided to give it a chance.

I have to admit that they did a very good job mixing the horror with humor. It was deliberately campy but kept me wondering how it was going to end. I did not like all the gore but assume that was part of the writers making fun of horror movies.

I cannot say that I liked it, but I didn't dislike it either. I enjoyed how they flipped the horror genre on its head, but will wait at least another 15 years before watching a gory horror movie again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    watched "The Words" with Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid and that actor from Limitless and the Hangover movies (can't recall his name). Jeremy Irons is brilliant. One of the best movies I have seen this year.

I really liked this movie and would recommend it. Mystery/Drama about a struggling writer and his choice about keeping or sacrificing his integrity.
    We really enjoyed The Words as well. I'm becoming a big Bradley Cooper fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    We really enjoyed The Words as well. I'm becoming a big Bradley Cooper fan.
    Yes, I saw that one, on an airplane, I think. Really a fascinating movie. Irons is a great actor.

--Yeats

--Yeats

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Just saw "The Way, Way Back." Best movie I've seen in a long time. Great story, affecting characters, terrific acting. Written by the same guys who shared an Oscar with Alexander Payne for the screen adaptation of "The Descendants."

Go see it when it gets to your town.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.

--Yeats