Thread: The frequent flyer thread

The frequent flyer thread

I thought it would be fun to have a thread for anyone who flies a lot -- or a little. Stories, ideas, experiences ought to be interesting to share.

To start with:

The revolutionary new design for airline seats that could make economy just as luxurious as first class

I'll believe it when I see it, but we can always dream, can't we?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It looks cool, but I really don't know why he put any kind of screen/entertainment in it. Some airlines are realizing that stuff like that is too heavy and expensive. QANTAS in Austrailia simply did away with the seatback entertainment and gives everyone an ipad for in flight entertainment. Its a lot lighter (fuel savings) and cheaper (those seatback things have to be a ton to fix/replace/buy)

I think in the future, they will expect everyone to bring their own tablet or whatever and just have an open network to access all the features - pretty much like it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I thought it would be fun to have a thread for anyone who flies a lot -- or a little. Stories, ideas, experiences ought to be interesting to share.

To start with:

The revolutionary new design for airline seats that could make economy just as luxurious as first class

I think it's kind hilarious that LA Ute just implied that he flies economy. That's the funniest thing I've read on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think it's kind hilarious that LA Ute just implied that he flies economy. That's the funniest thing I've read on this board.
    Et tu, Scratche?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

To start with:

The seats in the first picture in the link reminds me of Soaring over California in California Adventure Theme Park.

On my flight home, a full flight, someone asked if I wanted to switch seats. I told him I'd swap for an isle, but not a middle. So he said: "we'll see." (Which, that's an odd response). As it turns out, he was in the middle seat next to me and wanted me to slide over so that he could have the isle. He was a bigger fellow, but so am I. So, he crams into his middle seat, and the people he is traveling with (I think it was a Zinja convention, that MLM) say very aggressively: "That's ok...we'll just talk over HIM the whole flight." Funny thing is, they were all asleep within about 10 min of take off. On this same flight, I had a rather large individual in front of me, who was pretty much in my lap the whole time because of reclining the seat and the momentum of his weight. Halfway through the flight I turn to the guy next to me and said "aren't you glad you didn't switch?" He chuckled.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I just hit 2 million lifetime miles on American.

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    I took a flight on Friday, and Delta made an announcement that starting that day you can leave your "small electronics" on from gate to gate. No more having to shut off your e-reader or your cell phone. They said, "We hope you will enjoy using your devices from gate to gate as much as we will like not having to nag you to shut them off." They ask that the cellular service be shut off so it is in airplane mode. I haven't ever seen reports that indicate that leaving the phone in cellular mode actually causes any problems flying a plane, and have accidentally left my work phone on in my purse during flights with no noticeable navigation problems in the cockpit. Does anyone know if a phone left in cellular mode is an actual threat, or just a perceived threat?
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Girl View Post
    I took a flight on Friday, and Delta made an announcement that starting that day you can leave your "small electronics" on from gate to gate. No more having to shut off your e-reader or your cell phone. They said, "We hope you will enjoy using your devices from gate to gate as much as we will like not having to nag you to shut them off." They ask that the cellular service be shut off so it is in airplane mode. I haven't ever seen reports that indicate that leaving the phone in cellular mode actually causes any problems flying a plane, and have accidentally left my work phone on in my purse during flights with no noticeable navigation problems in the cockpit. Does anyone know if a phone left in cellular mode is an actual threat, or just a perceived threat?
    It depends on the plane and conditions but there have been documented cases of interference from on board electronics that transmit a signal.

Newer planes have far more shielding to stop this threat

There's never been a documented crash because of the interference. The concern, and the reason it was always take off and landing, is because the interference hits VFR radios and causes extra work for pilots. Takeoff and landing are times they're already busy.

The other issue is phones can cause issues with ground cellular networks when at such altitudes. The FCC actually bans the use of transmitting devices in flight as well, because of the network concerns.

What I've read (FWIW) is that cell phones can cause issues during takeoff and landing. Beyond that, the biggest issue seems to be draining your battery while your phone hunts for a cell network on a flight.

I'm really happy about this because I like to catch up on reading email and drafting responses (even if I don't send them). Losing 20-30 minutes each way on both takeoff and landing (total of almost an hour) is a pain. I don't read much of anything anymore that is in hard copy format.

--Yeats

I never turn my phone off. It is complete bullshit. I keep my phone on in protest.

I was on a Delta flight Wednesday night before the change. In guy siting in the aisle seat on the row in front of me didn't want to stop texting, even after they announced to turn everything off. As the flight attendant came through for the final check before taking off, she stood by his seat and loudly announced that takeoff was being delayed due to the guy in 13 C who thought his texting was more important. She did it in a playful way, but it was effective, the guy was embarrassed into shutting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I never turn my phone off. It is complete bullshit. I keep my phone on in protest.
    Same with me.
    If they were really a potential for problems they would not allow them on planes.

FAA Says Electronic Devices Now Allowed In-Flight. So Why The Heck Were We Turning Them Off All This Time?

Interesting piece.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbe..._medium=social

--Yeats

In 2003, I sat next to a guy who said he was a senior engineer at Boeing and that the ban on electronics on planes is nonsense. I've only done this a few times but NetJets flight attendants never tell you to turn off your electronics.

Last week on my return flight from philadelphia, the beverage service suddenly stopped. All the attendants went to the front of the plane, they had a pow-wow for a 5-10 minutes, and then, one of the attendants starts walking down the aisle in full haz-mat suit. Gloves, eye guard, mask, booties, lab smock, lots of towels and a bag.

20 minutes later she comes walking back to the front of the plane, with a bag full "something"
    I'm sooooo glad I was not near ground zero.

I wonder how they decide who gets the barf duty? Is someone assigned their turn each flight? Do they pull sticks?

first time I've seen that.

So would there be anything stopping you from buying like 100 refundable tickets a month out and then returning all of them except yours an hour before the flight to make sure you had lots of leg room and space to stretch out on your flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    So would there be anything stopping you from buying like 100 refundable tickets a month out and then returning all of them except yours an hour before the flight to make sure you had lots of leg room and space to stretch out on your flight?
    hmm, never thought of that.
    there might be something to stop you the second time you tried this.

Banned
    I saw Coach Whittingham at the airport yesterday, I went up to shake his hand. I introduced myself and he asked me if I was a fan, when I stated that I was he immediately apologized to me for the season.

Damn... I got the idea that he does that a lot. I wasn't going to say anything negative to him anyway... but that made me regret what I was even thinking. He realizes that fans feel let down... and he takes that personally.

Damn... that's gotta be difficult. I hope he succeeds big next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I saw Coach Whittingham at the airport yesterday, I went up to shake his hand. I introduced myself and he asked me if I was a fan, when I stated that I was he immediately apologized to me for the season.

Damn... I got the idea that he does that a lot. I wasn't going to say anything negative to him anyway... but that made me regret what I was even thinking. He realizes that fans feel let down... and he takes that personally.

Good PR by him. Impressive.

Having been around Kyle a bit when I worked at RES and the practice facility, he takes his job very seriously and is very passionate about it

He isn't demonstrative like Fred was, but he has that same fire inside of him

Back in the mid-1980s when I flew from Montana to SLC, the noon-time flights would sometimes fly at 15,000 feet through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. The view was spectacular, something that it isn't at 30,000+ feet.

I love Whit. I guarantee that Bronco would never do that. I wish we had Kyle...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I love Whit. I guarantee that Bronco would never do that. I wish we had Kyle...
    If we have another season next year, like the last couple... he may be available.

I'm not a frequent flyer, although I have done more these past few months than normal.

In the SLC airport this morning, our flight to SFO we delayed so we grabbed some breakfast at Market Street. It may be one if the nicest airport restaurants I have seen, and the eggs benedict were excellent.

While there, a guy at a nearby table took a call on his cell phone, and proceeded to wander around the restaurant oblivious to everything around him. At one point he stood across from me and I noticed he was doing something funny with his hands. He continued to do this as he walked around.

IMG_4659.jpg
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm not a frequent flyer, although I have done more these past few months than normal.

In the SLC airport this morning, our flight to SFO we delayed so we grabbed some breakfast at Market Street. It may be one if the nicest airport restaurants I have seen, and the eggs benedict were excellent.

While there, a guy at a nearby table took a call on his cell phone, and proceeded to wander around the restaurant oblivious to everything around him. At one point he stood across from me and I noticed he was doing something funny with his hands. He continued to do this as he walked around.
    You should have reported it to the police... Just for fun. Imagine him trying to explain.