Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Thought it would be fun to post updates here.

Now, obviously, dont rip stuff off of UZ or somewhere else, but if you hear anything interesting, pass it along!

A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401

thx good work.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401
    Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?
    That was my thought as well. And from what @ColoUte told me on twitter, he is EXTREMELY streaky shooting; more of a slasher. If we are going for another wing; can we at least get someone who is 6'7 or 6'8? Too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    At this point, isn't it a "beggar's can't be choosers" thing? Besides, he's got a great name. Maybe he can be the rebounder we've been looking for.
    Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.

You are right, but we do have to have 12. If someone leaves now, we just fill in with the best player available. If there's a great rebounding power forward who wants to come here, yes, we obviously take him. If not, might as well get another decent body to have a full scrimmage.
    Not entirely; you don't want to tie up a scholarship for 4 years if the player doesn't have a good chance of being a decent contributor, and you also don't want to get into a situation where you are showing a lot of players the door every year, especially if they are good citizens. I'm OK with cutting some guys, but it's not good for the program to get a reputation for cutting too many guys loose.

Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.
    We are not yet beyond having to take the best players we can get at whatever position. This really would be something we need to defer to the coaches about. They lived with these players all year. Seymour didn't hardly even get in the game if he did at all during the last five games. Seymour may have no intention of returning.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage
    Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.

Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.
    I guess difference of opinion. I've had my shot blocked by shorter guys and I've blocked shots of taller guys. I don't really see it as a big deal until it becomes a big disparity - 6+ inches, and really, for a guard, I still don't see that as that big of a deal. Sure it is important for court vision and getting out of a trap, but I don't think it is the make or break that everyone here is making it out to be. Get the best players and get them on the floor

We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.

We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.
    So why is everyone so concerned about size? Sounds like Utah has size, just not proven players with size

Off topic, I visited your city of twin falls last month - nice place

So why is everyone so concerned about size? Sounds like Utah has size, just not proven players with size

Off topic, I visited your city of twin falls last month - nice place
    Number of players 6-8 or taller on Pac-12 teams:

Seven: Stanford, Cal

Six: UCLA, Arizona (doesn't include 6-7 Solomon Hill), USC (three 7-0 or taller), Oregon State (doesn't include 6-7 Joe Burton), Washington, Utah

Five: Oregon (doesn't include 6-7 Arsalan Kamezi),

Four: Arizona State (two 7-0 or taller), Colorado (doesn't include 6-7 Andre Roberson), Washington State.

On paper, Utah looks average. But I know Utah's roster better than I do any other team's, and that six includes David Foster, who didn't play a minute for us, and a walk-on who will likely never be on scholarship in Harry Whitt. With that in mind, now Utah is near/at the bottom of the league in terms of pure height -- talented or not.

I love living in Twin. Only thing missing that I truly crave is a good BBQ joint.

My personal opinion is that Utah is fine as far as height at center goes. We'll run out some combination of Olsen, Bachynski and Kovacevic next year and those guys all seem either average or above average in terms of height for a college center. Kovacevic appears to be skinny, so we'll see if that hurts him. The other two appear to have adequate width to hold their own against most college centers.

Where Utah's lack of size hurts is at forward and this is where Lenz's failure to make an impact really killed us. Loveridge is undersized at 4 and then he was basically playing with a third guard at the 3 in Martin/Tucker or sometimes Dubois/Seymour.

I think what Utah needs in the worst way is a 6'8" forward (an instant impact guy, perhaps from a JC or a senior transfer in the mold of Dubois) who can play big minutes alongside Loveridge. Even if said forward is skinny and more of a 3 than a bruising 4 it would still help a great deal to be bigger at the other forward spot. This would also help Utah to have good size at the 2 as another good forward would free up Wright/Tucker/Fields to play more at the 2 instead of the 3 full-time.

Tony Jones just tweeted out that 6'6 small forward (JUCO) Princeton Onwas will be in town for a visit this weekend and if all goes well, he will receive an offer. Currently has offers from TCU and Texas Tech.

Tony Jones just tweeted out that 6'6 small forward (JUCO) Princeton Onwas will be in town for a visit this weekend and if all goes well, he will receive an offer. Currently has offers from TCU and Texas Tech.
    Interesting that he has some decent offers, because his JuCo stats are incredibly underwhelming. Although I do like the idea of a big PG.

We are killing recruiting in the names department - Leroy Fludd, Princeton Onwas.
    LOL! indeed!

Jones is saying he's definitely a 3, not a PG. That he's very athletic.
    I hope he can defend like a madman, because his offensive JuCo stats are not pretty.

Another thing to note, though his stats may not be impressive, he was named to the All-Juco tournament first-team.

Does this confirm that someone is transferring?
    I have to think so. With how public the staff has been with these last two visits......I think at least one person will be gone.

Our good pal HoyosRevenge claims to have inside sources saying that Seymour, Dean, and Dotson are gone for sure. But this was from HoyosRevenge, so take it for what its worth.

Not to be a nit-picker, but I wish we could get an athletic player taller than 6'6".

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not to be a nit-picker, but I wish we could get an athletic player taller than 6'6".
    Im with you here.........its one of the few things I liked about Boylen's non-sensical roster in his final year; we had a lot of perimeter length and athleticism.

Tony just tweeted out that the Utes are NOT recruiting LeRoy Fludd at this time.

Tony just tweeted out that the Utes are NOT recruiting LeRoy Fludd at this time.
    But they are recruiting Elmer Fudd.

Not Lenz? It would be a shame to lose Seymour, but Dean and Dotson weren't headed for playing time in their senior year. The important part here is that Bachynski is not on the list.
    Agreed! I think Bach has a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    But they are recruiting Elmer Fudd.
    They will only sign Elmer Fudd if Yosemite Sam and Porky Pig (both juniors) commit as well.

It seems like that's what you get when you have to dip into the JUCO ranks in April. Athleticism without size or skill.
    So why bother? I don't see anything in his profile that would lead me to believe that he's an upgrade over any of the rumored departures.

Yes, but more importantly, he has size. We can swap out Dotsons and Deans for Onwas and Fludds anytime. But it's hard to find size.
    I agree with this. Especially when its not just deadweight either. Dallin showed an ability to be a force on both ends. Hoping he gets the chance to realize that potential here at Utah.

Another thing to note, though his stats may not be impressive, he was named to the All-Juco tournament first-team.
    Quite a feat, given Navarro didn't even qualify for Hutch. (EDIT: Unless he did it as a frosh, and I can't find last year's all-tournament team)
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 03-26-2013 at 07:47 PM.