Thread: Classical piano, symphony, orchestra, post your favorites

Classical piano, symphony, orchestra, post your favorites

I have an ABC(anything but country) policy on my Ipod and my car. Bach next to Nirvana, Public Enemy with The Beatles. But I have a love for classical piano. And of that genre, Raindrops is my all time favorite:

What about your favorites. What moves you? What relaxes you?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Mozart's huge output of piano concertos is my favorite music in the world. If I want to just listen at an intellecutual level, if I need music to help me focus and screw down, if I'm in a celebratory or happy mood, if I'm sad, Mozart's piano concertos tend to be my favorite music. Oddly, I don't like Mozart's symponies or other compositions nearly as well. His piano concertos are simply my favorite music in the world. I never tire of them, they never cease to move me very profoundly. And there are so many!

It's also amazing how different they sound depending on the performer. Vladimir Ashkenazy is probably my favorite but I've been listening to Murray Paraiah lately for a change.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-27-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Claude Debussy - Premiere Arabesque:

My favorite by Debussy:

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Here's a nice selection of Yo-Yo Ma Bach cello suites...

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    My favorite by Debussy:
    That is my favorite to play.
    Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" 1st mvmt. Another favorite to play because it's relaxing and not too difficult.
    Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

As Mozart always works for for SU, this one works for me every time I hear it:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by macktruck32 View Post
    Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" 1st mvmt. Another favorite to play because it's relaxing and not too difficult.
    That is a small slice of heaven.

The symphony played this 2 weeks ago. I thought it was really good. It was amazing watching the soloist with his right hand firmly attached to the bench

I was in the mood tonight to listen to Shenandoah. This is of my favorite renditions by the San Francisco group chanticleer.

http://youtu.be/1QvoqvX2VPE

2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

I am a big Aaron Copeland fan. Vivaldi too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell