Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

I've landed a great job working for a good sized real estate development down south of Provo. Decent money with a chance to build up some equity in the business and it has been very rewarding and challenging. I probably spend about 40% of my time doing legal stuff and the rest is spent helping manage the project and trying to get things rolling to take advantage of the uptick in the housing market. The only problem is the 50 minute commute each way (if traffic is good).

We are looking at buying a house somewhere closer to where I work. My wife works part time in Murray, so we don't want to move too far south. Is there anywhere in the UC that isn't ultra conservative and where it wouldn't feel like a tea party rally every Sunday at church? We lived with my in-laws in their ward in the UC for a couple of months when I finished law school and that is how it felt most of the time. We live in a pretty moderate neighborhood right now that I really enjoy and I really don't want to lose that. I just have very little hope of finding that in the UC or even northern SL County. Any good advice? Is there somewhere down there where there is at least a little tolerance for people who don't fall in line with the Eagle Forum?

Move to Draper and drive over traverse ridge. Where in the UC is your work?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    I've landed a great job working for a good sized real estate development down south of Provo. Decent money with a chance to build up some equity in the business and it has been very rewarding and challenging. I probably spend about 40% of my time doing legal stuff and the rest is spent helping manage the project and trying to get things rolling to take advantage of the uptick in the housing market. The only problem is the 50 minute commute each way (if traffic is good).

We are looking at buying a house somewhere closer to where I work. My wife works part time in Murray, so we don't want to move too far south. Is there anywhere in the UC that isn't ultra conservative and where it wouldn't feel like a tea party rally every Sunday at church? We lived with my in-laws in their ward in the UC for a couple of months when I finished law school and that is how it felt most of the time. We live in a pretty moderate neighborhood right now that I really enjoy and I really don't want to lose that. I just have very little hope of finding that in the UC or even northern SL County. Any good advice? Is there somewhere down there where there is at least a little tolerance for people who don't fall in line with the Eagle Forum?
    Draper, perhaps?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Goshen...the liberal hub of Utah County...thank me later.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Zoob.

Good advice?

"don't"

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Live in Utah County, but not of Utah County.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Live in Utah County, but not of Utah County.
    Like I do. DU I am in Northern UC and I don't feel like my ward is that way. Lots of transplants here

Cris's nephew and his wife ran into the same issue. Most of his work is in SL County and she got a job offer in Provo that she couldn't turn down. They found a house in Saratoga Springs that was about 2/3 the price of the same size home in SL County, has an amazing view of the lake and is convenient for both of them. And when the weather's nice they sit out on the deck and have a drink or a beer or whatever and no one has said anything to them yet. I think once you're out of the Provo/Orem complex Utah County is a lot less stereotypical of how most people see Utah County.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Move to Draper and drive over traverse ridge. Where in the UC is your work?
    Mapleton.

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    Goshen...the liberal hub of Utah County...thank me later.
    I was actually surprised by that. I went through and looked at the 2012 Gubernatorial election results by precinct for the UC. Peter Cooke, about as moderate a politician as you can get, got his highest and third highest percentages from the two precincts in Goshen. I have in laws that live over the hill in Santaquin and liberal is the last way I would describe the people there. I checked the results from Draper and it seems to be about 15% higher on average than the precincts just over the mountain in Lehi. I always thought the bubble was a little less defined, but it looks like the point of the mountain is the point of no return.

Also, I am not moving to Goshen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Zoob.
    Don't make this harder for me than it already is.

My PA lives in American Fork and commutes to Murray daily. She doesn't mind the drive and proximity of the freeway to where work is makes the time pretty short.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I am going on the assumption you are being serious. It amazes me how sometimes liberal thinking, open minded Utes have the very same thought process as their closed minded, conservative Cougar advesaries.

Really, you don't think there is an element in Utah County that doesn't attend church regularly and after stating their position don't still get harassed? Well I haven't talked to everyone, but my small sample size of two of my boys is they do perfectly well there not attending church regularly.

Now I did fail as a father as the son in Bountiful also is not a regular attender. He gets harassed more than the boys in Utah County.

Oh and my brother in Alpine has a neighgor he tells me is a real pain in the butt. He is a Ute and flaunts every FB win. He also said he does take grief from numerous Ute fans in his ward when the Utes win. He said he almost skips church whenever the Utes do something well.

Is Utah County more conservative, sure. Would I rather be in a county where the Eagle Forum feels welcome more than a County Rocky Anderson feels comfortable, your damn rights.

All in all though unless you have your head up your butt, which I assume you don't, you can find what is comfortable for you in each County.

Well by damn, better go with what byu71 says.....

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
    Is Utah County more conservative, sure. Would I rather be in a county where the Eagle Forum feels welcome more than a County Rocky Anderson feels comfortable, your damn rights.
    I will anxiously await your input on the liquor laws thread.

It is a trade off. Do I wish in some area's the dominant religion didn't have so much influence, yes most definitely. Until I hear a good argument for the current liquor laws besides the Word of Wisdom, I am against the current laws.

Like I said though it is a trade off. Would I rather live in a state dominated by the values of the predominant religion, which probably coincide with the other religions or would I rather live in a state dominated by whatever social justice agenda California is run by, hands down Utah.

It is a good thing we don't all want the same thing or we would all be bidding on one house in one country in one state in one city.

And living in Salt Lake County I see an entirely different side of it. I married an Oremite that I am still trying to sway to the opposite side of what she was raised in. I think moderation between UT county and CA is a good place to be.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

It is a trade off. Do I wish in some area's the dominant religion didn't have so much influence, yes most definitely. Until I hear a good argument for the current liquor laws besides the Word of Wisdom, I am against the current laws.

Like I said though it is a trade off. Would I rather live in a state dominated by the values of the predominant religion, which probably coincide with the other religions or would I rather live in a state dominated by whatever social justice agenda California is run by, hands down Utah.

It is a good thing we don't all want the same thing or we would all be bidding on one house in one country in one state in one city.
    Why is it that every time I do business with someone in Utah County they want to drop their current church calling, church lineage or background with Nuskin? I can't tell you the number of times someone in UC has told me that one of their partners is a stake president or something. I usually take that as a red flag to not do business with them.

My Dad once offered a smoke to a local church leader in my hometown. Does that count for anything?

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Now I did fail as a father as the son in Bountiful also is not a regular attender. He gets harassed more than the boys in Utah County.
    Davis County is UC north. Probably more conservative. They split up SL County between Utah and Davis Counties for election and fellowshipping purposes.

If you had any courage at all you would target the most conservative hood in the UC and become the resident liberal pariah. Hell, you would be a godsend to break up their homogeneity!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Why is it that every time I do business with someone in Utah County they want to drop their current church calling, church lineage or background with Nuskin? I can't tell you the number of times someone in UC has told me that one of their partners is a stake president or something. I usually take that as a red flag to not do business with them.
    Simple: They're zoobs.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

I guess my real question would be...who would your rather have a drink with, Gayle Ruzicka or Rocky Anderson?

I guess my real question would be...who would your rather have a drink with, Gayle Ruzicka or Rocky Anderson?
    Oh Gayle. She's got the goods on all the senators. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I call major BS unless either you have only done business in Utah County one time or more than likely, you come across to people as a pompous, self righteous ass and they think you will be impressed with their calling.

I don't know about Rocky but I bet Gayle is an animal in the sack.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    I don't know about Rocky but I bet Gayle is an animal in the sack.
    I will bet if they crawled in one together she would play the male role and he would be more than happy to play female.

Now that is just kinky, yet very interesting, talk!

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

I am going on the assumption you are being serious. It amazes me how sometimes liberal thinking, open minded Utes have the very same thought process as their closed minded, conservative Cougar advesaries.

Really, you don't think there is an element in Utah County that doesn't attend church regularly and after stating their position don't still get harassed? Well I haven't talked to everyone, but my small sample size of two of my boys is they do perfectly well there not attending church regularly.

Oh and my brother in Alpine has a neighgor he tells me is a real pain in the butt. He is a Ute and flaunts every FB win. He also said he does take grief from numerous Ute fans in his ward when the Utes win. He said he almost skips church whenever the Utes do something well.

All in all though unless you have your head up your butt, which I assume you don't, you can find what is comfortable for you in each County.
    I'm not looking for someplace with a bunch of liberals, I'm looking for someplace where political ideologies aren't viewed as black and white, right and wrong. My only previous experience in the UC was like that. I just don't like politics in church at all.

I call major BS unless either you have only done business in Utah County one time or more than likely, you come across to people as a pompous, self righteous ass and they think you will be impressed with their calling.
    BYU71, I'd like to tell you about my church calling. I think you'll be impressed.

Hmmm... if those are my two choices, I must be a self-righteous pompous ass. Thanks for the clarification. Typically though, when it happens, I usually give them a blank stare and ask them what a Stake President is.

My personal favorite was one of my sales people came across this guy in Orem who demanded that he meet with me directly. I went and met with him and he had on display his quad and a picture behind him of Abraham Lincoln praying. He told me that he wanted to meet face to face because he 'wanted to look into my soul.' So he stared at me for a while and then said, "Are you trustworthy?" And I said, "I try to be." He said, "That disturbs me, what do you mean that you 'try to be', either you are or you aren't?" I said, "Well, I've been doing business for a long time, I try to do the right thing, but I imagine that there are some people out there who might not agree with that." He said, "Like who?" And I said, "I have no idea, but I've yet to meet a businessman yet who gets 100% positive reviews."

So he stared at me for a while and then said, "I have perceived that you are a good man, I will do business with you." So I'm on red alert at this point. He then talks to me about one partner who is a former mission president and another who is in the stake presidency and I just smile and nod.

We leave and I tell my salesperson that there is no way we are doing business with a guy like that because someone who wears their religion like that has something to hide. My salesperson begs and begs that we do it because it was a somewhat large ticket item. I relented and we did business with him and it was the biggest mistake of my professional career. Total sleezeball it turned out. Moral of the story, always go with your gut, watch out for the guys who prefer to display their religion vs just live it.

I've got others, including one that happened about 3 months ago with a company that involves a former BYU basketball player and two people I was with that weren't even mormon.