Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of board name?

Origin of board name?

Congrats on the new board boys. It really looks nice. I hope this becomes the gathering place for intelligent Ute posters...and LAUte.

What is the story behind the name? If the BYU rivalry wasn't dying a slow and certain death, I would have thought "Utah By 3" would have been more apropos. Regardless, I hope this place takes off, and gives Utah (and friendly BYU) fans another option, than the abomination that is ufn.

-AV

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Congrats on the new board boys. It really looks nice. I hope this becomes the gathering place for intelligent Ute posters...and LAUte.

What is the story behind the name? If the BYU rivalry wasn't dying a slow and certain death, I would have thought "Utah By 3" would have been more apropos. Regardless, I hope this place takes off, and gives Utah (and friendly BYU) fans another option, than the abomination that is ufn.

-AV
    It is from the 1970s and 80s, a phrase coined by Salt Lake City radio personality Tom Barberi. He was the original "voice of reason". He also was the guy who called Gail Ruzicka and her followers At the Eagle forum Ruzickatistas.

Don't you have someplace else you need to be right now?

()

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Doesn't Tom Barberi's daughter work on the X96 morning show?

Do you guys have a top secret gang over here? I was promised admission.

Quote Originally Posted by yohio View Post
    eye_rolling_smiley.gif

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

-AV
    KALL radio was the home of Utah sports before there was a dedicated channel to Utah sports. Tom Barberi, who was the big radio personality on KALL radio who was a Utah fan and would always end his broadcasts with his signature "Utah by 5" prediction for the upcoming game, be it football or basketball. For us longtime Ute fans, it's the perfect name for this board.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    KALL radio was the home of Utah sports before there was a dedicated channel to Utah sports. Tom Barberi, who was the big radio personality on KALL radio who was a Utah fan and would always end his broadcasts with his signature "Utah by 5" prediction for the upcoming game, be it football or basketball. For us longtime Ute fans, it's the perfect name for this board.

This GarthUte guy seems like a tool, I hope IlPad comes here though.

IIRC it wasn't Tom Barberi, but rather Chris Corey (rip) who coined the phrase. But Barberi made it famous. (Bill Marcroft also had a hand in it having been the first one to announce it during the game broadcast when he heard the crowd chanting 'Utah by Five!', but that account may be apocryphal)

This comes from an advertising campaign on KALL Radio from around 1979 when we were unbelievably bad in what has become the premiere college sport.

In the following years Tom Barberi would answer 'Utah by 5!' whenever anybody asked him for his pick on who would win the game. The name stuck and is cemented in Ute lore forever.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    IIRC it wasn't Tom Barberi, but rather Chris Corey (rip) who coined the phrase. But Barberi made it famous. (Bill Marcroft also had a hand in it having been the first one to announce it during the game broadcast when he heard the crowd chanting 'Utah by Five!', but that account may be apocryphal)

This comes from an advertising campaign on KALL Radio from around 1979 when we were unbelievably bad in what has become the premiere college sport.

In the following years Tom Barberi would answer 'Utah by 5!' whenever anybody asked him for his pick on who would win the game. The name stuck and is cemented in Ute lore forever.
    I think you are right. I was a senior at the U that year (and starting law school in the fall) and remember it pretty well. Since those were not great days for Utah football it became kind of a rallying cry.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Doesn't Tom Barberi's daughter work on the X96 morning show?
    Yes, Gina Barberri has been on Radio From Hell for about 15 years or so now. Tom occasionally is on as a guest although its been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yes, Gina Barberri has been on Radio From Hell for about 15 years or so now. Tom occasionally is on as a guest although its been a while.
    Ah, Radio From Hell! I loved that show. Started off from KJQ (more or less) when I was in HS, and was a morning staple of mine when I was a mail carrier with an early route at BYU. They are still going strong then?

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Some would say that KALL/ESPN 700 isn't truly dedicated to Utah sports, what with its full-service format to all things in the state with its hosts. Regardless, Utah's partnership with KALL predates the entireity of the sports-talk radio format. I don't know if anyone's ever done the research on it, but if you told me the U.'s affiliation with one radio station was longer than any other school's in the country, I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, in interviewing Tom for my book, he lent Bill Howard an assist for coming up with the slogan.

As for the board naming sentiments, I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Ah, Radio From Hell! I loved that show. Started off from KJQ (more or less) when I was in HS, and was a morning staple of mine when I was a mail carrier with an early route at BYU. They are still going strong then?
    They are at least going. Honestly, they are awful but they keep cranking away.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    They are at least going. Honestly, they are awful but they keep cranking away.
    If they're not liked by a Coog they're doing a good job

If they're not liked by a Coog they're doing a good job
    On that note, I always thought that it was Bill who was the counterculturalist, but now I think it was Kerry who really pushed and jabbed at the frayed edges of Utah's sanity. I mean, Bill was long haired and profane and all of that, and so you expected it from him, but Kerry was (if memory serves) an RM who ended up playing less of a straight man to Bill's clown (speaking culturally, and not literally) than the orthodox-Mormon community would have liked, what with the mixed drinks and all.

/digression

I listened to them too when I was 18. That they are banging the same drums when they are in their 40s/50s/60s?? that they were 20 years ago is tiring to think about, if not a little sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I listened to them too when I was 18. That they are banging the same drums when they are in their 40s/50s/60s?? that they were 20 years ago is tiring to think about, if not a little sad.
    I'd say they've changed quite a bit actually. And they obviously still have "it" as they consistently win the ratings battle.

Certainly better than KSL or the national syndication garbage.

It might be a good idea to put a summary of this on the top banner for our newer, fellow Utes and all visitors to this page. Give them a little history lesson.

Maybe:

"Utah by 5" - Chris Corey before every Ute football and basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by yohio View Post
    There are now "feats of physical stregth and prowess" requirements for admission to secret clubs. How much can you bench?

After reading this thread, I must apologize for calling the name little brotherish in the welcome thread. I assumed the name was a thinly veiled (off by two) shot at the Cougars. I hope I'm still welcome, even thought I'm a BYU/Wyoming fan. Also, I hope that people here will keep the 'living room rule' - never say something to someone on the board that you wouldn't say to their face if you were sitting together in a living room...that, and I'd like to buy the world a Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    After reading this thread, I must apologize for calling the name little brotherish in the welcome thread. I assumed the name was a thinly veiled (off by two) shot at the Cougars. I hope I'm still welcome, even thought I'm a BYU/Wyoming fan. Also, I hope that people here will keep the 'living room rule' - never say something to someone on the board that you wouldn't say to their face if you were sitting together in a living room...that, and I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
    That is precisely the intent of this forum. And Welcome, Cowboy!

I haven't listened to Gina B since Barry King was in town. "The King and Gina". Now THAT was quality radio.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I haven't listened to Gina B since Barry King was in town. "The King and Gina". Now THAT was quality radio.
    What nickname did Barry give you when you called in, "Father of Family X"?

I didn't know about the radio thing. I thought the name had something to do with the chant that the band does at basketball games. When the team is up by multiples of five, the band shouts: "Utah by five! Five wonderful points! Ha ha ha!" If Utah is up by say fifteen points, the band shouts "Utah by five, ten, fifteen! Fifteen wonderful points! Ha ha ha!" and so on. I don't know the origin of this chant or how long it's been used, but I know it happens. Eventually, I'm guessing the student section will probably join in, but as of right now it seems like most of them are pretty new to Utah basketball.

Now that I know the history I think it is a great name. I knew next to nothing about the U until I moved to Utah in 1994 (my first stint).

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    I didn't know about the radio thing. I thought the name had something to do with the chant that the band does at basketball games. When the team is up by multiples of five, the band shouts: "Utah by five! Five wonderful points! Ha ha ha!" If Utah is up by say fifteen points, the band shouts "Utah by five, ten, fifteen! Fifteen wonderful points! Ha ha ha!" and so on. I don't know the origin of this chant or how long it's been used, but I know it happens. Eventually, I'm guessing the student section will probably join in, but as of right now it seems like most of them are pretty new to Utah basketball.
    They have been doing it for years. I think it is a riff on The Count from Sesame Street.

The linked video is not of an example, but for a funny video with The Count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM&sns=em

Actually they just celebrated 21 years on the radio. That show is older than most MUSS members

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Actually they just celebrated 21 years on the radio. That show is older than most MUSS members
    It was originally just Kerry and Bill. Gina joined about 15 years ago as a producer

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    They started as the 'Fun Pigs' in '86 on KJQ. They have now been on KXRK for 21 years.