Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NHL 2013 thread, or, the thread where only 3 posters participate

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

oh my god Blackhawks domination 4-1 in the first. I love this team so much.

Hawks outshooting the Wild 17-6 at the end of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Hawks outshooting the Wild 17-6 at the end of the first.
    Hawks are dominating tonight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

--fjm.com

Blackhawks win...AGAIN!

We should just rename this thread "The Blackhawks CircleJerk Thread"...

In all seriousness, it is quite the feat they have accomplished this year. Are you guys worried about not having any gas left in the tank come playoff time? (i'm thinking specifically of the San Jose Sharks of the last decade...)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybeard View Post

In all seriousness, it is quite the feat they have accomplished this year. Are you guys worried about not having any gas left in the tank come playoff time? (i'm thinking specifically of the San Jose Sharks of the last decade...)
    I am very worried that the Blackhawks are peaking too early.
    --fjm.com

I am always worried. I am most worried that Crawford and Emery won't be able to maintain their stellar play. However, I would be more worried if goal scoring was not coming from all 4 lines and if they were not finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. I don't think they will "hit a wall" offensively, but it isn't going to be easy to win the cup. It never is.
    Last edited by Flystripper; 03-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Hawks win in the final minute! So fun!

Nice goal by Toews to tie it up in the third and Carcillo right place right time with less than a minute in regulation. This team is so fun to watch.

Banned

Yep. But... damn, what they are doing right now is amazing.

Still, like Flystripper said, it is never easy to win the cup.

Even though the Blackhawks appear unbeatable today... If I had to bet between them and the field to win the cup... I'd take the field.

I am always worried. I am most worried that Crawford and Emery won't be able to maintain their stellar play. However, I would be more worried if goal scoring was not coming from all 4 lines and if they were not finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. I don't think they will "hit a wall" offensively, but it isn't going to be easy to win the cup. It never is.

Blackhawks at the halfway point and have a point in every game. Blackhawks have earned 45 of the possible 48 points in the first 24 games. This has been unreal.

Great point about the Blackhawks finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. This team is very versatile and that is going to go a long way in helping them win the cup. No guarantees of course, but they are the favorites.
    --fjm.com

Speaking of teams other than the Blackhawks winning the cup, Burnside is sticking with this Blues prediction from the start of the season. (This should make you happy Redbird)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/90...in-stanley-cup

I agree with his number 2, 4 and 5 takes, the but I am not seeing his number 1 take at all. To be honest I don't think the Blackhawks care much about this streak. Don't get me wrong, I think they are having fun with it, but I don't see them pressing even a little bit when I watch them on the ice. They just play. If you have seen Toews' post-game interviews over the last games you can tell he is well aware that this streak absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things other than it is a fun ride. Having been through a winning cup run as well as a couple of first round bounces, he knows the cup is not awarded in the regular season. The young captain is a great leader beyond his years and the team really takes cues from him.

I think his number 3 take is grasping at straws. Without Elliott getting his confidence back (which is totally possible) I don't see Allen (a rookie netminder) putting the team on his back on the way to a Stanley Cup.

The bottom line is that the Blues remain a strong Cup contender but Burnside is overselling it a bit right now.

Banned
    What the Blackhawks are doing is more impressive (and more difficult) than the streak the Miami Heat have put together in basketball.

There are not too many out there that think the Heat will lose the NBA championship (barring any major injury).

Hockey is a different animal.

Speaking of teams other than the Blackhawks winning the cup, Burnside is sticking with this Blues prediction from the start of the season. (This should make you happy Redbird)

I agree with his number 2, 4 and 5 takes, the but I am not seeing his number 1 take at all. To be honest I don't think the Blackhawks care much about this streak. Don't get me wrong, I think they are having fun with it, but I don't see them pressing even a little bit when I watch them on the ice. They just play. If you have seen Toews' post-game interviews over the last games you can tell he is well aware that this streak absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things other than it is a fun ride. Having been through a winning cup run as well as a couple of first round bounces, he knows the cup is not awarded in the regular season. The young captain is a great leader beyond his years and the team really takes cues from him.

I think his number 3 take is grasping at straws. Without Elliott getting his confidence back (which is totally possible) I don't see Allen (a rookie netminder) putting the team on his back on the way to a Stanley Cup.

The bottom line is that the Blues remain a strong Cup contender but Burnside is overselling it a bit right now.
    Lots of grasping in that to justify the Blues over the Blackhawks right now. The Blues are still a legit cup contender and I don't want them in the 1st round. However, to use the streak against the Blackhawks is absurd. The core of this team has won a Stanley Cup and is well aware that regular season doesn't mean shit if you don't convert in the playoffs.

I'm with devildog, if I had to choose the field of the Blackhawks, I take the field. However, if I was given the choice of the Blackhawks or any other individual team, I'm taking the Blackhawks.

This team is good and this team has a ton of depth.
    --fjm.com

NHLPA has approved the realignment plan. I really don't like the division, the playoff format, or really anything of this change. The Blackhawks - Red Wing rivalry is one of the best in professional sports and the best in hockey and they basically just killed it off.

I'm really kind of pissed the NHL gave in to the Red Wing's bitching about not being in the Eastern Conference.

Blackhawks are also getting screwed over as they are no longer in a division with any original six team.
    --fjm.com

I'm pretty excited to see Detroit back with Toronto and Montreal, but I agree that realignment will impact Detroit/Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    What the Blackhawks are doing is more impressive (and more difficult) than the streak the Miami Heat have put together in basketball.

There are not too many out there that think the Heat will lose the NBA championship (barring any major injury).

Hockey is a different animal.

Blackhawks currently have 24 games straight earning at least one point. In the 24 games the Blackhawks have 18 regulation/overtime wins, 3 shootout wins, and 3 shootout losses. No regulation or overtime losses. In 24 games the Blackhawks have earned 45 out of 48 points.

Miami Heat on a 16 game winning streak. There really isn't much that needs to be added as there are no ties to be factored into the equation.

I'm going with the Blackhawks streak. I certainly recognize my biases: I prefer the NHL; I'm a Blackhawk's fan; and, I hate the Heat. However, here are my reasoning.

Hockey is a sport that requires more depth and contributions from more players to win. In hockey, you cannot rely on one amazing player to carry you like the Heat are doing with Bron Bron right now. No one player can dominate a hockey game the way an NBA player can dominate a game.

Blackhawks have suffered some pretty major injuries in this streak. The starting goaltender has missed multiple games and we have been without a lot of key contributors including games without Hossa, Seabrook, and Sharp.

Blackhawks streak is currently longer than the Heat's streak by 8 games.

Blackhawks as a team have been more impressive. Bron Bron as an individual player has certainly been more impressive than anyone on the Blackhawks.
    --fjm.com

Banned
    Funk, I brought that up exactly because of the kinds of reasons you mentioned. My point was that most people see what the Heat are doing, the success they've had, and they naturally assume the Heat will repeat.

Basketball is more popular than hockey with the masses and many are familiar with the Heat's winning streak.

In hockey there are so many more players, and some teams like the Blackhawks have so much talent depth on the lines. It's a sprint sport where lines go as hard as they can for 90 seconds and then the next line jumps out.

Standout players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby (don't know if I should even be putting him in league with those guys yet), still can't make the kind of individual difference that a Jordan or James can in basketball.

Hockey relies on teamwork for success, and team chemistry and coordination are vital like they are in football,

If the Blackhawks continue to work together and produce results all over the ice, they will be a strong favorite going into the playoffs. It won't surprise me to see another team like the Kings (did last year) get their chemistry together late... and give them a run for the cup.

Love this sport... It will be interesting to watch the season play out.

I grew up in Colorado... and it won't hurt my feelings if the Avalanche miraculously beat a team they shouldn't tonight.
    Last edited by Devildog; 03-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Not looking good right now.

--fjm.com

The Blues aren't playing well enough in front of the netminder, regardless of who it is. Allen might be the hottest of the bunch. Elliott has looked miserable this year.

It will be a fight to get into the postseason for us. I wouldn't count us among the contenders at this point.

Columbus is on a 5-game winning streak. They went 4-0-1 against Detroit this season. They're still not in the playoff conversation, but they won't be an easy out.

Also, the Oilers are up 4-0 on the Hawks in Chicago. They'd need to go 2-17-2 over the remainder of the season to miss the playoffs, so there shouldn't be any worry.

Really tough couple of games for the Blackhawks. This team is about to get a nice couple of days off. 7 games in 11 nights really hurt the team over the end of that stretch.
    --fjm.com

Every team is dealing with a brutal compressed schedule which is one of the reasons why the streak was freakishly amazing. It is nearly impossible to maintain a winning streak in a normal season let alone one such as this.

just to get this thread back on track...Patrick Kane is good

Great way to get it back on track. He was channeling Dennis Savard on that one.

--fjm.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Great way to get it back on track.
    Are you guys trying to get the thread or the Blackhawks back on track.

Sadly, I don't have anything else to contribute... All the teams I like... Stink this year.

Except LA (who could be better)... Go Kings!

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Are you guys trying to get the thread or the Blackhawks back on track.

Sadly, I don't have anything else to contribute... All the teams I like... Stink this year.

Except LA (who could be better)... Go Kings!
    Already back on track. Three wins in a row!! In all seriousness though tomorrow night at Anaheim will be a great test.

Banned
    Already back on track. Three wins in a row!! In all seriousness though tomorrow night at Anaheim will be a great test.
    Honestly, I'm not the slightest bit surprised to see the Blackhawks winning again, and often. This looks like it's their year.