Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I haven't seen any of these yet. Has anyone else?

The Best Films of 2016: From All Over Cinema’s Map

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best...map-1481814001
    I can't read the article, and the only film mentioned in the headline is La La Land. It just came out, and doesn't look like the kind of film I'd like. But the reviews and ratings are really high and intriguing. It might be one to catch over the holidays.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We saw manchester by the sea over the weekend. Extremely powerfrul and emotionally draining. Would highly recommend it.

Rogue One:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I can't read the article, and the only film mentioned in the headline is La La Land. It just came out, and doesn't look like the kind of film I'd like. But the reviews and ratings are really high and intriguing. It might be one to catch over the holidays.
    Here you go:

The most remarkable part of a mostly unremarkable movie year is that fine films continue to get made in spite of structural changes (like shunting independent features online) and the increasing popularity of quality TV. My choice of the year’s best film seemed to choose itself by simultaneously saluting and enhancing the movie medium. I’m talking about Damien Chazelle ’s “La La Land,” the sort of movie you either love or love.
    Here are my other choices, in alphabetical order:

American Honey:
    Andrea Arnold ’s sprawling road movie follows a teenage wanderer, Star ( Sasha Lane ), as she goes with the flow of a surrogate family—mostly runaways—who crisscross the Bible Belt in an old van selling magazine subscriptions as part of a pyramid scam they understand dimly if at all. Star is a chronically hopeful heroine, and the film serves as vivid video Instagrams of an America where rich and poor alike are generally good-hearted, irony-free and blandly besotted by pop culture.

Hell or High Water:
    It’s a western automatically, since it takes place in West Texas and focuses on two brothers who rob small-town banks. More than that, though, David Mackenzie ’s feature, written by Taylor Sheridan, is the very model of a modern film that transcends the limits of its genre. Chris Pine and Ben Foster are superb as the brothers, while Jeff Bridges transcends a supporting role as a foxy old Texas Ranger coming up on retirement.

Loving:
    Radical approaches to filmmaking come in many guises. The startling thing about this film, based on a landmark civil-rights case, is its calmness. The writer-director, Jeff Nichols, doesn’t raise anyone’s voice in dramatizing how the state of Virginia, in 1958, cited anti-miscegenation laws in refusing to recognize the marriage of an interracial couple named Loving—they’re played by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga —and how, almost a decade later, the Supreme Court struck down the decision, ending all race-based restrictions on marriage in the U.S.

Manchester by the Sea:
    Kenneth Lonergan ’s third feature is a drama of surpassing beauty, and Casey Affleck ’s portrayal of its hero is stripped-back perfection—understated, unaffected, yet stunning in depth and resonance. Lee Chandler works as a janitor near Boston, living alone in self-imposed emotional quarantine. His life opens up somewhat when his brother dies and leaves him in charge of his 16-year-old nephew, but Lee achieves only as much resolution—the film’s crucial point—as the steely grip of his past will allow.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-films-of-2016-from-all-over-cinemas-map-1481814001

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Review: Beneath the Bombast, ‘Fences’ Has an Aching Poetry

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/15...ww.google.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Watched 'Suicide Squad'. Absolutely terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post

You and I obviously don't like the same movies.

Second. I couldn't finish it. Jared Leto as the Joker might be the worst casting choice of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Jared Leto as the Joker might be the worst casting choice of all time.
    ...from the people who brought you mark zuckerberg as lex luthor.

Watched a few videos over the weekend...

Pete's Dragon - Boring, fell asleep in the middle of it. No singing or light houses in it.

Finding Dory - It was ok. Not anywhere good as the first one. The seven legged octopus steals the show.

Burn After Reading - A Cohen bros movie with a great cast but the characters were just not interesting at all. Don't waste your time.

"Rogue 1:" I gave in to my inner 18 year-old for this one, agreeing to watch it with my 19 year-old daughter. It's pretty good and worth seeing unless, like my wife, you dislike sci-fi. I ended up liking it a lot, and much more than I expected to. You don't need to know much about "Star Wars" to enjoy this movie (I am not a Star Wars geek and still "got" the story) but Star Wars fans will love it.

"Fences:" We couldn't see "La-La Land" because we were late and there were no seats left, so we slipped into the next theater over and saw this one. It's terrific. Because "Fences" is really a great stage play converted to the screen, the movie version takes a little getting used to -- much more dialogue than action -- and I think it's a bit long. But if you invest some energy into this one you'll be rewarded. You'll also be talking about this movie for a while, afterwards, with anyone you watch it with. It's that kind of art. Viola Davis is especially good and I predict an Oscar nomination for her.

Upcoming: La-La Land. (We'll get there early this time!)

--Yeats

watched "Lion" today. Stars Nicole Kidman and Dev Patel. Powerful movie, a must see. 9 out of 10

Second. I couldn't finish it. Jared Leto as the Joker might be the worst casting choice of all time.
    My turn to see this last night. Another dud from DC Comics.

Only one good action scene (maybe 1.5?). Very little humor, despite featuring Joker and Harley Quinn. A few completely superfluous characters (Boomerang? Katana?). Awful looking and uninteresting villains.

DC is pouring cash into these movies, and they just can't get one to work.

I will say that Jared Leto as Joker is less bad than Zuckerberg as Lex Luthor.

La La Land. I can understand how someone might enjoy this movie, but, the highlight for me was that I was able to hold my wife's hand for a couple of hours.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

The new xXx is exactly the movie you think it would be... awesome.

We saw "A Dog's Purpose." It wasn't what I expected at all and it's great. No emotional manipulation, good story, light-hearted, funny, poignant at times, and directed by Lasse Hallström. A pleasant surprise. Highly recommended.

--Yeats

We saw "Lion" this afternoon. Highly recommended. Emotional story told with confidence, no manipulation. Had a slow stretch for 5 minutes that made me think, "OK, OK, I get it," but that's a minor quibble.

Trailer:

--Yeats

another movie I thoroughly enjoyed and wasn't sure I would was "Hidden Figures"

great movie, inspiring

Ip Man 1-3. Kung fu good stuff.

Ip Man 1-3. Kung fu good stuff.

I loved the first two but haven't pulled the trigger on the third because of Tyson. How was the last one?

I loved the first two but haven't pulled the trigger on the third because of Tyson. How was the last one?
    He's a pretty minor character, the fight he has with Ip Man is pretty laughable, but kind of in a good way. The best part is his voice over actor changes a couple of times. I would say on par with Ip Man 1, not as good as 2.

Watched Logan the other night. Definitely earned its R rating. Certainly not your typical X-Men movie, but overall a very good send off to Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

He's a pretty minor character, the fight he has with Ip Man is pretty laughable, but kind of in a good way. The best part is his voice over actor changes a couple of times. I would say on par with Ip Man 1, not as good as 2.
    I watched this over the weekend. It was better than I expected, but #2 is far and away the best of the three.

I watched this over the weekend. It was better than I expected, but #2 is far and away the best of the three.
    a couple movies I've watched recently that were decent:

Get Out - this thriller has already made $100 million. I'd give it 8 out of 10

Kong - Skull Island - (7 out of 10) - not bad for a monster movie, reminded me more of Jurassic Park than it did the last King Kong movie.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    a couple movies I've watched recently that were decent:

Get Out - this thriller has already made $100 million. I'd give it 8 out of 10

Kong - Skull Island - (7 out of 10) - not bad for a monster movie, reminded me more of Jurassic Park than it did the last King Kong movie.
    I liked Get Out a lot but went in with low expectations. Side note: I saw it with my brother at a late show this weekend. We were the only people there who weren't an interracial couple (or a couple at all).

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 03-13-2017 at 04:12 PM.

I'm not a big fan of horror films, but this one intrigues me. Maybe, in part, because the haunted house built for and featured in the film is about ten minutes from my home in our little city. I've driven by it several times. The town where most of the filming is being done is a 30 minute drive to the east.

I remember watching that as a kid. Scariest dang movie I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm not a big fan of horror films, but this one intrigues me. Maybe, in part, because the haunted house built for and featured in the film is about ten minutes from my home in our little city. I've driven by it several times. The town where most of the filming is being done is a 30 minute drive to the east.

the tv mini-series IT was lame, but I agree this looks promising

my wife is a movie freak, we go nearly every Tuesday. Last 2 movies I've watched:

Beauty and the Beast - Emma Watson does a nice job (7 out of 10)

Life - very intense and very good (8 out of 10)
    Last edited by Scorcho; 03-29-2017 at 07:59 PM.

The movie I am most excited to see ...

I just hope Besson does the graphic novels justice. He's French and the books are very, very French so there is hope:

Valerian’s Biggest PR Problem: It Did Everything First:

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/valeri...rything-first/

Patriot's Day. Enjoyed it a lot, but, Hell or Highwater is still the best movie I've seen in the past 12 months.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.