Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Utes in the NFL

Sam Tevi to the Los Angeles Chargers of Anaheim. That's 7.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pita T. goes to San Francisco at 202....that's 8.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Dimick to Jacksonville as a UFA.

Tim Patrick to Baltimore

Chase Dominguez to New Orleans

Pasoni Tasini to AZ

Andy Phillips to Chicago

Reggie Porter to Indy

Jason Thompson to NE

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 04-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Utes in the NFL

Great SI story on the 49ers draft process. Here's a bit about Joe Williams:
    Indeed. So now, with the evening over, there was a solitary figure staring at the draft board. It was a little like the stare of John Nash in A Beautiful Mind. Shanahan was trying to figure out, with both high fourth-round picks now traded, what he could do to get the one player he wanted above all others, now that the Niners would not be scheduled to choose until the 36th pick of round four on Saturday morning.

“Joe Williams,” said Shanahan, in his laconic, unemotional voice. “Running back, Utah.”
    I looked at San Francisco’s running back stack. I looked a second time.

No Joe Williams. He was off the 49ers’ draft board. Yet, for the head coach, if there was one must-get player on the last day of the draft, it was the troubled Williams.
    “He had some issues in college,” Shanahan said. “Quit on his team.”
    Now Saturday was going to be interesting, if only to find out the fate of Williams.

Shanahan: “I’m telling you right now: If we don’t get him, I’ll be sick. I will be contemplating Joe Williams all night.”

Photo: Peter King/The MMQB

Can you ever say, unless you’re a scout or a GM or a coach or Mayock or Kiper, that the third day of the draft is really interesting?
    “I had a really hard time sleeping the night before,” said Lynch, “and let me tell you, I was exhausted.”
    Why?
    “Joe Williams.”
    Lynch made a point of telling everyone at the draft, and the scouts and coaches, of his vision statement for the organization. Not only would players have to fit athletically and in the scheme, but they’d need six more traits, spelled out on the laminated sheet around the facility on draft weekend:
    • Football passion—do they love it?
    • Contagious competitiveness
    • Dependability—“protect the team”
    • Mental toughness
    • Football IQ
    • Accountability to other players and themselves

“Joe Williams was a tough one for me,” Lynch said. “He was off my board. So when I got in the building Saturday morning, I had to call him.”

Photo: Chris Coduto/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
    Joe Williams wasn’t on the 49ers draft board before the team traded up to select the Utah running back.

The Williams thumbnail: Kicked off UConn’s team in 2013 for stealing a teammate’s credit card and using it … enrolled in a tiny Brooklyn college trying to get his football career back … enrolled at Utah in 2015 … Quit Utah’s team in September 2016, telling head coach Kyle Whittingham he couldn’t deal with the mental pressure he was going through … Returned to the team at the coaches’ request a month later when three backs got injured … After a month away from any physical activity, he ran for 179 yards against Oregon State, and then, in his second game, he set the Rose Bowl stadium record for a college running back, rushing for 332 yards and four touchdowns in a Utah win over UCLA.“It was dead,” Lynch said. “No chance. I wasn’t interested. But I knew how Kyle [Shanahan] felt, so I figured I should at least talk to [Williams]. When I got in, I called him. When I got him on the phone, I said to him, ‘Joe, to be honest, I was done with you.’”
    And they talked. Lynch was stunned by Williams’ forthright admissions. Lynch found out what he believed to be the root of the problems: In 2007, when Williams was 13, his sister died of a heart ailment, and Joe Williams felt the burden was with him, because on the night she died, he was with her and fell asleep when she fell gravely ill. He was destroyed, distraught, and ignored his pain, and as he discovered later, the bottling up of his pain caused extreme distress. He was diagnosed with manic depression. He told Whittingham he would do himself more harm than good by staying on the team, and Whittingham understood. The team understood. After a long time on the phone, Lynch had a radical change of mind.
    “Screw it,” he said to himself Saturday morning. “I’m going to try to jump up and get this guy.”
    Early in the fourth round, Lynch, responding to the agita of his head coach, traded up 22 spots to pick a player not on his draft board.
    In a remarkable interview after the pick, Williams was emotional nearly to the point of tears. “I really wanted to play in the NFL someday,” Williams said, “but I understood the dream was over. I had to get my life in order. My mental health was far more important. I was going to do more damage by playing than walking away. I saw a psychiatrist who helped me get my life, not my football, on track. I didn’t do anything in that month away—no conditioning, no weights, nothing. Then they called me to come back, and I felt like I was ready.”
    But how does one walk back onto the field, after doing nothing for a month, and, in successive games, gain 179, 332, 172, 181, 149, 97 and 222 yards in his last seven games?
    “Sheer willpower,” Williams said. “I was running the ball for my sister, I was catching the ball for my sister.”

The laminated 49er ethos sheet didn’t account for Joe Williams. Lynch won’t know for years, most likely, if he made the right call on Williams or any of these players.
    “What do you think Bill Walsh would say about your draft?” I wondered.
    “I think he’d be incredibly proud,” Lynch said. “But the one thing I’ve learned through this process is there’s no perfect player.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/s...ter-peter-king
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-01-2017 at 07:49 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I didn't know that story about his sister. That's a tough read. Poor Joe.
    No kid deserves that kind of heartache and burden and guilt.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Bolles signed a couple days ago

Of note, he got a 4 year $11M deal.....it's entirely guaranteed money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard on the radio that Domo was invited to a tryout with the Rams and was offered a FA contract after the tryout.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Heard on the radio that Domo was invited to a tryout with the Rams and was offered a FA contract after the tryout.
    Good for him.

Still, I have to think he would have an easier road to the League if he at least played in the bowl game.

Bolles to start.

Joe Williams to IR with an ankle injury.

Drew Anderson cut.

Kaelin Clay and Jared Norris make 53 man roster.

Pita T. makes 53 man roster for the Niners.

Tony Bergstrom traded to Baltimore

Travis Wilson cut

Doom Hatfield makes 53 man roster.

Brice McCain makes 53 man roster

Tim Patrick cut.

Alex Smith is dealing tonight. 313 and 4 TDs

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Alex Smith is dealing tonight. 313 and 4 TDs
    Just gotta get that win!

Colleges most represented by NFL opening day rosters:

https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/footba...ng-day-rosters

Utah comes in at #16 with 31 players. Tied with Notre Dame. behind Wisconsin/Cal, and ahead of Penn St.

NFLRosters2017.png

In a side note, Cal underachieves so much relative to the # of players they always have in the NFL.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Bolles carted off the field during today's game against Dallas. He seemed pretty shaken-up emotionally; hope it isn't too bad an injury
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Bolles carted off the field during today's game against Dallas. He seemed pretty shaken-up emotionally; hope it isn't too bad an injury
    So sad, both for him and for the Broncos.

Bolles wife tweeted it looks like a high ankle sprain/possible foot injury. X-ray inconclusive, MRI tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Bolles wife tweeted it looks like a high ankle sprain/possible foot injury. X-ray inconclusive, MRI tomorrow

Bone bruise. Bolles is week-to-week per Denvers head coach.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Bone bruise. Bolles is week-to-week per Denvers head coach.
    That's great news. What a relief.

Amazing interception by Marcus Williams. Well, for Marcus, it is a bit more routine than most

https://youtu.be/NFK8y-fjtSs

This is pretty impressive:

Nearly 40% of all NFL players come from 18 schools

Guess who is one of the 4 PAC-12 school on the list? That has got to be nice thing for recruiting.

--Yeats

Last night, SoCalPat tweeted that if Alex wins MVP, he will be the 7th former #1 pick to win.

So a trivia question: can you name the six w/o google?

(I got intrigued and looked it up.)

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Last night, SoCalPat tweeted that if Alex wins MVP, he will be the 7th former #1 pick to win.

So a trivia question: can you name the six w/o google?

(I got intrigued and looked it up.)
    My UnGoogled Guesses:

1) Peyton Manning
    2) John Elway
    3) Roger Staubach
    4) Joe Namath
    5) Bart Star
    6) Jim Plunkett

My UnGoogled Guesses:

1) Peyton Manning
    2) John Elway
    3) Roger Staubach
    4) Joe Namath
    5) Bart Star
    6) Jim Plunkett
    If I read Wikepedia correctly, Peyton and Elway are correct. The others are OJ, Bradshaw, Earl Campbell, and Cam.

Is that right, SoCalPat?

Dang...I had wondered if OJ went 1st, but couldn't remember.

Dang...I had wondered if OJ went 1st, but couldn't remember.

These days, it is hard to imagine that an rb ever went no. 1 or was mvp. Earl Campbell?

Man...Alex Smith is having an unbelievable season. MVP numbers.