Thread: Introducing Going Yard

Introducing Going Yard

Really excited about the new board. Kudos to all that got it off the ground.

A little about me: I attended the U with the intention of earning a German degree and then studying international business. I earned the German degree but after just one business class I ran as fast as I could to the College of Engineering and immediately began pursuing a Civil Engineering degree. One of the best decisions I ever made. My wife and I lived in the old section of married student housing on Sunnyside (I remember those cinder block walls like it was yesterday). We loved every minute that we lived on campus. Now that I live out of state, I visit our beautiful campus every time I'm in town to take a stroll down memory lane.

I grew up a Ute fan alongside OrangeUte. As a little kid his family would take me to the basketball and football games whenever they had an extra ticket. The first time I saw a naked woman was when the streaker rolled around at mid field. She entered the field right next to where Orange and I were hanging out. It was a horrifying site, as anyone who witnessed the scene will attest. However, I'm happy to report that I have overcome my fear of naked women (at least some).

Welcome. I am assuming "Going Yard" is a baseball reference. What is the connection?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Going Yard View Post

A little about me: I attended the U with the intention of earning a German degree and then studying international business. I earned the German degree but after just one business class I ran as fast as I could to the College of Engineering and immediately began pursuing a Civil Engineering degree. One of the best decisions I ever made. My wife and I lived in the old section of married student housing on Sunnyside (I remember those cinder block walls like it was yesterday). We loved every minute that we lived on campus. Now that I live out of state, I visit our beautiful campus every time I'm in town to take a stroll down memory lane.

I grew up a Ute fan alongside OrangeUte. As a little kid his family would take me to the basketball and football games whenever they had an extra ticket. The first time I saw a naked woman was when the streaker rolled around at mid field. She entered the field right next to where Orange and I were hanging out. It was a horrifying site, as anyone who witnessed the scene will attest. However, I'm happy to report that I have overcome my fear of naked women (at least some).
    Welcome, Going Yard! It is very reassuring to see that OrangeUte has normal friends. (I consider myself his friend, which has made me worry about him.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Willkommen. Ich bin ein bliestif.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Welcome. I am assuming "Going Yard" is a baseball reference. What is the connection?
    You are correct. I kid my wife that baseball was my first true love and she's second.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Willkommen. Ich bin ein bliestif.
    Du hast kleinen bliestif. Meinen bliestif ist dick.

that is all of the german i remember. that and the time Going Yard's mom taught me how to say Ass in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Going Yard View Post

back in the day, when it was just rice stadium, we were able to sneak into games pretty easy using one ticket and dropping it through the chainlink fence to one another. good luck doing that now that the pac 12 came a callin'. those were good times. glad you are here!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    back in the day, when it was just rice stadium, we were able to sneak into games pretty easy using one ticket and dropping it through the chainlink fence to one another. good luck doing that now that the pac 12 came a callin'. those were good times. glad you are here!
    Anybody else remember the free Ute Football tickets at Dan's Foods? The folks would fill the family station wagon with all the neighbor kids and haul them up to the games. Good times.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Anybody else remember the free Ute Football tickets at Dan's Foods? The folks would fill the family station wagon with all the neighbor kids and haul them up to the games. Good times.
    I remember that and 2Fer season tickets. Those were great years to be growing up a ute fan. Sucked to lose to byu but it was great to not be a byu fan.

I'm with going yard - love taking a day on vacation to go up to campus. What a great place.