Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Hybrid View

I watched the Phantom Thread over the weekend. Daniel Day Lewis is an underrated actor, he was superb. Its a movie about a women's fashion designer, which surprisingly, I enjoyed. Very well done, except the ending is a little strange. It's rated R for 4 or 5 F words

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Daniel Day Lewis is an underrated actor, he was superb.
    He has been nominated for five best actor academy awards and won three. He is not underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    He has been nominated for five best actor academy awards and won three. He is not underrated.
    maybe he should have won all 5

maybe he should have won all 5
    I have been doing a DDL resrospective on the treadmill the past couple of weeks. First Lincoln, and now My Left Foot. He is unbelievably good. I really want to go back and watch Unbearable Lightness of Being and In the Name of the Father, but they are not available (for free anyway) on Netflix or Amazon. Neither is There Will be Blood. Dont know if Gangs of NY is worth it.

My 10yo daughter asked me to go and see “The Greatest Showman” with her last night and who can turn down a date with someone as beautiful as her? The movie was awful but I had fun watching her enjoy it instead and thinking about how quick she is growing up and won’t want to do things like that with me soon.

Grumpy old man review: Avoid it.

10yo girl review: It was great! Can we buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudbound on Netflix is really good, esp. for you Mike Ehrmantraut fans.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-26-2018 at 09:06 AM.

We watched "I, Tonya" on Netflix Saturday night. It was surprisingly good. I ended up feeling sorry for Tonya Harding. Supremely talented woman, tough life, got few breaks, and was let down by just about everyone she depended on. Also surrounded by a lot of fools.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I pretty much agree with this guy.

Three Reasons I Won't Be Talking About The Oscars

https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/thr...alking-oscars/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I pretty much agree with this guy.

Three Reasons I Won't Be Talking About The Oscars

https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/thr...alking-oscars/
    I stopped watching awards show long before they became controversial. Awards show are too long and I have better things to do.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Hostiles - solid B if you like westerns.

I saw 12 Strong on Saturday, it was excellent. Now I've got to read the book to see how accurate it is.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Went with my wife to see "Black Panther" last night. As an unapologetic Marvel homer, I really enjoyed it. Visually, it was as impressive as it had been hyped up to be. The story was well written, if predictable at parts. The thing that I loved was the casting. This cast was terrific. There are so many marvel movies now that its hard for me to put down an order, but this was certainly up there.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I saw 12 Strong on Saturday, it was excellent. Now I've got to read the book to see how accurate it is.
    I finished the book on Sunday. As usual, the movie is full of Hollywood embellishments. However, while there is much compression and compositioning of people and events, nothing is flat out made up like in the second half American Sniper. The final. climactic battle in 12 Strong did happen, just not in the way it was portrayed, necessarily.

Black Panther was awesome.

1517 to Paris. AWFUL. A total waste of a couple hours. It’s slow, hardly touches on the actual attack and that’s all made worse by using the actual people involved...this movie needed decent acting to save it. I honestly wouldn’t even rebox it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but Marvel is the top story of Hollywood in the past decade. They just keep making movies that almost everyone likes. No other studio/franchise has ever done anything like this. Pixar was close for a while, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

1517 to Paris. AWFUL. A total waste of a couple hours. It’s slow, hardly touches on the actual attack and that’s all made worse by using the actual people involved...this movie needed decent acting to save it. I honestly wouldn’t even rebox it.

I read a quote about 1517 to Paris that said something like, “Eastwood used the actual people to play the parts who never had acted before. That record remains clean...”

watched Annihilation last night Its a mystery sci-fi drama starring Natalie Portman.

it was okay, not great, 6 out 10

Additionally, one of the trailers is for Red Sparrow starring Jennifer Lawrence. I like Jennifer Lawrence but her Russian accent in the previews is so bad I can't imagine I'll be able to watch that show.

I like Jennifer Lawrence
    But why? All I've seen is Hunger Games, Joy, and American Hustle, and I just don't get the JLaw hype. Oh, and the X-Men movies, which are so so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    But why? All I've seen is Hunger Games, Joy, and American Hustle, and I just don't get the JLaw hype. Oh, and the X-Men movies, which are so so bad.
    did you ever see the movie Passengers where she was in a space inducted coma? brilliant acting performance she can sleep act like no other

Check out Winter’s Bone if your in the mood for a depressing experience but with great acting by Ms Lawrence.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We watched the latest Avengers movie Friday night. All I can say is that if you have not watched all the prior Avengers movies, you won’t understand much of this movie. It was clearly very well done, but I was looking at my watch after 30 minutes.

--Yeats

Saw Solo. I had really low expectations based on the last Star Wars movie. I was very pleasantly surprised the whole way through. I enjoyed it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Saw Solo. I had really low expectations based on the last Star Wars movie. I was very pleasantly surprised the whole way through. I enjoyed it a lot.
    I liked it too. Certainly better than The Last Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I liked it too. Certainly better than The Last Jedi.

The funny thing is we were trying to see the new Avengers movie but got to the theater too late and had to settle for Solo. The Last Jedi was sooooo bad we didn’t intend to see Solo Glad we did!

Sicario Day of Soldado - excellent. One of my favorite movies this year. Better than the first Sicario imo

The Last Jedi was trapped by the sins of The Force Awakens. Two decisions have really hamstrung that series: (1) the decision to completely reboot the story instead of making an original story and (2) the decision to include the aged original characters.
    "I know! After the rebels blew up our first and second Death Star, let's make another BIGGER one, with similar vulnerabilities." I could however excuse the Force Awakens because it was a reboot of sorts of the franchise and an attempt to capture the old feel (although I agree with what you said).

Rogue One however I thought was excellent, in fact it might be my favorite Star Wars movie.

One clear indicator of how the fanboys think about this though is to look at them generationally. If you ask young people which is better of the series, the original or the prequels, they'll say the prequels. If you ask someone in their 40s or older they'll say the originals. The painful fact for most though is that Star Wars has always suffered from poor acting and annoying characters. C3PO = Jar Jar Binks. Luke whining, "You want the impossible!" = Anakin Skywalker, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil."

If you look at the negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes from the audience (and even the professional critics) it is mostly coming from the fanboys, and people who are upset because their apple cart has been upset. If (the global) you are a passive 'fan' like me, you'll enjoy Solo I think.

Ant Man and The Wasp was awesome.

Mission Impossible Fallout - good movie, not great. They could have cut 45 minutes out of this movie and it would have been better.

Anybody who has kids who have made it thru eighth grade, or made it thru themselves, will love that movie. It is pitch perfect. A wonderful, wonderful movie.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Anybody who has kids who have made it thru eighth grade, or made it thru themselves, will love that movie. It is pitch perfect. A wonderful, wonderful movie.
    What movie are referring to?