Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Books We Read/Listen To

Hybrid View

Finally finished "The Old Curiosity Shop," one of Dickens' later novels. A fun read, complete with a great villain.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

1421 - The year China discovered America. Decent read, thought provoking. Takes away our western European bias. Only downer is some of the assertions are just that, many others supported by hard facts, including a Chinese junk found in California. I will not ruin the rest and I'm only half way through.
    All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Starting Cloud Atlas now.

Teachings of Thomas S. Monson

The only Monson I read is Thomas S., he has always been one of my favorite general authorities.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World by Evan Thomas

Dwight David Eisenhower has often been viewed as a doddering lightweight of a president; in fact he was a surprisingly acute tactician, cold-blooded and brilliant at manipulating people in Washington, Moscow and Beijing. If people saw Ike as a lightweight it was because he wanted them to. The former army general had been so good at poker that he had to stop playing his fellow officers. He could be patient and ruthless and as the Cold War escalated with the H-bomb and ICBMs, he had to be. The conventional forces to defeat a Soviet offensive in Europe would have busted the budget, so Eisenhower threatened massive retaliation with a less expensive nuclear arsenal. But would he have actually given the order that could have lead to the destruction of the world? Nobody but Ike knew the answer to that question, and it is even possible that he did know it himself. But the key to avoiding World War III was that the Soviets believe he would give the order, so whatever his thoughts were on the question, he could not tell anyone about them. Thus, the loneliness of the being president greatly exceeded the loneliness of being Supreme Commander Allied Force Europe during World War II.

This is a fantastic book about a president who was and still is underestimated and underrated.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I'm also listening to Bill O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy as I take my daily walk. Killing Lincoln (which I also listened to) was great, but the Kennedy sequel is not nearly as good. Part of the problem is that Kennedy does not stand up very well next to Lincoln (who does?) -- or Eisenhower for that matter -- the other problem is that O'Reilly might give too much attention to JFK's sex life. There might be some aspects of Kennedy's affairs that are important, but I am sure that some details the author shares I just didn't need to know.

Finished The Liberator - excellent read! - I highly recommend this to anyone interested in WW II. Mr Kershaw tells the story of Felix Sparks who rose from a 2LT to a LTC and Bn Commander at 26 in the 157 INF. He made 4 amphibious invasions (Sicily, Salerno, Anzio and Southern France) twice loosing his command ( Once in Anzio as a Company commander - He was the sole non-casuality in his company and about 9 mths later in the Vosages Mtns of southern France, during the German assault - code named Operation Nordwind, as a Bn Co he lost his three line companies after they became surrounded). Sometimes his relationship with his superior officers was strained at best, but he was so good at his job, the didn't take his bn away from him.

As a personal note his bn was one of the bns that captured Nuremberg (where I lived as a teenager) and after that his bn did liberate the Dachau Concentration Camp near Munich. While living in Germany I visited Dachau twice. Unfortunately the first time, I was not impressed (rather boring - too young I guess, I was 13) the second time a couple of years later made a much greater/lasting impression on me. I really enjoyed reading those episodes.

Currently reading Robert Massie's biography of Catherine the Great

http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Grea...+robert+massie
    Last edited by happyone; 04-02-2013 at 02:22 AM.

The Third Reich: A New History by Michael Burleigh

The subtitle might be a little misleading. This is not a chronological recounting of the history of Nazi Germany, but rather an in depth examination of many different aspects of the Third Reich beginning with politics of the Weimar Republic and finishing with post-WWII Germany. The author seeks the "serious intellectual issues almost buried beneath the avalanche of morbid kitsch and populistic trivia which this subject generates." The result is an excellent, if heavy, book. This one is not for the casual reader, unless they casually pick up heavy tomes such as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Is Paris Burning? or The Pity of War -- actually, this book is much heavier than Rise and Fall seemed to be in retrospect.

Just finished "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell, USN SEAL (Ret)

If you want to read about heroes read this book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

History of United States Naval Operations In World War II, Vol. VI: Breaking the Bismarcks Barrier, 22 July 1942-1 May 1944 by Samuel Eliot Morison.

An excellent book about operations in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands which resulted in the isolation of Rabaul and the breaking, or bypassing of, the Bismarcks Barrier.

Finally got some time to A Dance With Dragons (book 5 of the Game Of Thrones series).

I must say, it is a bit confusing with how books 4 and 5 are parallel timelines. I understand why he did it, but it can be confusing at times. :/

Question for those on this thread regarding time for reading.

I love to read, but part of my problem is that when I get wrapped into a book, it's hard for me to put it down. Many times in school I stayed up way to late finishing the book instead of stopping at our reading assignment.

So, besides audiobooks, what are some suggestions for making time to read and only having a certain amount of time to read?

Quote Originally Posted by cald22well View Post
    Question for those on this thread regarding time for reading.

I love to read, but part of my problem is that when I get wrapped into a book, it's hard for me to put it down. Many times in school I stayed up way to late finishing the book instead of stopping at our reading assignment.

So, besides audiobooks, what are some suggestions for making time to read and only having a certain amount of time to read?
    I'm in the same boat. For me it is my Kindle. Portable and lightweight. I read in all sorts of random places at home: while laying down with a kid trying to put them to sleep, outside next to the BBQ, at kid's soccer practice, etc. Plus any books I buy are also transferred to my iPhone so I can get a bit of reading in if the opportunity presents itself when I am not home (lunch, work, family functions, etc).

I hate it myself, but basically, you just have to commit yourself to reading in fits and starts.

Hubener vs Hitler: A Biography of Helmuth Hubener, Mormon Teenage Resistance Leader by Richard Lloyd Dewey

A very good book about an amazing story. Huebener led a resistance movement that distributed handbills exposing the lies of the Nazi propaganda machine. He was so successful that the Gestapo assumed adults were behind the movement, or possibly even the British. Out of a fairly large movement, only three, including Huebener, were caught. Huebener would be the youngest resistance leader to be executed by the Nazi regime, and he has been so recognized in post-war Germany.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Simply Magnificent. This is the story of Ernest Shackleton's second Antarctic expedition which led to the loss of the ship Endurance and a desperate trek across ice and sea to safety.
    This is one of my favorites. After seeing your post a few weeks ago I went looking for my copy. After a few moves I'm not sure where it is. One book I don't mind buying again.

Just started "Crime and Punishment" and am looking forward to it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just started "Crime and Punishment" and am looking forward to it.
    You've never read it?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    You've never read it?

Nope. In my misspent youth I would have read it only for a class, and I didn't take one that required it. I'm loving it already. I also plan to read "The Idiot." "The Brothers Karamazov" is one of my favorite books.

--Yeats

Currently reading "The Orphan Master's Son". Won the Pulitzer for fiction. Absolutely wonderful book/story m about North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Currently reading "The Orphan Master's Son". Won the Pulitzer for fiction. Absolutely wonderful book/story m about North Korea.
    I just read that last summer. A chilling book, I couldn't put it down.

--Yeats

Of all the places to set a book, North Korea is severely underutilized. This book made that a fascinating place to me.

The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey by Richard Whittle

Whittle cuts through the hype and the hysteria to present an engaging story on the tiltrotor aircraft. Since the early days of flight there were those who wanted to find the hybrid aircraft the could master the air and the convertiplane tiltrotor became the dream machine. For the U.S. Marine Corps, the titrotor was the answer to maintaining their relevance and status as a seperate service. The author takes the reader through processes of design, engineering and military procurement without getting too technical, making these arcane subjects accessable to the layman. Excellent.

Finished. It took me several weeks to find time to read and get into it. Absolutely terrific and I would recommend it highly.

I thought the chapters narrated like propaganda were corny and the only weakness of the book. That's a very minor weakness.

I just picked up "a visit from the goon squad". http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0307477479

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vis...the_Goon_Squad

Has anyone else read this book? I am a little ways in and have to tell you that I think it's remarkable. I am curious to find out what other people's experience has been with this book.

I also picked up a copy of world war Z. I have been reading that on and off for the last month or so and I'm almost finished with it. The book is way better than the movie. I've read it in little bits and chunks here and there, and the make up of the book was various stories makes that possible.

I finished Nick Offerman's "Paddle your own canoe". Most of us would know him as ron swanson on community.

It was a fun irreverant book that has a nice message. If you can handle the language I would recommend

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Meanwhile, as I read a chapter or two of C&P each day, I've learned to whistle a happy tune for 5 minutes just after I finish so that I don't walk around with a black cloud hovering over my head.

--Yeats

Meanwhile, as I read a chapter or two of C&P each day, I've learned to whistle a happy tune for 5 minutes just after I finish so that I don't walk around with a black cloud hovering over my head.
    Walter white awaits

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Walter white awaits
    Har-har. Vince Gilligan as Fyodor's successor.

--Yeats

The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

A masterful history of the planning, outbreak and fighting during the first month of World War I.

Amazon lists 100 books that you should read in your lifetime.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8192263011
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."