Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Zero Dark Thirty. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Captain Phillips.
    Wow, just wow. Great movie, great acting. The last scene was amazing, and by far my favourite of the movie. I went to see it with my daughter and she was sobbing during the last scene. Hanks is Hanks and Abdi is amazing as well. Great action movie. Believable, great dialogue. No "5 cent tough guy" from the military guys, the ship crew was scared shitless, as they likely were in real life.

The Hours.
    Netflixed this last night, and I want to watch it again. Fabulous acting, especially by Nicole Kidman (didn't recognize her. Great make up and prosthetic nose).
    Kidman, who portrays Virginia Woolf says towards the end ''Someone has to die that the rest of us should value life more.'' It's an interesting look at several different women, in different periods of time, who were all influenced by Woolf's ideas, whether they knew it or not.
    The music is beautiful, and appropriately haunting.

Thor 2. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Headed to The Hobbit in 3 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Headed to The Hobbit in 3 hours
    I hear the writers invented new characters, which in my mind is a serious offense when a classic is involved. Looking forward to your review.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hear the writers invented new characters, which in my mind is a serious offense when a classic is involved. Looking forward to your review.
    From what I know they brought characters from LOTR that didn't appear in The Hobbit back to The Hobbit, such as Legolas.

From what I know they brought characters from LOTR that didn't appear in The Hobbit back to The Hobbit, such as Legolas.
    That's a less serious offense, IMO.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

So there is an added Elf, but frankly I didn't mind. (I also found The Hobbit to be my least favorite of the books, so maybe that's why)

I really enjoyed the movie, more so than the first film. It's one of those flicks that gets better as it goes along with the lady hour being quite good.

I'm sure there will be gripes from the book purists, and so be it. (Could be worse, you could have George Lucus butchering it....oh wait he only does that to his own stuff)

So there is an added Elf, but frankly I didn't mind. (I also found The Hobbit to be my least favorite of the books, so maybe that's why)

I really enjoyed the movie, more so than the first film. It's one of those flicks that gets better as it goes along with the lady hour being quite good.

I'm sure there will be gripes from the book purists, and so be it. (Could be worse, you could have George Lucus butchering it....oh wait he only does that to his own stuff)
    I'm looking forward to seeing it, although I must agree with you - The Hobbit is a fun little children's book (which also appeals to adults) but I've been wondering how they'd make 3 movies out of it.

--Yeats

Serious question, is 'the lady hour' a movie term (like a term for the penultimate scene), a part of the Hobbit book, or an autocorrect typo.

It is a rare moment when I'm not being a smartass, or at least intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Serious question, is 'the lady hour' a movie term (like a term for the penultimate scene), a part of the Hobbit book, or an autocorrect typo.

As he reads this, Diehard is surely cursing autocorrect. Or is it autocomplete?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I understood the "lady hour" to refer to the last 30 minutes of a romantic comedy when the comedy leaves and the romance kicks it up a notch.

It's just autocorrect after being up for 22 hours

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I once sent an email to a colleague named Beth. That was AutoCorrected to "Babe."

--Yeats

I'm disappointed, you piqued my interest with a 'lady hour'. Sorry to be 'that guy' I was sincerely curious.

Banned
    I took my 9 year old daughter and several of her friends to "Frozen". They all loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just saw "The Way, Way Back." Best movie I've seen in a long time. Great story, affecting characters, terrific acting. Written by the same guys who shared an Oscar with Alexander Payne for the screen adaptation of "The Descendants."

Go see it when it gets to your town.
    Agree....best movie in awhile. Really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Thor 2. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    We're not on the page here. Didn't enjoy it at all.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I finally saw "The Shipping News" on a plane flight over the weekend (using my iPad). Really fine movie. The cast alone was worth watching: Kevin Spacey, Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore. Directed by Lasse Hallström.

--Yeats

Memento. I didn't really like it. It was a novel idea to tell the story from end to beginning, but it just didn't work for me. I've now seen three of Nolan's movies - Memento, Inception and Dark Knight Rises - and can say that I'm not a fan. All three weren't as good as they were made out to be.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Memento. I didn't really like it. It was a novel idea to tell the story from end to beginning, but it just didn't work for me. I've now seen three of Nolan's movies - Memento, Inception and Dark Knight Rises - and can say that I'm not a fan. All three weren't as good as they were made out to be.
    And they're 3 of my favorite movies.

How did you skip Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and jump straight to Rises?

And they're 3 of my favorite movies.

How did you skip Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and jump straight to Rises?
    It happened to be on one of the movie channels (Encore, maybe?) and there was nothing else on at the time.

It happened to be on one of the movie channels (Encore, maybe?) and there was nothing else on at the time.
    With that trilogy it probably doesn't help not seeing the other two

I love Rises, but The Dark Knight is the crown jewel, just for Heath Ledgers performance alone.

I love Rises, but The Dark Knight is the crown jewel, just for Heath Ledgers performance alone.
    True.

--Yeats

Ledger is why I refuse to see the Dark Knight.

Ledger is why I refuse to see the Dark Knight.
    Huh?

Huh?
    I had the displeasure of a minor personal reaction with Ledger a number of years ago. I coached a little league all-star team when my oldest son was playing. We had been in Park City for the tournament and after the game, the team - coaches, players, parents, etc. - decided to eat together at one of the restaurants there. While our group was there, Ledger and two others were seated near our table. One of the kids - this was a 10 year old boy - recognized Ledger. Apparently, he had seen Brokeback Mountain. The kid, with no ill intent, said to Ledger "hey, aren't you one of the guys from the movie about gay cowboys?"

Ledger then went off on a profanity laced verbal assault of the kid that attacked the kid personally and attacked the Mormon Church - this kid is from a family that isn't Mormons - and demanded that our group be kicked out of the restaurant. The manager of the restaurant complied with Ledger's demand and we were asked to leave.

Because of that incident, I vowed to never see another movie that Ledger was in, which is why I will never watch the Dark Knight.

I am going to see the Hobbit tonight with a buddy. I am really lookin forward to the "lady hour!"

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I am going to see the Hobbit tonight with a buddy. I am really lookin forward to the "lady hour!"
    I imagine you'll be disappointed

With that trilogy it probably doesn't help not seeing the other two

I love Heath Ledgers performance, but I think it hurt the film as he stole the show. Now when I watch The Dark Knight, I find myself wanting to skip to the Joker scenes. I think the DKR was a more complete and well balanced film, although I do probably enjoy watching The Dark Knight more.

I had the displeasure of a minor personal reaction with Ledger a number of years ago. I coached a little league all-star team when my oldest son was playing. We had been in Park City for the tournament and after the game, the team - coaches, players, parents, etc. - decided to eat together at one of the restaurants there. While our group was there, Ledger and two others were seated near our table. One of the kids - this was a 10 year old boy - recognized Ledger. Apparently, he had seen Brokeback Mountain. The kid, with no ill intent, said to Ledger "hey, aren't you one of the guys from the movie about gay cowboys?"

Ledger then went off on a profanity laced verbal assault of the kid that attacked the kid personally and attacked the Mormon Church - this kid is from a family that isn't Mormons - and demanded that our group be kicked out of the restaurant. The manager of the restaurant complied with Ledger's demand and we were asked to leave.

Because of that incident, I vowed to never see another movie that Ledger was in, which is why I will never watch the Dark Knight.
    WHAT!?!?!?!? This is an amazing story. But I need more details.

First, what restaurant in Park City was the scene of this event? I picture GarthUte as a man of the people who likes comfort food. I picture Hollywood actors preferring "California cuisine." If there is a restaurant that can cater to GarthUte, a gaggle of ten year old all-stars, and Heath Ledger at the same time, I want to go there.

Second, how did this particular kid react? His approach was amazing. One of my life goals is to approach every celebrity I meet and give them a sincere compliment on their stupidest roles ("Hey, Adrien Brody! I LOVED you in Angels in the Outfield!"). Brokeback Mountain is not a stupid role, but I like the kid's moxie ("Hey, aren't you Tom Hanks, that dude who was in that really boring movie about a shipwrecked volleyball?").

Third, who was he with? Any other superstars?

This is amazing!