Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Before I went and saw Wolf of Wall Street (movies have come a LONG way since saying "damn" in Gone with the Wind was controversial), I watched Fargo on Netflix. "Oh yeah!"

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Really enjoyed "Saving Mr. Banks." It wasn't at all what I expected, but that is a good thing. Both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson are terrific. Hanks was surprisingly good, especially in one killer scene towards the end. Highly recommended -- but to appreciate it fully you have to have seen "Mary Poppins" at some time in your life.
    Same here. Really enjoyed it. Lots of good lines in the film.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Banned
    Lone Survivor was as good as expected. Hollywood took some liberties with the story, but they got the important elements correct.

I would recommend this movie. Don't go expecting a fairy tale ending.

These guys lived up to their ethos and went out as warriors.

The Place Beyond the Pines. I thought it was okay, but overall not very enjoyable.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

watched Shadow Recruit on Monday, pretty good movie, I would give it 7 out of 10.

also watched a trailer for a sports movie coming in April. It's about a Cleveland Browns General Manager (played by Kevin Costner) looks like a dreadful movie (to use one of Majerus's phrases - looked like a poor man's Moneyball).

Everyone should see Lone Survivor. It was excellent (the changes were minor and not a big deal)

There were two people who walked out of the one I went to. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Everyone should see Lone Survivor. It was excellent (the changes were minor and not a big deal)

There were two people who walked out of the one I went to. Not sure why.
    I liked Lone Survivor as well, a very sobering movie in a 'Saving Private Ryan' sort of a way in that I think it is a very tough movie to watch but one that should be watched.

As for why people left early, considering that my movie lists over the past year -- because of children -- consist of mostly Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 and Despicable Me 2, I found it quite graphic and shocking along with being incredibly intense.

My guess is that if you aren't prepared or accustomed to that type of violence it was probably too much. I typically don't mind it, but it got to me... I dreamed about it all night after.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 01-23-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    "Thor, The Dark World."

Boooorrring. But I think its intended audience will like it.
    Yeah, it's a real snoozer. One of the worst movies of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Captain Phillips.
    Wow, just wow. Great movie, great acting. The last scene was amazing, and by far my favourite of the movie. I went to see it with my daughter and she was sobbing during the last scene. Hanks is Hanks and Abdi is amazing as well. Great action movie. Believable, great dialogue. No "5 cent tough guy" from the military guys, the ship crew was scared shitless, as they likely were in real life.....
    Insanely good movie. The final scene is one of the best scenes I've seen in a long time, and certainly one of Hanks' best performances. Also, the corpsman at the end had to be a legit corpsman because nobody can act that good. She almost stole the scene.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Captain Phillips, enjoyed it quite a bit. Very intense.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

jack ryan shadow recruit--I liked it

Saw Monuments Men. It was ok. Not as good as I expected but I enjoyed it.

Also saw Frozen. I was bored. (Side note, the Mormon grandmother who's insisting it's a gay agenda movie needs psychiatric help)

Also saw Frozen. I was bored. (Side note, the Mormon grandmother who's insisting it's a gay agenda movie needs psychiatric help)
    Agree on Monuments Men. Re Frozen, here's another, much more positive perspective from a religious person (not sure what faith):

http://mercyrivermusic.blogspot.com/...lly-about.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Saw the Lego movie with my son on Monday. It was good, but perhaps not quite as good as I was expecting based on some of the hype around it. Not as much wit as some of the kids movies tend to have, IMO.

Ranking the last three movies I saw in a theater:

1. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit -- Wow. Just, wow.
    2. Lone Survivor -- as always, the book was better.
    3. Monuments Men -- good but not great
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Saw "Non Stop" tonight with my son and daughter. We really liked it (to our surprise). It is a decent thriller and definitely worth the price of a ticket. A good cast amd some decent acting too. For a March release, pretty doggone good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Watched Ender's Game and Thor 2 yesterday. Enjoyed both movies a lot. Surprised EG didn't do better.

If you haven't read the book, you're missing out. Fantastic read, that's a lot deeper than it originally seems and even though it was written in 1984, technologically, perfectly describes message boards, emails, etc.

I am finally watching Frozen with my wife today. In the first 30 minutes, there have been two obvious references to gags from Arrested Developement:

- the little Weaselton duke who fancied himself a dancer did the Lindsey Bluth chicken dance ( cha chee cha)

- the line " we finish each other's . . . Sandwiches", a line first delivered by Michael and Lindsey Bluth.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-23-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I am finally watching Frozen with my wife today.
    I watched this for the first time this weekend too. I really liked the songs. The story line was quite lacking.

I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier last night. It was about on par with Avengers in regards to action. Not as funny. I liked it better than the first Captain America. Like all superhero movies, you have to suspend belief on most things. Guy shoots heavy machine gun at Captain America for at least 20 seconds, all bullets bounce off shield as he slowly approaches bad guy, when the bad guy could have just lowered his aim by two feet and wiped out CA's legs. Same thing at the end, CA is so hurt he can barely stand to pull the switch that will save mankind, but 30 seconds later he is lifting a 2 ton steel beam off a fallen comrade. So if you liked the first CA movie, or liked Avengers, then you will like this movie. Also they could shown more body shots of Scarlet Johanssen and less close ups of her face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Guy shoots heavy machine gun at Captain America for at least 20 seconds, all bullets bounce off shield as he slowly approaches bad guy, when the bad guy could have just lowered his aim by two feet and wiped out CA's legs.
    How about a spoiler alert, jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    How about a spoiler alert, jerk!
    Did I mention that he throws his shield a lot too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Did I mention that he throws his shield a lot too?
    You're dead to me.

I watch Marvel movies to relive my boyhood. It's as simple as that.

--Yeats

Saw noah last night. Probably my favorite movie in the last couple of years. Completely brilliant.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Very much enjoyed the latest installment of Captain America. A different sort of movie, but overall very good.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Very much enjoyed the latest installment of Captain America. A different sort of movie, but overall very good.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    Went with the kids yesterday. We all liked it as well.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Friday night my son and I watched "The Mission," which I had seen only once, when it was first released in 1986. I was reminded how heartbreaking that story is. Some fine acting by Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons when they were young. Minor roles by Aidan Quinn and Liam Neeson -- they both look like kids. The score by Ennio Morricone is beautiful too.

--Yeats

Saw "Draft Day" last night with my wife and daughter, and absolutely loved it. The script is good and the story is well-told. I was engaged throughout the movie. I'm a little surprised it hasn't done better, but not everyone likes a sports movie. It will do well in the online/DVD market. Anyway, highly recommended.

--Yeats

good to know. The previews didn't made it look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    good to know. The previews didn't made it look good.
    As with any movie, the viewer has to suspend disbelief a bit. Kind of like "Gravity."

--Yeats