Thread: The "How Do I Do Stuff Here?" Thread

The "How Do I Do Stuff Here?" Thread

I'll start: How can I embed a GIF in a post here? Thanks.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Across the top of the quick reply window are the little pictures. Click the one that is 3rd from the right - the one that looks like a little tree. Click on the "from url" tab (if you got the gif from a website) and post the web address in the little window. Then uncheck the "retrieve remote file" box. Click on "ok" and there's your gif!

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Hey Garth do you own a cell phone yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Across the top of the quick reply window are the little pictures. Click the one that is 3rd from the right - the one that looks like a little tree. Click on the "from url" tab (if you got the gif from a website) and post the web address in the little window. Then uncheck the "retrieve remote file" box. Click on "ok" and there's your gif!

Thanks!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Hey Garth do you own a cell phone yet?
    That's a good one, Sully!
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Ha! You are a man of your word.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Thanks!

Suddenly, when I try to upload a photo from my iPhone, I'm given the option of uploading from Dropbox or Library. I don't use Dropbox, so when I choose Library I am prompted to set an ID. When I submit one, nothing happens. I'm just stuck. Any ideas?

--Yeats

Not really a how to, but I just got notice that tapatalk 4 is available for 99 cents this week. Anybody tried it out yet and if so what do your think?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Not really a how to, but I just got notice that tapatalk 4 is available for 99 cents this week. Anybody tried it out yet and if so what do your think?
    I an using it right now, and I like it so far. For a buck, I figure if it sucks, i can just go back to the last version
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I'm really grumpy today. How do I get banned?

Whatever I need to do to get banned, consider it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fail. You've got to do much better than this to get banned, IMO. Then again, if Jarid is grumpy too you might have a shot.

--Yeats

When I am looking at the forum home page, I see under "The Town Crier" a thread titled: "low post count" with Solon as the last participant posting on 5/20/14. When I tried to click it I got the message: " Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator "

I am guessing that this is a private admin thread somehow showing up. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    When I am looking at the forum home page, I see under "The Town Crier" a thread titled: "low post count" with Solon as the last participant posting on 5/20/14. When I tried to click it I got the message: " Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator "

I am guessing that this is a private admin thread somehow showing up. Just FYI.
    Now that I've bumped this thread, it is gone. You're welcome.

Is there a way to ember tweets that I'm not aware of?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Is there a way to ember tweets that I'm not aware of?
    There is not. I have done a lot of investigating on this and Twitter doesn't make it easy to do. My guess it is for security reasons but they want you to use their widgets to do everything, and that doesn't it in well with web pages that are dynamic (like a forum).

Twitter supports the ability to create a list of accounts to follow and then to embed a frame that has all of the tweets from that list. I'm thinking of doing that on one of the front facing pages of the board (forum list page maybe?). A work in progress.

Whose fat fingers locked up a bunch of threads just now?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Whose fat fingers locked up a bunch of threads just now?

I only found one and opened it.

The byu thread is locked. That is probably a good thing. Just leave it. We finally have quit them.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The byu thread is locked. That is probably a good thing. Just leave it. We finally have quit them.
    It's open now. Do people want it locked? (I did not lock it.)

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's open now. Do people want it locked? (I did not lock it.)
    I don't think so. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell who locked it. I looked all over for an option and couldn't find one.