Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

Hybrid View

Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

I've landed a great job working for a good sized real estate development down south of Provo. Decent money with a chance to build up some equity in the business and it has been very rewarding and challenging. I probably spend about 40% of my time doing legal stuff and the rest is spent helping manage the project and trying to get things rolling to take advantage of the uptick in the housing market. The only problem is the 50 minute commute each way (if traffic is good).

We are looking at buying a house somewhere closer to where I work. My wife works part time in Murray, so we don't want to move too far south. Is there anywhere in the UC that isn't ultra conservative and where it wouldn't feel like a tea party rally every Sunday at church? We lived with my in-laws in their ward in the UC for a couple of months when I finished law school and that is how it felt most of the time. We live in a pretty moderate neighborhood right now that I really enjoy and I really don't want to lose that. I just have very little hope of finding that in the UC or even northern SL County. Any good advice? Is there somewhere down there where there is at least a little tolerance for people who don't fall in line with the Eagle Forum?

Move to Draper and drive over traverse ridge. Where in the UC is your work?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    I've landed a great job working for a good sized real estate development down south of Provo. Decent money with a chance to build up some equity in the business and it has been very rewarding and challenging. I probably spend about 40% of my time doing legal stuff and the rest is spent helping manage the project and trying to get things rolling to take advantage of the uptick in the housing market. The only problem is the 50 minute commute each way (if traffic is good).

We are looking at buying a house somewhere closer to where I work. My wife works part time in Murray, so we don't want to move too far south. Is there anywhere in the UC that isn't ultra conservative and where it wouldn't feel like a tea party rally every Sunday at church? We lived with my in-laws in their ward in the UC for a couple of months when I finished law school and that is how it felt most of the time. We live in a pretty moderate neighborhood right now that I really enjoy and I really don't want to lose that. I just have very little hope of finding that in the UC or even northern SL County. Any good advice? Is there somewhere down there where there is at least a little tolerance for people who don't fall in line with the Eagle Forum?
    Draper, perhaps?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Goshen...the liberal hub of Utah County...thank me later.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Move to Draper and drive over traverse ridge. Where in the UC is your work?
    Mapleton.

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    Goshen...the liberal hub of Utah County...thank me later.
    I was actually surprised by that. I went through and looked at the 2012 Gubernatorial election results by precinct for the UC. Peter Cooke, about as moderate a politician as you can get, got his highest and third highest percentages from the two precincts in Goshen. I have in laws that live over the hill in Santaquin and liberal is the last way I would describe the people there. I checked the results from Draper and it seems to be about 15% higher on average than the precincts just over the mountain in Lehi. I always thought the bubble was a little less defined, but it looks like the point of the mountain is the point of no return.

Also, I am not moving to Goshen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Zoob.
    Don't make this harder for me than it already is.

Zoob.

Live in Utah County, but not of Utah County.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Live in Utah County, but not of Utah County.
    Like I do. DU I am in Northern UC and I don't feel like my ward is that way. Lots of transplants here

Good advice?

"don't"

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Cris's nephew and his wife ran into the same issue. Most of his work is in SL County and she got a job offer in Provo that she couldn't turn down. They found a house in Saratoga Springs that was about 2/3 the price of the same size home in SL County, has an amazing view of the lake and is convenient for both of them. And when the weather's nice they sit out on the deck and have a drink or a beer or whatever and no one has said anything to them yet. I think once you're out of the Provo/Orem complex Utah County is a lot less stereotypical of how most people see Utah County.

My PA lives in American Fork and commutes to Murray daily. She doesn't mind the drive and proximity of the freeway to where work is makes the time pretty short.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I lived in AF right after I got married; wife worked in Orem and I worked in Salt Lake. I've got to say, it was a great place to live. There is now a Costco where I used to live, though.

Move to Utah Valley. I think that the view of the mountains in Utah County is prettier than the view of the mountains in Salt Lake.

I am going on the assumption you are being serious. It amazes me how sometimes liberal thinking, open minded Utes have the very same thought process as their closed minded, conservative Cougar advesaries.

Really, you don't think there is an element in Utah County that doesn't attend church regularly and after stating their position don't still get harassed? Well I haven't talked to everyone, but my small sample size of two of my boys is they do perfectly well there not attending church regularly.

Now I did fail as a father as the son in Bountiful also is not a regular attender. He gets harassed more than the boys in Utah County.

Oh and my brother in Alpine has a neighgor he tells me is a real pain in the butt. He is a Ute and flaunts every FB win. He also said he does take grief from numerous Ute fans in his ward when the Utes win. He said he almost skips church whenever the Utes do something well.

Is Utah County more conservative, sure. Would I rather be in a county where the Eagle Forum feels welcome more than a County Rocky Anderson feels comfortable, your damn rights.

All in all though unless you have your head up your butt, which I assume you don't, you can find what is comfortable for you in each County.

Quote Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
    Is Utah County more conservative, sure. Would I rather be in a county where the Eagle Forum feels welcome more than a County Rocky Anderson feels comfortable, your damn rights.
    I will anxiously await your input on the liquor laws thread.

It is a trade off. Do I wish in some area's the dominant religion didn't have so much influence, yes most definitely. Until I hear a good argument for the current liquor laws besides the Word of Wisdom, I am against the current laws.

Like I said though it is a trade off. Would I rather live in a state dominated by the values of the predominant religion, which probably coincide with the other religions or would I rather live in a state dominated by whatever social justice agenda California is run by, hands down Utah.

It is a good thing we don't all want the same thing or we would all be bidding on one house in one country in one state in one city.

It is a trade off. Do I wish in some area's the dominant religion didn't have so much influence, yes most definitely. Until I hear a good argument for the current liquor laws besides the Word of Wisdom, I am against the current laws.

Like I said though it is a trade off. Would I rather live in a state dominated by the values of the predominant religion, which probably coincide with the other religions or would I rather live in a state dominated by whatever social justice agenda California is run by, hands down Utah.

It is a good thing we don't all want the same thing or we would all be bidding on one house in one country in one state in one city.
    Why is it that every time I do business with someone in Utah County they want to drop their current church calling, church lineage or background with Nuskin? I can't tell you the number of times someone in UC has told me that one of their partners is a stake president or something. I usually take that as a red flag to not do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Why is it that every time I do business with someone in Utah County they want to drop their current church calling, church lineage or background with Nuskin? I can't tell you the number of times someone in UC has told me that one of their partners is a stake president or something. I usually take that as a red flag to not do business with them.
    Simple: They're zoobs.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I call major BS unless either you have only done business in Utah County one time or more than likely, you come across to people as a pompous, self righteous ass and they think you will be impressed with their calling.

I guess my real question would be...who would your rather have a drink with, Gayle Ruzicka or Rocky Anderson?

I guess my real question would be...who would your rather have a drink with, Gayle Ruzicka or Rocky Anderson?
    Oh Gayle. She's got the goods on all the senators. That would be awesome.

Now I did fail as a father as the son in Bountiful also is not a regular attender. He gets harassed more than the boys in Utah County.
    Davis County is UC north. Probably more conservative. They split up SL County between Utah and Davis Counties for election and fellowshipping purposes.

I am going on the assumption you are being serious. It amazes me how sometimes liberal thinking, open minded Utes have the very same thought process as their closed minded, conservative Cougar advesaries.

Really, you don't think there is an element in Utah County that doesn't attend church regularly and after stating their position don't still get harassed? Well I haven't talked to everyone, but my small sample size of two of my boys is they do perfectly well there not attending church regularly.

Oh and my brother in Alpine has a neighgor he tells me is a real pain in the butt. He is a Ute and flaunts every FB win. He also said he does take grief from numerous Ute fans in his ward when the Utes win. He said he almost skips church whenever the Utes do something well.

All in all though unless you have your head up your butt, which I assume you don't, you can find what is comfortable for you in each County.
    I'm not looking for someplace with a bunch of liberals, I'm looking for someplace where political ideologies aren't viewed as black and white, right and wrong. My only previous experience in the UC was like that. I just don't like politics in church at all.

If I had to move to the UC (don't call it that), I'd move as close as possible to Hobble Creek golf course, and not give a damn what my neighborhood or ward politics were.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

In June of 2012 Forbes named Provo best for career and business.

I am pretty sure Gail Rudzika doesn't live in Provo though.

Bear with me guys......

It appears after 23 years away, there's a strong possibility will be moving back to Salt Lake. For various reasons, it makes me nervous, even a little scared.

My two older kids are graduated from high school, but, I have a boy who will be entering 9th grade next year. He's a very good athlete. My oldest daughter plays D1 softball, and I think the boy has a shot at D1 baseball, and is also an above average basketball and football player as well. Our high school is a powerhouse in athletics, winning the Maxpreps Cup several times, and always in the mix for top 10. Everything is well attended by the community. Every basketball and football game is packed SRO. Even baseball games are crowded. As you might imagine, it has strongly developed competitive sports programs for 9th graders.

After doing some initial research today, I'm sick to my stomach about the move. Unless I'm wrong, I don't see that there is 9th grade football or baseball, and basketball plays a minuscule schedule -- like 8 games or so.

Can you comment on 9th grade athletics in high school/junior high in Utah. Is there really no freshman football? No baseball? Limited basketball? Do the 9th graders typically play "up" with the Sophomores? What about junior high 9th graders -- can they play with the high school teams?

We would probably be looking at homes primarily in Highland, Olympus or Skyline boundaries. Please advise.....
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Well by damn, better go with what byu71 says.....

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

And living in Salt Lake County I see an entirely different side of it. I married an Oremite that I am still trying to sway to the opposite side of what she was raised in. I think moderation between UT county and CA is a good place to be.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

My Dad once offered a smoke to a local church leader in my hometown. Does that count for anything?

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

If you had any courage at all you would target the most conservative hood in the UC and become the resident liberal pariah. Hell, you would be a godsend to break up their homogeneity!

I don't know about Rocky but I bet Gayle is an animal in the sack.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.