Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final weekend. Utah vs. Oregon

The final weekend. Utah vs. Oregon

Beautiful day for baseball. Here is to closing the season strong

uploadfromtaptalk1369440380005.jpg..
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Just found out that my oldest son is at the game JiC. Had I known that's where he was going, I would have tagged along.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Rough game. Watrous got roughed up, giving up 6 runs on 11 hits in 5 2/3. We committed 5 errors while he was in (he had 2 of them). We finally got a hit in the 8th. Score is 6-2, bottom of the 9th.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

It was a great day for baseball. Warm with a light breeze and lots of sunshine. I was surprised at how good the fish and chips at the ballpark were. There was a scout there to watch the Oregon pitcher. As soon as they pulled their pitcher, the scout got up and left. Why are scouts so old?

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Someone told me this morning this is important for Oregon, so I hope you die a fiery death Utes!

It seems it can't be that important as it isn't football or basketball though.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Someone told me this morning this is important for Oregon, so I hope you die a fiery death Utes!

Well that's like your opinion man.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    What the...?

You have quite the nerve to say that baseball - the only sport endorsed by the Almighty - is not important. I wouldn't want to be you at the judgment bar on that fateful day.

Been to both games so far, they are being out coached. Oregon is bunting the Utes to death which is sad.

If Utah would play the entire game like they do in the later innings the probably would have won more league games. I've noticed a trend this season, they don't actually show up until after the 7th inning stretch. Crimmy posted on Hoyo's what would it take to make Utah a power in baseball? Indoor field?

http://hoyosrevenge.com/2013/05/25/u...swear-im-back/
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Been to both games so far, they are being out coached. Oregon is bunting the Utes to death which is sad.

If Utah would play the entire game like they do in the later innings the probably would have won more league games. I've noticed a trend this season, they don't actually show up until after the 7th inning stretch. Crimmy posted on Hoyo's what would it take to make Utah a power in baseball? Indoor field?

http://hoyosrevenge.com/2013/05/25/u...swear-im-back/
    Our defense has been atrocious the last 2 games. At yesterday's game, we made 5 errors, resulting in 4 unearned runs. Friday night was 6(!) Errors resulting in 2 unearned runs. The pitchers combined for 5 of the errors and were responsible for at least 5 of the unearned ruins in the two games. I don't know how much of that can be laid on coaching, as they had the players in the right spots to make plays, but the players didn't execute.

I agree that Oregon used the bunt to its fullest potential, and their speed forced a few of those errors. Conversely, we have bunted poorly this series(something that we have done quite well this season), and that has cost us some runs.
    André Gide

Good finish to the season. 10-3 win, pounding out 16 hits. Tyler Relf finished his senior season with a 4-4 game, driving in 3 runs. He led the team with a .290 average and 51 hits. Banks with the win going 5 innings giving up 3 runs, 1 earned, 5 hits and 3 K's. The season was one of so close yet so far. I was hoping for a .500 finish, which was doable given some of the games that they were in late, or ahead late. Plenty of returning talent for next season. Many true freshman/RS freshman gained significant experience, which gives some real excitement for next season. Full season breakdown and outlook for the future will be coming in a few days.
    André Gide

So after a pretty lackluster preseason the Utes open conference play with a 2-1 series win at 18th ranked Oregon. I watched the first game and the pitching looked pretty good.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    So after a pretty lackluster preseason the Utes open conference play with a 2-1 series win at 18th ranked Oregon. I watched the first game and the pitching looked pretty good.
    The win today was 2-0 on a complete game shutout by the pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the Utes battled back from a 3-0 deficit, scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th and then held on for a 6-5 win against Cal. With that win they have taken the last 4 conference series going into the final weekend at home against UW. Utah has a 1 game lead over the second place Huskies and need to win this series to take the conference championship.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Not quite right. This win tonight guaranteed that even if we go 1-2 against UW we stiall are co-champs, which would be an absolutely incredible accomplishment considering where our baseball team has been. I really hope we can win outright and get to the tournament (we don't make it if we're co-champs), but even a co-championship would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not quite right. This win tonight guaranteed that even if we go 1-2 against UW we stiall are co-champs, which would be an absolutely incredible accomplishment considering where our baseball team has been. I really hope we can win outright and get to the tournament (we don't make it if we're co-champs), but even a co-championship would be incredible.
    Coach Whit agrees!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Between the mens and ladies dirtbags......I'm on cloud nine. This is really awesome. Between my son's games, I'll be glued to the TV this weekend.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

For those who may want to go to the baseball games this weekend, you van get a family of up to 6 in free:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...coupon-web.pdf
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 05-24-2016 at 07:45 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

If the baseball team is able to take 2 out of 3 this weekend and win the conference outright, will they be the first Ute team to win an outright conference championship? (Other than gymnastics, I guess).
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If the baseball team is able to take 2 out of 3 this weekend and win the conference outright, will they be the first Ute team to win an outright conference championship? (Other than gymnastics, I guess).
    Yes. In the event of a tie, they would be the first spilt conference championship as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    André Gide

Game on after a lightning delay.

It's crazy that we are in the driver's seat for the league championship, but are at 100+ in RPI.

IN THE RANKINGS: In the latest NCBWA Top 30, Oregon State leads the way at No. 24 while Arizona State is No. 28. In the NCAA RPI rankings as of May 25, Arizona sits at No. 26, Arizona State is 39th, Oregon State is 49th, Washington sits at No. 50 and California is 68th. The Pac-12 Conference has the No. 4 RPI among all the leagues. No Pac-12 teams are ranked in the USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll.

Utes win today 12-8, on a 7 run 7th inning (most with 2 outs). Some sloppy defensive play, but the offense came through to come from behind once again.

Guaranteed at least a tie for the PAC-12 championship, and will win it outright if they beat Washington tomorrow at noon.

Utes win today 12-8, on a 7 run 7th inning (most with 2 outs). Some sloppy defensive play, but the offense came through to come from behind once again.

Guaranteed at least a tie for the PAC-12 championship, and will win it outright if they beat Washington tomorrow at noon.
    Must win to get into the tourney as well.

What happens if UW wins and ASU wins its last 2 against USC? Who wins the tiebreaker then?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    What happens if UW wins and ASU wins its last 2 against USC? Who wins the tiebreaker then?
    UW wins any tie with Utah as a tie would mean UW won the series with Utah 2-1

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    UW wins any tie with Utah as a tie would mean UW won the series with Utah 2-1

ASU loses all tiebreakers, since they lost their series with both Utah and Washington. So I guess Washington would get the auto bid.

ASU loses all tiebreakers, since they lost their series with both Utah and Washington. So I guess Washington would get the auto bid.
    Yup.

Whoever wins the game tomorrow gets the autobid

Of course UW is likely going to the tourney regardless. Utah's only shot is that autobid

PAC-12 CHAMPS! 21-5 over Washington. No coming from behind, blew them away from the beginning today.

That was a fantastic game! Thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That was a fantastic game! Thoroughly enjoyable.
    What's the timeline now?