Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

watched "Risen" (movie about the Resurrection of Christ) tonight. It was very well done and touching. I'd give it 7 out of 10

Spent some time with my dad last week in SLC, and caught two movies with him.
    The Revenant: My only complaint was that it was a little too long. Otherwise brilliant, visually stunning. Polish that speech Leo.
    13 Hours: Pretty good. Jim Halpert did a very nice job, I thought. A former wardmember, and my hometeacher, was in the embassy during the whole thing. Pretty freaky to see what went on....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Spent some time with my dad last week in SLC, and caught two movies with him.
    The Revenant: My only complaint was that it was a little too long. Otherwise brilliant, visually stunning. Polish that speech Leo.
    13 Hours: Pretty good. Jim Halpert did a very nice job, I thought. A former wardmember, and my hometeacher, was in the embassy during the whole thing. Pretty freaky to see what went on....
    the Revenant was incredible, that 10 minute scene with the grizzly was brutal. I don't know if that was all CGI or if they used an actual bear (stunning effects)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    the Revenant was incredible, that 10 minute scene with the grizzly was brutal. I don't know if that was all CGI or if they used an actual bear (stunning effects)
    Yes, that scene was amazing. Would be interesting to see how they did it. I didn't see any flaws in it.
    The other thing that really blew me away was the battle scene at the start of the movie. One fluid camera take (or faked ala Birdman). That was very impressive, beautiful cinematography.

Just watched "The Big Short". It isn't as good as the book but somehow made me more angry.

I quit my job and started my business about two months before the economy collapsed, that was a painful and scary time.

Today I see the exact same stuff going on: no documentation, zero down loans. Mine and your houses just reached the valuation they had in 2006 at the height of the market. People clap about that but that is 8 years of lost value.

Right now in SLC housing inventory is down 34% from this time last year but sales are up. Mortgage rates actually fell when the fed raised their rates. Historic low mortgage rates and no inventory means housing prices should start shooting up again. Seems familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 Cloverfield Ln, sort of a sequel to Cloverfield. Good flick 8/10. The first 3/4 of the movie was a little too long, but still pretty good.

10 Cloverfield Ln, sort of a sequel to Cloverfield. Good flick 8/10. The first 3/4 of the movie was a little too long, but still pretty good.
    I'd give it a 5. The last 20 minutes totally ruined a good movie.

Is it a horror flick?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is it a horror flick?
    I'd call it a thriller or suspense flick.

DADDY'S HOME. I'm a Mark Wahlberg fan, but man, this one sucked. Take a pass.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Still Alice - Pretty depressing. Great performances though.

Pixels - No real redeeming qualities.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

saw 10 Cloverfield Lane last night.
    For the most part, really enjoyed it. Had some loud startles in it, which I'm not a big fan of. Not quite a slasher-flick moment, but kinda. Just a personal dislike.
    Otherwise, really liked it. Good acting, dialog. Really liked what Goodman did. Basically just 3 people in the whole film. Pretty funny in a few places. I like that it wasn't clear what was really going on. And who was trustworthy.
    Like Diehard, I didn't really care for the last 20 minutes. But, before that, it was great.

Saw Creed and The Big Short over the weekend. I liked them both.

I was thinking about the uniqueness of The Big Short. The unusual film gimicks, frequently breaking the fourth wall, and the "guest" appearances to explain complicated terms or concepts was a bit annoying at first. But the more I think about it, the gimicks and the great acting performances were kind of necessary to keep an complicated, almost boring topic entertaining for 2 hours.

I was was never a big fan of the Rocky movies, but I enjoyed Creed. Stallone's performance was great.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I was was never a big fan of the Rocky movies, but I enjoyed Creed. Stallone's performance was great.
    I hear that he really acts this time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Eye in the Sky with Alan Rickman, Helen Miren and Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul .... Thoroughly enjoyed it, 8 out of 10.

my wife and I are on a bit of a movie kick, watched Midnight Special tonight ... good Sci-Fi Thriller, freaky 8 out of 10

Has anyone seen Batman v Superman yet?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Yeah. Saw it this week. It was ok.

Not terrible, but not great.

I was sick earlier this week so I took the opportunity to catch up on movies.

Deadpool was a lot of fun. The entire plot can probably be explained in 22 words, but the action was enjoyable and comedic. Ryan Reynolds is quite funny and I loved them way he made fun of lesser-known Marvel characters he has played (he was in Blade and Green Lantern, and mocked both movies). He also mocked the studio who was making Deadpool for cutting the budget. He constantly broke the 4th wall, and one time broke the 4th wall while he was in the middle of breaking the 4th wall, and then mocked himself for doing it. Good stuff.

The love interest (Morena Baccarin) is a talented actress and I have had a major crush on her since she played the courtesan Inara Serra on Firefly/Serenity 15 years ago. The actress who played Angel Dust (Gina Carano) is also a major babe and is an ass-kicking amateur MMA fighter in her own right.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 04-09-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I was sick earlier this week so I took the opportunity to catch up on movies.

Deadpool was a lot of fun. The entire plot can probably be explained in 22 words, but the action was enjoyable and comedic. Ryan Reynolds is quite funny and I loved them way he made fun of lesser-known Marvel characters he has played (he was in Blade and Green Lantern, and mocked both movies). He also mocked the studio who was making Deadpool for cutting the budget. He constantly broke the 4th wall, and one time broke the 4th wall while he was in the middle of breaking the 4th wall, and then mocked himself for doing it. Good stuff.

The love interest is a talented actress and I have had a major crush on her since she played a courtesan Firefly/Serenity 15 years ago. The actress who played Angel Dust is also a major babe and is an ass-kicking amateur MMA fighter in her own right.
    Breaking the 4th wall is Deadpool's schtick. He does it in the comic books.

As for the jokes about the budget, Reynolds has been the driving force behind this project for 10 years. So he's even more aware of the inner workings which makes it funnier.

Of course Deadpool's part of X-Men so 20th Century Fox has the rights. (Which is also why he roasts his role as Deadpool in Wolverine)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I took my kids to the drive-in to see it the opening weekend. Not rushing here to gush about it should tell you all you need to know. Wait for it to come out in video. It was ok. It was dark, loud, and jumped around a lot. The best part of the whole show was wonder woman.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I took my kids to the drive-in to see it the opening weekend. Not rushing here to gush about it should tell you all you need to know. Wait for it to come out in video. It was ok. It was dark, loud, and jumped around a lot. The best part of the whole show was wonder woman.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I enjoyed Affleck as Batman too. Superman drug the whole thing down IMO

I think I will take the advice from you guys here and wait until it comes out on blu ray. That way its only a dollar and change wasted.

Very much looking forward to Civil War next month. I have really enjoyed MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I enjoyed Affleck as Batman too. Superman drug the whole thing down IMO

I agree. I thought Afflect did a good job with what was given him.

Slingblade. What a great show, and performance by Billy Bob Thornton. It's almost impossible to recognize him in this role from his later roles.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We saw Jungle Book. I really enjoyed it. It holds closer to Rudyard Kipling's books than the original version, but also nods towards the animated classic. Probably not for little kids or sensitive kids.

Watched the final Hunger Games last night. The whole series had been unspectacular but at least entertaining. But the last twenty minutes of this had to be some of the worst finishes I've ever sat through.

The Walk is unwatchable. Waaaaay too many shots looking down. Yikes!!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    The Walk is unwatchable. Waaaaay too many shots looking down. Yikes!!
    I agree. I'm not unusually afraid of heights, but that movie made me queasy.

Captain America: Civil War

Another great movie from Marvel.