Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1593

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the football facility is world-class, just like the basketball facility is. (Apart from our smallish stadium, which you may be including in "facilities.")

I am with you and SU on this. I think anyone who is paying close attention to what has been happening, both recently and historically, feels the same way. I.e., we're in a wait and see mode, hoping that LK doesn't have to keep pulling rabbits out of hats (Delon, Jakob, Lorenzo) to keep the program moving upward.

I was referring mostly to the stadium, because it is very small compared to all the other South stadia, and most of the north.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    What about Jayce Johnson? Barefield? Collette? Not to mention Bonam.

We have some questions, but definitely are not lacking talent.
    I agree with your point N'West but I also think Seattle's point about JC talent is an important one. We've been fortunate on a couple of JC guys when our history hasn't been too strong. Think about Jakob as well. Our own coaches will tell you they didn't anticipate how good he'd be so quickly. They knew they were getting a player but I remember talking to Norm Parrish after the first official basketball practice two years ago. He said the coaches were amazed at how quickly Jakob was adapting to DI ball and predicted then that he'd be an immediate starter and short-timer at the U.

I hope we continue to hit with one or two guys a year. On the optimistic side I'd add Daniels to your list of Johnson, Collette and Barefield. I'm crossing my fingers that he becomes a good to great Pac-12 player. To expect that year one is probably too much. We will need Johnson, Collette and Barefield to play well to finish in the top four. Kuzma and Bonham won't be enough. Neither are the transformative player that Jakob was. That may be too high of praise but you get my point.

Recruiting to Utah will always be difficult due to outsider perceptions of the culture. We will find a few diamonds in the rough here and there but I don't know whether we will ever be able to keep pace with Arizona or Cal in recruiting.

I want jo jo Zamora to be great simply because of the great nickname jo jo gimme Zamora

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Not to mention the backcourt group of Jo Jo, Sedric, and Zo.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Recruiting to Utah will always be difficult due to outsider perceptions of the culture. We will find a few diamonds in the rough here and there but I don't know whether we will ever be able to keep pace with Arizona or Cal in recruiting.
    Ironically, Jack Gardner recruited Billy McGill, Jerry Chambers, and Merv Jackson et al. because there was no Jim Crow in Utah, and while Jim Crow lessened the recruiting competition for these players.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Ironically, Jack Gardner recruited Billy McGill, Jerry Chambers, and Merv Jackson et al. because there was no Jim Crow in Utah, and while Jim Crow lessened the recruiting competition for these players.
    I've said it once, I'll say it again: Utah hoops recruiting has ALWAYS been about finding success where others aren't looking. It's also dangerous to try and change that, because if you strike out, you ain't getting it back. Witness what Boylen did to the Aussie pipeline. Now granted, others were looking and it's not the hidden treasure it once was 10-15 years ago, but we had the ace of spades in Bogut. Not sure we can ever get that back.

I'm fully convinced that the Middle East and Arab kids will be our next area of influence, both in their native lands and in other Western European countries.

Yes, we're walking a thin line with this approach, but until the Ls start piling up, I don't worry too much about it.

Tim coleman has committed!

Isn't he a forward?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Update:

PG: Barefield, Coleman
    SG: Bonam, Zamora, Ogbe, Daniels, Van Dyke
    SF: Chapman, Bealer
    PF: Kuzma, Rawson
    C: Collette, Johnson, Mawien

This is the simplified version, since some of these guys can play multiple positions.
    Not looking very good for PVD I would guess

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Not looking very good for PVD I would guess
    PVD is one of the most strangely misunderstood players that we have in the program. Literally every time his name is brought up, he is dismissed and labeled as a likely transfer because he lacks "Pac-12 athleticism", as if his role is to be a 30 minute a night starter.

IF (And its a big if, admittedly) PVD can come in and find ways to slide to the open spots and punish people for poor rotations, then he is worth whatever you have to do to hide him on defense (for what its worth, his defense will never be lockdown, but even as a freshman, he showed a lot of awareness and effort on that end) for 12-15 minutes a night. Dont need him to create his own shot, dont need him to lock anyone down, just need him to provide spacing.

What does everyone think of this Tim Coleman commitment/signing?

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...rd-tim-coleman

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Not sure what to think at the moment. His numbers don't stand-out in any category. Not long, either. Proof is in the pudding. Wait-n-see.

His measureables don't do anything for me. IMO, we needed a 6'6 or 6'7 wing player more than a 6'1 guard. I seriously doubt that Bealer will be anything more than he was this past year and I do not see Ogbe getting healthy.

found some old video from his frosh year where they said he was shooting 45% from 3. He looked really good in that game clip. Somewhere else said he was 1 of top 12 JC prospects going into last year. he injured his shoulder last year, so maybe that effected his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    found some old video from his frosh year where they said he was shooting 45% from 3. He looked really good in that game clip. Somewhere else said he was 1 of top 12 JC prospects going into last year. he injured his shoulder last year, so maybe that effected his stats.
    He only played 12 games

I could not find his stats for year before.

anyone?

Maybe our recruiting staff could use this:

https://www.cheapoair.com/miles-away...san-francisco/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

On paper, Coleman doesn't look like a Pac 12 player. I hope the coaches can see something we can't on the Internet.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

At first blush, I like this signing. He played in a tougher league than Bonam and put up similar numbers. If we weren't already as deep as we are in the backcourt, it would rate higher. But as things stand, we were a middle of the pack team before this signing and we're gonna be one after it.

The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    At first blush, I like this signing. He played in a tougher league than Bonam and put up similar numbers. If we weren't already as deep as we are in the backcourt, it would rate higher. But as things stand, we were a middle of the pack team before this signing and we're gonna be one after it.
    I am just speculating, but Larry and his coaches are very thorough and careful about whom they recruit. We are not in the early years of the rebuild now, so he's not just grabbing players. Coleman is surely at least a PAC-12 caliber player. Still, I agree with you that there is no reason to believe he will be a game changer.

--Yeats

Ucf transfer adonys henriquez to visit next monday. 6'6 210 would have to sit out and then have 2 years left.

This staff doesn't seem to be that interested in grad transfers. I think Dubois was the last one we had. It seems like there are more and more of these one-year rentals every year. Maybe this year would be a good time to add one since we have so many young guys coming in. With Coleman committed it doesn't look like we will do anything this year though.

Like a whisper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Like a whisper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't seen Syracuse listed as a possibility before. Jim Boeheim up to his old tricks.

Syracuse has been around. I remember reading about it a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I haven't seen Syracuse listed as a possibility before. Jim Boeheim up to his old tricks.

Yurtseven is projected by DraftExpress to be a lottery pick in the 2017 draft. Don't know how credible this site is, or their projections.

He was good, but not dominant, at the U-18 European Championships. Averaged about 9 and 9, while shooting in the low 50s from both the field and line. He had a teammate on that national team that is a potential first-round pick in this year's draft. Don't think any other school seriously in the running has anyone close to Poeltl to demonstrate development. And although he plays for Turkey, he is Uzbekistani by birth. (Another country that hasn't produced an NBA player!). You know how bullish I am on this part of the world being an emerging region for basketball talent -- landing Yurtseven would be significant.

I am still smarting over Markannen. Of all places, he chooses Arizona. From what I have seen Yurtseven has several high level programs chasing him, not just Syracuse and NC State. We could use some good news right now but I am not getting my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I am still smarting over Markannen. Of all places, he chooses Arizona. From what I have seen Yurtseven has several high level programs chasing him, not just Syracuse and NC State. We could use some good news right now but I am not getting my hopes up.
    I think I remember reading at the time that Markannen liked the ability to play immediately at AZ. Cant blame him, at that time. We had two 4's occupying those spots. Now with BC gone, and Kuzma looking like he will need to play some 3 (to what extent I haven't a clue), he could have slid right in to the starting spot. Oh well.

As Pat pointed out, if we could land Yurtseven and start a pipeline from that part of the world, that would be huge for us!