Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1593

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Per Goon, Daniels will announce at 630 PM MT tonight. That is right in the middle of Night with the Runnin Utes.
    Is he planning on attending?

That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I not say we'd have plenty to smile about by the end of October?

9a2684c4213171476e13732af3b26537.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

He had offers from Georgia Tech, Kansas State, and DePaul. We are in decent company there. From all I can tell this looks like a great get.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Alex Markham from UteZone had a cool story on this.........remember the infamous "Its a great day to be a Ute!" tweet from the official Runnin Utes twitter? (If you have forgotten, it was on Sept 22 and was discussed on page 33 of this thread.) Apparently, that was not a "wires crossed" situation as had been reported. According to Markham, Daniels committed to Utah that day, but still wanted to visit DePaul just to be sure. He reaffirmed his commitment to the staff on monday. So there you go.

Anwyay, I am excited to have this kid. Could be a rich man's Dakari Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Could be a rich man's Dakari Tucker.
    Wow. That's high praise! I hope it goes down like that.

It's nice to see us get some "inside out" with Johnson and Daniels in this recruiting class - with length and skill in both cases. I took my 11 yr old son to NWTRU last night and was telling him how "big" this team has become. In LK's first year, I seem to remember that after Washburn our height took a nose dive. Now our front AND backcourt (Taylor notwithstandig) casts a pretty long shadow. We LOOK like a P5 basketball team. I'm living a dream.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Lightfoot off the boards...

To Kansas.
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Lightfoot off the boards...

To Kansas.
    I figured as much, but still a bummer.

As it stands now for 2016........

Leaving:
    Loveridge
    Taylor
    Tucker
    Poeltl (likely)

Joining:
    Johnson
    Daniels
    Zamora
    Van Dyke

I imagine we will have a transfer or two, so Id imagine we will keep our eyes open as the season goes along.

It’s been a slightly disappointing class, considering how many big names we were after. I wonder with how many recruits we “finished second”… my guess is Frank Jackson, Markkanen, McLaughlin, Brendan Bailey. Too bad coming up second in recruiting gets you nowhere. Hopefully one more year like last year will give us an extra boost in recruiting for 2017 and we’ll be able to close on some big names.

With that said, it’s still a very solid class. Most important thing was finding Poeltl’s replacement, and we got that with a top-75 center. We also lose a lot of shooting (Loveridge/Taylor/Tucker) so I like the Zamora pick up. Should be ready to contribute year one. I really like Devon Daniels, looks like a do-it-all guard. Good size and athleticism for his position and can shoot it as well.

Like has been said here, looking at the roster for 2016-17, I think we have one too many guards.

2016-17 potential 2-deep:
    1: I.Wright/Zamora
    2: Bonam/Daniels
    3: Bealer/Kuzma
    4: Chapman/ Reyes
    5: Johnson/Makol

We also have Ogbe, Van Dyke and Miller. That, to me, is too many 1’s and 2’s on the roster. Ogbe could play some 3, Van Dyke and Miller can’t.

To me it would make sense to have Miller or Van Dyke (or both) transfer to a MWC-level team (Utah St?) where they’d get more PT, thus opening a scholarship for us to add a big. Maybe I’m assuming too much (I haven’t seen Miller play in person), but PVD and Miller seem to be similar type of players… I could see the value in having one of those guys on the roster, but I’m not sure it makes much sense to have them both.

If I had to guess right now, I’d say we sign a JUCO 5 in the spring signing period this year.

The Basketball Recruiting Thread

It's funny how much things change in 2 years. We would have given up first borns for a class like this 2 years ago, and now people are down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's funny how much things change in 2 years. We would have given up first borns for a class like this 2 years ago, and now people are down on it.

It is human nature I think. Same thing with the loss to USC... someone was asking me why I thought people were so disappointed with the loss. For me I said it was just that I believed that we had reached a point where we could compete with anyone any time and that game proved it wasn't so. With basketball you get the sense that we are competing with the big boys and to lose out tells us we aren't quite there yet.

I'm actually pretty happy with the class we got, we have one important component with our coaching staff. They'll coach these guys to exceed expectations.

Diehard is right. We need to keep in mind where we've been and where we are going-- and our steadily upward trajectory. It's pretty exciting.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Diehard is right. We need to keep in mind where we've been and where we are going-- and our steadily upward trajectory. It's pretty exciting.

Don't worry. We have three more days until LA's wildest dream prophesies come true!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Don't worry. We have three more days until LA's wildest dream prophesies come true!
    I prophesied that we'd be smiling about BB recruiting by the end of October. I am smiling. So are all those who are honest in heart. If you're not in that group, repent!

prophet1.jpg

--Yeats

Of all the guys Utah was after, only one picked another P12 school.

And we still landed two of our top targets as well.

All in all a step up from 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

And they're highly rated kids 3 or 4 star guys. When Larry started he was struggling to get 2 star kids to answer the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

Not quite right. Lauri picked Arizona and McGlaughlin picked Oregon State (!). We also had a couple of plan B guys in CJ Keyser and Jonah Matthews who picked Colorado and USC, respectively, but I believe Utah only wanted those guys as alternatives to Devon Daniels.

Noah Togiai picked Beaver-Town as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Noah Togiai picked Beaver-Town as well.
    For football.

He's not even on their basketball roster.

Noah would have been a solid addition to our hoops roster. And it was a big donkey punch to Krystkowiak after he helped Noah get academically qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Noah would have been a solid addition to our hoops roster. And it was a big donkey punch to Krystkowiak after he helped Noah get academically qualified.
    Togiai looked pretty good in the limited action I saw Saturday.

Looking through Noah's twitter account briefly, he has a knack for searching out his name and arguing with anyone who has challenged him. Hes still a kid, but the more I see, I think this is a kid with a million dollar talent with a dollar menu brain.

Lol, and there is the annual out of nowhere commitment. Josh Conley, 6'7 wing currently in prep school.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...y-commits-utah

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm hoping he's related to Mike Conley. In fact, I'm gonna start that rumor.
    Absolutely. Peter Vecsey has made an entire career out of starting rumors based on things he thinks would make sense.

Very interesting and surprising commitment. Sounds like a late bloomer. I always love length and athleticism. Sounds like he can really defend and rebound but still needs to develop his shot. Although on the film I saw from his high school days, he has a decent looking set shot.

We now have 14 committed scholarships for 2016-17. Wonder if they've already had conversations with Miller about finding him a home where he can see some PT. Or if they see Ogbe's lingering groin injury as possibly career ending. Or maybe PVD doesn't plan on returning to the U after his mission.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Even after Delon, I'm skeptical of anyone who still needs to develop his shot. Visions of Onwas.

My guess is that Ogbe's playing days are over. But it's just a guess.
    I don't understand how anyone gets to this level without having a shot.

--Yeats

Coaches always think they can fix people, but the one thing that can't be fixed this late is no shot.

In football, the equivalent is a QB with a poor throwing motion. "Oh, we'll fix that," they think.
    It's just weird. Kids can go to the playground or some gym somewhere and shoot 100 shots a day. They can watch Youtubes on how to shoot. When my kids played rec league ball the shot was the first things their coaches worked on with them. At the end of the day it's the kid's responsibility -- he knows if he has a decent set or jump shot and he should care about that.

--Yeats

Coaches always think they can fix people, but the one thing that can't be fixed this late is no shot.

In football, the equivalent is a QB with a poor throwing motion. "Oh, we'll fix that," they think.
    The SportsCenter highlights showing dunks combined with the corrupt AAU system has left us with a lot of kids who can jump out of the gym but cant toss a ball into the ocean from the beach. There are numerous examples of people developing respectable jump shots at this level, but it sure would be nice if more kids came in with that fundamental down.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't understand how anyone gets to this level without having a shot.
    Being more athletic than anyone else on the floor can carry you a long ways.