Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I am almost 20 years late to the party on this one. I have been on a world war 2 kick of late and I watched 'Saving Private Ryan'. That was four days ago and i am still thinking about it. I give it all the stars.

I also watched the saints and soldiers trilogy. They have their flaws, mainly due to being low budget, but each one has a really good message.

Watched Sicario for the second time. Really, Sicario, and Hell or Highwater have been the best movies I've seen in the last year or two. Strong recommendation on both -- but note they're both rated R with strong violence.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Watched Sicario for the second time. Really, Sicario, and Hell or Highwater have been the best movies I've seen in the last year or two. Strong recommendation on both -- but note they're both rated R with strong violence.
    Agreed. Both are great shows.

Guardians of the Galaxy has been on TV lately. Watched it for --- probably the double-digith time. Gotta say its a classic. At least 50 good lines. I think this one is gonna stand the test of time. I'm not a stand in line on opening night guy.....but I may make GofG2 tomorrow an exception.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Guardians of the Galaxy has been on TV lately. Watched it for --- probably the double-digith time. Gotta say its a classic. At least 50 good lines. I think this one is gonna stand the test of time. I'm not a stand in line on opening night guy.....but I may make GofG2 tomorrow an exception.
    I totally agree. I went into the first with low expectations, and was blown away. Now if I see it is on tv, I sit down and watch it. I have been looking forward to the 2nd one for a while now, probably more than I was for the Star Wars movies.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Rocket Raccoon: Well now I'm standing. Happy? We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle.

Drax: You, Quill, are my friend. This dumb tree is also my friend. And this green whore is also my....(interrupted by Gamora)

Anyway, Rotten Tomatoes has GofG2 at 85% (vs 91% for original). IMDB at 8.1 for both movies. Probably worth a visit to the theater.

Rocket Raccoon: Well now I'm standing. Happy? We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle.

Drax: You, Quill, are my friend. This dumb tree is also my friend. And this green whore is also my....(interrupted by Gamora)

Anyway, Rotten Tomatoes has GofG2 at 85% (vs 91% for original). IMDB at 8.1 for both movies. Probably worth a visit to the theater.
    and for some reason this doesn't seem to fall into that overdone Super Hero movie genre

I went last night to GotG2. Oh man...............if you liked the first one, I really believe you will like this one as well. I laughed a ton. I was on teh edge of my seat. And the ending was terrific. There are 5 post movie/mid credits/after credits scenes, so hang around until the very end!!

Loved the first Guardian of the Galaxy movie, couldn't wait for the second one to end. Maybe it was just the mood I was in but I thought #2 was average at best

I was excited to see it, but left thinking meh!

"The Circle." Meh.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell. An outstanding western but beware -- seriously grisly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Loved the first Guardian of the Galaxy movie, couldn't wait for the second one to end. Maybe it was just the mood I was in but I thought #2 was average at best

I was excited to see it, but left thinking meh!
    Agree on all points.

Watched 'Train to Busan' last night on Netflix. It is a Korean zombie movie. Not too bad... if you are into zombie movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

my wife and I watched "Snatched" last night with Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn. Giant Meh!

all of the funny scenes you can see in the previews, and was a little too crude for my taste

Saw Wonder Woman with my daughter tonight. I knew it had good reviews but it was surprisingly good. If you are tired of the same old super hero story this one was a pretty good fresh take. My daughter loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Saw Wonder Woman with my daughter tonight. I knew it had good reviews but it was surprisingly good. If you are tired of the same old super hero story this one was a pretty good fresh take. My daughter loved it.
    Haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad DC got out of its rut and realized that superheroes should be likeable instead of moody.

We liked it too. I was surprised at how much I liked it. I grew up on DC comics and this felt like real DC stuff.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

watched it tonight, loved it. One of the better movies of 2017.

Watched "Risen" ( Resurrection of Christ) tonight. It was very well done and touching.
    Last edited by bestellen; 01-03-2018 at 02:40 AM.

watched "The Beguiled" on the 4th starring Nicole Kidman, Collin Farrell, Kirsten Dunst and El Fanning. Its a remake of a 70's film about a injured Civil War soldier that stumbles upon a Southern Plantation for teenage girls.

Pretty good film, Its Rated R, but could have easily been PG-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    watched "The Beguiled" on the 4th starring Nicole Kidman, Collin Farrell, Kirsten Dunst and El Fanning. Its a remake of a 70's film about a injured Civil War soldier that stumbles upon a Southern Plantation for teenage girls.

Pretty good film, Its Rated R, but could have easily been PG-13.

My son wants to see Spider-Man... I'm not sure I can handle another reboot of a series that I never really liked to begin with. Critics are giving it good reviews, anyone go all cosplay and see it last night?

.... cosplay....

I had to look that word up.

I had to look that word up.
    Be proud of that.

Be proud of of your kids for that.
    Enhanced your advise.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I watched 'Baby Driver' and really liked it. Would highly recommend if you can stand a few swear words.

Saw 'Spiderman' last night. It was ok. I liked the actor and the people in it, but the plot was kind of dumb. Wait til it comes out in video.

Also caught 'Transformers: last knight or something'. I haven't seen any of the others beyond the first one. Wow was that terrible. Slept then parts of it and then watched the ending with a can't-believe-a-movie-this bad-was-actually-released wonderment.

Went to see Dunkirk with my daughter on Friday night in an IMAX theater. This was a phenomenal piece of story telling.

I anxiously await Nolan's next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Went to see Dunkirk with my daughter on Friday night in an IMAX theater. This was a phenomenal piece of story telling.

Agreed it was great.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Curious about Dunkirk and its appropriateness for my 13yo. How realistic and graphic is the violence in it?

For example I think Saving Private Ryan is a movie everyone should see but not when you are a kid.

Curious about Dunkirk and its appropriateness for my 13yo. How realistic and graphic is the violence in it?

For example I think Saving Private Ryan is a movie everyone should see but not when you are a kid.

Its not particulary bloody IE when come to TNT in 2 years I dont think they will cut out much.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla