Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    In the spirit of Halloween, we watched Ghostbusters last night. It was ok. Had some funny moments, but overall I'd give it a C, maybe C+/B-?
    I agree. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. I laughed. McCarthy was funny, as usual.

I didn't like how they rebooted it, ignoring the first two. All the original ghostbusters were in the movie. Instead of rebooting, have the old team put together the new team.

Also, my other complaint is that they casted incorrectly. I didn't like Kristen Wig (which was odd, because I usually really like her) and I didn't like the blond girl.

The original ghostbusters had the cool guy (Murray), the new guy (Hudson), the smart guy (Ramis) and the awkward guy (Aykroyd).

The new ghostbusters didn't have the "cool" guy. McCarthy and Wig played the same character (the Aykroyd) and it was too much.

They should have mixed it up. I think this lineup would have been amazing: Paul Rudd (cool guy), Seth Green (smart guy), McCarthy (awkward chick) and Jones (new chick). Then, have Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson bring the new group together and go fight ghosts.

Not a bad movie, not at all...but a big time missed opportunity.

I too just saw it for the first time, andI agree that it needed a cool guy, but I thought it was really funny, probably a B+, which surprised me given what I'd heard and the letdown I experienced when I saw the first trailer. It can't compare to the first movie, but there's only a handful of comedies that can. I thought it was very funny and quite well done. Plus, my 6, 9, and 11 year olds all loved it, which I really appreciate in a movie these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I too just saw it for the first time, andI agree that it needed a cool guy, but I thought it was really funny, probably a B+, which surprised me given what I'd heard and the letdown I experienced when I saw the first trailer. It can't compare to the first movie, but there's only a handful of comedies that can. I thought it was very funny and quite well done. Plus, my 6, 9, and 11 year olds all loved it, which I really appreciate in a movie these days.
    Yeah.nomorespacing.
    Yeah, it wasn't that bad at all. I loved Ghostbusters growing up and thought they could do better, but it wasn't bad at all.

My wife and I watched "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" the other night. It wasn't bad, typical crass humor movie.

But, it hit us as we were watching it, that all the references were from when we were in high school. The songs, the jokes, etc.

Does this make us officially old?

The Accountant. I can give it a strong recommendation.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    The Accountant. I can give it a strong recommendation.
    Saw that last week and enjoyed it quite a bit. As with almost any action movie it can be over the top in places, but I still thought it was awesome. Then again, I'm a CPA and an overall badass so the concept resonated with me from the start.

Saw Dr Strange this afternoon. Its pretty good. Not the best marvel movie by any means but he's different and will add a unique power to the avengers.

I wonder how many people have marvel fatigue. I'm not there by any means but I think some are.

I'm there. Let me guess...

Man discovers power he didn't know he had at a critical point in his life and struggles to understand it. As he finally comes to terms with it and start using it for good he realizes his power has it limits and he makes a mistake or there are moral or ethical questions that makes him consider abandoning it all. Meanwhile a villain or villains are plotting destruction that draws the hero back out again.

As they fight there is a point where it looks like all hope is lost, until a twist that ultimately results in victory.

Finally after sitting through all credits you get a 15 second clip that gives you a hint at the next movie concept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm there. Let me guess...

Man discovers power he didn't know he had at a critical point in his life and struggles to understand it. As he finally comes to terms with it and start using it for good he realizes his power has it limits and he makes a mistake or there are moral or ethical questions that makes him consider abandoning it all. Meanwhile a villain or villains are plotting destruction that draws the hero back out again.

As they fight there is a point where it looks like all hope is lost, until a twist that ultimately results in victory.

Finally after sitting through all credits you get a 15 second clip that gives you a hint at the next movie concept?

Ha! That's pretty darn close!!

Hacksaw Ridge

didn't love this movie, didn't hate it 6 out of 10

unbelievable over the top sappiness for the first 30 mins of this movie followed by an hour of hard core over the top war violence

great story

directed by Mel Gibson

Trolls. Yep.

Not as bad as i thought it would be. if you have girls 5-10 years old they will absolutely love it. Unlike most movies that appeal to that demographic as a parent you should be able to stand this one. I was truly shocked that it wasn't too bad, I was bucking on the 'dad points' thing to get me through it.

Trolls. Yep.

Not as bad as i thought it would be. if you have girls 5-10 years old they will absolutely love it. Unlike most movies that appeal to that demographic as a parent you should be able to stand this one. I was truly shocked that it wasn't too bad, I was bucking on the 'dad points' thing to get me through it.
    Good to hear, there is a sensory showing of it on Saturday that I'm thinking of taking my son to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Good to hear, there is a sensory showing of it on Saturday that I'm thinking of taking my son to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It is bright and colorful and musical and happy, your son will love it. Justin Timberlake does the music (and does a great job) and so it is a very different musical score than you'd expect.

Looking forward to Arrival. Looks interesting, and getting good reviews.

It is bright and colorful and musical and happy, your son will love it. Justin Timberlake does the music (and does a great job) and so it is a very different musical score than you'd expect.

I'll never admit to saying this, but here goes:

I've found that things done by/with/involving Timberlake are usually pretty entertaining things.

Then you throw in some Anna Kendrick? Not too bad.

Took my kids to see Moana on Thanksgiving. It had some slow parts, and went pretty far into the mythology for a kids movie, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Enjoyed the music as well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Dr. Strange and Magical Creatures were both great. I must be very easily entertained, or have a very low entertainment IQ or something, but the Marvel movies are still not getting old for me.

Dr. Strange and Magical Creatures were both great. I must be very easily entertained, or have a very low entertainment IQ or something, but the Marvel movies are still not getting old for me.
    Speaking of my incredibly low entertainment IQ, when I was in law school there were things called "reading groups" where students could set up a group where students would get together and discuss a topic of their choice once a week, presumably with some sort of underlying source material that everyone would be familiar with for the meeting. You had to get a professor to sign off on it, but the professors then had nothing to do with it, and you could always get a professor to sign off. Anyway, me and a few of my buddies set up a "Law and Film" reading group, which we planned to use to get a school credit by meeting together weekly at the law school and watching a movie we liked. Unfortunately, we had to open the reading group up for anyone to enroll in. When the first day rolled around, it turned out that me and about 6 of my buddies had enrolled, but so had about 5 other students who we didn't know. We had just enough bodies for everyone to present one movie. My buddies and I all presented our favorite dumb comedies (think Ghostbusters, Fletch, Monty Python, etc.) while the other students would bring these independent art-house type depressing social commentary movies. I will never forget the total disgust and disdain these Yale Law School students would have for us when we would roll out another juvenile comedy; they really thought we were so incredibly far beneath them (and they were probably right).

Speaking of my incredibly low entertainment IQ, when I was in law school there were things called "reading groups" where students could set up a group where students would get together and discuss a topic of their choice once a week, presumably with some sort of underlying source material that everyone would be familiar with for the meeting. You had to get a professor to sign off on it, but the professors then had nothing to do with it, and you could always get a professor to sign off. Anyway, me and a few of my buddies set up a "Law and Film" reading group, which we planned to use to get a school credit by meeting together weekly at the law school and watching a movie we liked. Unfortunately, we had to open the reading group up for anyone to enroll in. When the first day rolled around, it turned out that me and about 6 of my buddies had enrolled, but so had about 5 other students who we didn't know. We had just enough bodies for everyone to present one movie. My buddies and I all presented our favorite dumb comedies (think Ghostbusters, Fletch, Monty Python, etc.) while the other students would bring these independent art-house type depressing social commentary movies. I will never forget the total disgust and disdain these Yale Law School students would have for us when we would roll out another juvenile comedy; they really thought we were so incredibly far beneath them (and they were probably right).
    Well, we have a complete douche bag for President because people like your class mates think the democratic blue collar folks in Ohioi, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin (who presumably also like juvenile comedies) are beneath them. So, there's that.

I saw "Hacksaw Ridge" last weekend and highly recommend it. The "R" rating comes from very realistic war wounds. They'll make most people wince and the movie's not for kids, but it is a really good movie. It's also based on a real Medal of Honor recipient's story.

This is the guy whose story the movie tells. His name was Desmond Doss:

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detai...-desmond-t.php

Here's his obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/25/us...ctor-dies.html

And here's an interview with Doss late in his life:

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-30-2016 at 11:47 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Well, we have a complete douche bag for President because people like your class mates think the democratic blue collar folks in Ohioi, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin (who presumably also like juvenile comedies) are beneath them. So, there's that.

Spot on.

I saw both Moana and Fantastic Beasts over last weekend. I didn't expect to enjoy Moana but it was actually pretty fun, good music and the Flight of the Conchords guy was great in his role.

I thought Fantastic Beasts was good but not great. On its own I didn't think it measured up to most of the Harry Potter movies. Probably a good chunk of that is not knowing much about the characters. Newt is a really great character, but none of the others did much for me. The best thing it did was get me excited for what is most likely coming in the series.

My son's birthday is tomorrow, it seems it will be a tradition now to go and see the new Star Wars flicks for his birthday. With that said we saw Rogue One this morning. It is actually pretty dark and a movie designed for fans. I've seen some negative reviews holding it up to the original trilogy, but I think people like that still live in a world where those movies were the end all be all. Don't get me wrong, I love those movies, but if you watch them today they have bad acting, goofy plots and goofy characters. I know that is blasphemy among some, but it is true. When the prequel ones came out, they actually were about on par with the originals.

I loved episode 7 when it came out, but watching it again later it seems pretty derivative and that JJ Abrams decided to just appeal to every fan out there and cram all that in without a real original idea. Fair enough.

So with that prelude, I liked this movie a lot, who is to say it won't wear thin like Episode 7 did for me? But I liked the story line, I liked the characters, I liked the many tie-ins you'll spot throughout the movie and I liked that it was pretty dark. A few criticism to be had but I won't discuss as they may be spoilers? I dunno.

Also, given it is pretty dark the PG-13 rating seems apt. I took my 9yo and while she did okay I probably wish I wouldn't have. She is just a happy kid, and so those type of movies are particularly hard on her.

I tend to believe this movie may stand the test of time though and may even be praised for having the better story of the originals, particularly considering the constraints. It also makes some of the plot holes in Ep 4 less egregious.

When the prequel ones came out, they actually were about on par with the originals.
    You're throwIng all your movie review credibility away here.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You're throwIng all your movie review credibility away here.
    Here is the test: ask anyone about 35 and older which are the best movies the original trilogy or the new one and they'll always say the old. Ask anyone under that and they'll say the new. When you watch them all together you realize the rankings go from best to worst: 5,4,3,2,6,1. 1 is so bad it skews the scale, but really it can be eliminated and not cause harm to the story.

But watch them all in this order 4,5,2,3,6 and you'll realize they are all about the same.

The Washington Post reviewer loved it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.464d9c348502

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

5, 4, 6, 3, 2, 1.
    I'd would have posted this same ranking had I not watched Return of the Jedi this last week with my kids. A plot that centers on Ewoks and C-3PO puts it on par with 1, the movie up through Jabba puts it on par with 2 or 3, averaging out to 2nd to last. Plus now they've shoved Hayden Christensen into the ending as Anakin I think I have some pretty solid nerd crew to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I saw both Moana and Fantastic Beasts over last weekend. I didn't expect to enjoy Moana but it was actually pretty fun, good music and the Flight of the Conchords guy was great in his role.

I watched Moana when it came out, and again last night. It is very good on its own visually and as a story, but Lin-Manuel Miranda's music makes it a modern masterpiece. Several of the songs very powerful and moving.

Jemaine Clement was good as always, and Dwayne Johnson did a great job as Maui. Even his singing was impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an Oscar nomination for supporting actor, just as Ellen DeGeneres won for Finding Nemo.

I haven't seen any of these yet. Has anyone else?

The Best Films of 2016: From All Over Cinema’s Map

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best...map-1481814001

--Yeats