Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I know lots of 9th graders in both SLC and Granite school district who have played varsity or jv, as hostile says. A word of caution: if your sport really is baseball, my impression is the quality in both SLC and Granite is pretty low. At East and Olympus for example, I think about 80 boys play lacrosse, and 15 or 20 play baseball. It is not very popular. I could be wrong, but Jordan, Canyons, and northern Utah County take baseball a lot more seriously (Taylorsville, Bingham, etc.)
    In reality, if collegiate baseball is the goal, you could skip high school ball altogether and be fine. Just hook up with a solid showcase program, but high school has that "community" and team feel that showcase doesn't. I'd like that for him as well.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    In reality, if collegiate baseball is the goal, you could skip high school ball altogether and be fine. Just hook up with a solid showcase program, but high school has that "community" and team feel that showcase doesn't. I'd like that for him as well.
    There are lots of supercomp teams/leagues for baseball similar to AAU for basketball. That may be more impt if college is the goal but I dont know much about it. Most hs players also play supercomp.

As a follow-up. Does anyone have any insight into Judge Memorial HS -- specifically as an active LDS student attending Judge?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

All the guys who go to judge wear Royal Robbin ball caps and had long hair they tucked behind their ears.

Of course I may be operating off of 22 year old information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, a few more thoughts I've had recently......

I've had a standing rule that I won't do business with family, friends, or people I see on a regular basis (i.e. ward/stake members, neighbors). By business, I mean investments, investing, accountant, dentist, doctor, attorney.......basically when there's health or money involved, I try to find professionals that come highly recommended from others, but, have no real attachment to my daily/weekly life. If things go south, I don't want to have to interact with that person with any regularity. In Utah, I've already broken that rule by hiring my wife's close friend as a realtor, and her husband as a CPA/tax guy. They are both close to retirement, so I figure they're just transitional until we find someone permanent.

Anyway, I have a high school friend who is supposed to be an outstanding dentist. Some of my other high school friends have gone to him for years without issue. He's not LDS, doesn't live near me, and I haven't seen him for 15 years. He does, however, live a couple of blocks from my parents, although in 15 years they've not had much interaction with him. Do you think he meets my criteria as an arm-length professional, or should I keep looking around?? -- maybe this should go under a "stupid thoughts" thread or something.

Ok, a few more thoughts I've had recently......

I've had a standing rule that I won't do business with family, friends, or people I see on a regular basis (i.e. ward/stake members, neighbors). By business, I mean investments, investing, accountant, dentist, doctor, attorney.......basically when there's health or money involved, I try to find professionals that come highly recommended from others, but, have no real attachment to my daily/weekly life. If things go south, I don't want to have to interact with that person with any regularity. In Utah, I've already broken that rule by hiring my wife's close friend as a realtor, and her husband as a CPA/tax guy. They are both close to retirement, so I figure they're just transitional until we find someone permanent.

Anyway, I have a high school friend who is supposed to be an outstanding dentist. Some of my other high school friends have gone to him for years without issue. He's not LDS, doesn't live near me, and I haven't seen him for 15 years. He does, however, live a couple of blocks from my parents, although in 15 years they've not had much interaction with him. Do you think he meets my criteria as an arm-length professional, or should I keep looking around?? -- maybe this should go under a "stupid thoughts" thread or something.
    Since no one else has posted, I thought I would add some thoughts.

1. If you have not seen him for 15 years, can he still be called a friend. Sounds more like an acquaintance at this point.
    2. Even if just an acquaintance, I wouldn't do it. There are a bunch of people I knew in H.S. who are pretty accomplished, but wouldn't go to them for services, would still be weird. I mean, I knew them when they were stupid kids like me and I could never shake that.

http://fox13now.com/2016/07/06/see-w...es-in-america/

I can concur with this. Utah has more than its fair share of incompetent skid marks behind the wheel.

http://fox13now.com/2016/07/06/see-w...es-in-america/

I can concur with this. Utah has more than its fair share of incompetent skid marks behind the wheel.
    that looks more like a list of the best cities in America

This past month has really solidified that I was away too long. With HS baseball season in full bloom now, we've played some really funky high schools. East, West, Highland, Skyline, Olympus, Murray, Bountiful, Viewmont, Davis, Orem, Provo, Judge etc..... Those I've got. Don't need directions. But, here's a few of the teams we've played, or have seen play.....

Wake(something)
    Fremont
    Lone Peak
    Salem Hills
    Canyon Hills? -- Sandy
    Stansbury
    Herriman
    Northridge?

I'm pretty sure these are all less than 25 years old. Also, NEWSFLASH - Granite closed.

This past month has really solidified that I was away too long. With HS baseball season in full bloom now, we've played some really funky high schools. East, West, Highland, Skyline, Olympus, Murray, Bountiful, Viewmont, Davis, Orem, Provo, Judge etc..... Those I've got. Don't need directions. But, here's a few of the teams we've played, or have seen play.....

Wake(something)
    West Lake? If so, that's in Saratoga Springs on the west side of Utah Lake. Proud home of Mia Love.

Fremont
    Lone Peak
    Salem Hills
    Canyon Hills? -- Sandy
    Corner Canyon? It's in Sandy.

Stansbury
    Stansbury is Stansbury Park. The high class end of Tooele.

Herriman
    SW corner of the valley

Northridge?
    Never been quite sure where Northridge is located.
    I'm pretty sure these are all less than 25 years old. Also, NEWSFLASH - Granite closed.
    No nearly as many kids on the east side. Olympus was in a death spiral for a while too until they picked up all the kids from Granite. Then they rebuilt Olympus. You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Never been quite sure where Northridge is located.
    Northridge is in Layton, kind of the north east side of the city.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Northridge is in Layton, kind of the north east side of the city.
    Proud Northridge alum! It is straight out the main gate from Hill Airforce base.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 04-04-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Wallethub study says 90 percent LDS Church membership makes Provo "least diverse" population in the country.....

https://www.ksl.com/article/46530719/provo-is-one-of-the-least-diverse-cities-in-america-a-new-study-says-orem-isnt-far-behind

Wallethub study says 90 percent LDS Church membership makes Provo "least diverse" population in the country.....

https://www.ksl.com/article/46530719/provo-is-one-of-the-least-diverse-cities-in-america-a-new-study-says-orem-isnt-far-behind
    Meanwhile, DesNews decries the destabilization of Utah County by all the outsiders, blames change to two hour sessions on the near-heathen.