Ok, a few more thoughts I've had recently......

I've had a standing rule that I won't do business with family, friends, or people I see on a regular basis (i.e. ward/stake members, neighbors). By business, I mean investments, investing, accountant, dentist, doctor, attorney.......basically when there's health or money involved, I try to find professionals that come highly recommended from others, but, have no real attachment to my daily/weekly life. If things go south, I don't want to have to interact with that person with any regularity. In Utah, I've already broken that rule by hiring my wife's close friend as a realtor, and her husband as a CPA/tax guy. They are both close to retirement, so I figure they're just transitional until we find someone permanent.

Anyway, I have a high school friend who is supposed to be an outstanding dentist. Some of my other high school friends have gone to him for years without issue. He's not LDS, doesn't live near me, and I haven't seen him for 15 years. He does, however, live a couple of blocks from my parents, although in 15 years they've not had much interaction with him. Do you think he meets my criteria as an arm-length professional, or should I keep looking around?? -- maybe this should go under a "stupid thoughts" thread or something.