Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It would be tempting to choose BYU for the Jimmer-ball. He gets to score 30 per game while shooting 28% from the field. Tons of attention.
    Everyone from Orem to Payson would be telling him how great he is.

saw a tweet a little while ago that Noah Togiai has not signed and has doubts that he will ever sign. Anybody know what is going on?

well, just saw an answer

http://www.sltrib.com/home/1856889-1...still-unsigned
    Last edited by concerned; 11-21-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    saw a tweet a little while ago that Noah Togiai has not signed and has doubts that he will ever sign. Anybody know what is going on?

well, just saw an answer

Don't go to USU, Noah.

well, just saw an answer

Maybe they're just stalling because of the rule that keeps him from playing football if he signs another LOI?

I really hope we get him, so don't get me wrong. But am I the only one who thinks, "Well, it will be too bad if Noah goes elsewhere but we can get other players like him now."

Now, don't rip me for saying that (looking at you, SCP) because I know we have to get the top local kids. But to me, the days of feeling deeply depressed because we lost out on one local blue-chipper seem to be past.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I really hope we get him, so don't get me wrong. But am I the only one who thinks, "Well, it will be too bad if Noah goes elsewhere but we can get other players like him now."

Now, don't rip me for saying that (looking at you, SCP) because I know we have to get the top local kids. But to me, the days of feeling deeply depressed because we lost out on one local blue-chipper seem to be past.
    Nah, I think that's fair. Larry has shown that he can get guys here. Obviously you want to land the top talent in state, but losing this guy won't break the program.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Im hoping we can land him, regardless of sport. He could be an all conference defender on the hardwood, or terrific in a few spots on the grid iron.

Agree. Plus if he signs we are 1 over----not sure who we would want or expect to leave??

I know there has been a heated debate about the importance of local kids vs. out of state kids on various forums covering many years, but if I've been staking ground on one side of this argument, it's that our most talented players have almost always been out of state kids. If anything, I'm with you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Frank Jackson decommits from BYU a week after attending the Utah-Oregon game and about 10 minutes after BYU's first game. Anyone have any inside on the situation?
    If BYU, who has been mining Lone Peak for the last decade, misses out on the one truly great player to come out of there, it would be the funniest thing in the history of recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The rumor is that Stanford and BYU are the front-runners. I doubt the kid comes to Utah - his mom is a HUGE BYU homer and his dad is a convert with no connection to the state (other than living in it right now). By the time his recruitment is done, I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.
    Tough to compete against Stanford in preparing a kid for the NBA? If I wanted to play in the NBA, I wouldn't seriously consider Stanford. Anyone that has watched Stanford in recent years under Johnny Dawkins coached knows that.

Now, if the kid doesn't think he will reach the NBA and wants a Stanford degree, then I could understand keeping them in the mix. I can guarantee Coach K and Utah's staff would better prepare Jackson and just about any player for development and a shot at the NBA then Dawkins and Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Tough to compete against Stanford in preparing a kid for the NBA? If I wanted to play in the NBA, I wouldn't seriously consider Stanford. Anyone that has watched Stanford in recent years under Johnny Dawkins coached knows that.

Now, if the kid doesn't think he will reach the NBA and wants a Stanford degree, then I could understand keeping them in the mix. I can guarantee Coach K and Utah's staff would better prepare Jackson and just about any player for development and a shot at the NBA then Dawkins and Stanford.
    Fair point. I should have said it's hard to compete against Duke, Arizona, and Stanford, period. But you are right that Stanford hasn't had the developmental success some other teams have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Fair point. I should have said it's hard to compete against Duke, Arizona, and Stanford, period. But you are right that Stanford hasn't had the developmental success some other teams have had.
    This may be hyperbole, but if we were to land Jackson, it just might be the biggest recruiting victory in Utah basketball history.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This may be hyperbole, but if we were to land Jackson, it just might be the biggest recruiting victory in Utah basketball history.
    If that's the case, he is probably a one-and-done anyway. I'd be happy to have him, but mostly I love the irony if BYU misses out on the first Lone Peak recruit to land on the big time national radar.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If that's the case, he is probably a one-and-done anyway. I'd be happy to have him, but mostly I love the irony if BYU misses out on the first Lone Peak recruit to land on the big time national radar.
    Same here!

Big news I just saw on twitter.... 4 star 2016 big man Zach Collins from Bishop Gorman has scheduled an official visit to SLC Feb 14-16. Other visits he has lined up are Cal, Gonzaga, and New Mexico. I watched a few short clips on him, he looks very skilled offensively... soft shot, good passer, great footwork. Doesn't exactly look like a "rim-protector", but apparently he's still growing.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zach-collins

So that makes 3 four-star big men (that I know of) that we're currently recruiting for 2016... would be huge if we could land one of them.

The others are...

Sydney 7 footer Isaac Humphries
    http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaac-humphries

and Jayce Johnson
    http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jayce-johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Big news I just saw on twitter.... 4 star 2016 big man Zach Collins from Bishop Gorman has scheduled an official visit to SLC Feb 14-16. Other visits he has lined up are Cal, Gonzaga, and New Mexico. I watched a few short clips on him, he looks very skilled offensively... soft shot, good passer, great footwork. Doesn't exactly look like a "rim-protector", but apparently he's still growing.

So that makes 3 four-star big men (that I know of) that we're currently recruiting for 2016... would be huge if we could land one of them.

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson
    Anyone know who our main targets are? Who are the 2-3 guys the coaches are betting on? And who are the 1-2 contingencies?

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson
    I think Krysko will continue to attract big men, especially as Poeltl develops and gets national attention. There will be more and more grounds for confidence in his ability to coach those bigs up.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Anyone know who our main targets are? Who are the 2-3 guys the coaches are betting on? And who are the 1-2 contingencies?
    Given none of our current centers will be on the roster for the start of the 2016-17 season, any center we go after is our primary target.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I know we are really going hard after jermaine haley from canada and frank jackson from lone peak.

Do we really have a shot at Frank J? I heard it was either Stanford, Duke or the Y. Are we really in the running?

Do we really have a shot at Frank J? I heard it was either Stanford, Duke or the Y. Are we really in the running?
    I'm not sure the Duke interest is there yet, but he seems to be on the radar. If Duke really does get serious, how could he pass on that for BYU or Stanford?

I have yet to see anything definitive on him. Last I read, he had released a top 5-6 list and the Y was not on it. But who knows,

-ESPN says he doesn't have an offer from Utah.
    -Rivals says he has "high" interest in BYU, Medium interest in Arizona St, and no interest in Utah
    -247sports says that he has official offers from Arizona, Arizona St, and Utah and has also heard from UCLA, Stanford and "a little" from Duke.

My experience tells me that when it comes to basketball recruiting, Rivals and scout are half-hearted in their coverage, ESPN is pretty good and 247 is generally on top of things. So, I hope that Duke's interest stays passive and I hope that we can land him. The article below says that Larry K was there to watch him at this particular tournament.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Top-30-Jac...uting-33978741
    http://247sports.com/Player/Frank-Jackson-42989

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson
    A recruiting class of Jackson, Haley, and one or two of these guys would be one of the best in the country. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But who would have thought we would land the 2014 class that we did?

With so much drama with football and the basketball team's success, I really haven't taken a look at hoops recruiting in a while. This thread got me going again.

Next years roster:
    Sr:
    Jordan Loveridge
    Jeremy Olsen
    Brandon Taylor
    Dakari Tucker

Jr:
    Kenneth Ogbe
    Chris Reyes

Soph:
    Isaiah Wright
    Kyle Kuzma
    Brekkott Chapman
    Gabe Bealer

Freshman:
    Brandon Miller
    Makol Mawien

This is making the assumptions that Jakob makes the jump (fairly high probability), Brandon Miller returns (no idea), and Noah Togiai picks football and/or chooses to play elsewhere (not a clue in the world). Unless I am mistaken, this gives us one more spot to fill. We desperately need a center. otherwise, we have good depth.

With Parker Van Dyke scheduled to return for 2016, we will need at least 3 more spots filled in 2016. This will be fun to follow.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Larry and Co has had success with the late signees. Looking over this thread, we had not heard anything about Poeltl or Reyes until late february of last year. And that is our starting frontcourt. And not even Tony Jones had reported on those guys until then. No doubt Larry has some irons in the fire that will only be revealed in time.

I'm not so sure Jakob is going.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm not so sure Jakob is going.
    Krysko noted on the coach's show Monday night that Poeltl still doesn't play well with his back to the basket. Will he learn that skill more quickly in the NBA, or would another year of Larry tutelage and some weight-lifting serve him better? That's part of the decision he'll have to make.

--Yeats

Krysko noted on the coach's show Monday night that Poeltl still doesn't play well with his back to the basket. Will he learn that skill more quickly in the NBA, or would another year of Larry tutelage and some weight-lifting serve him better? That's part of the decision he'll have to make.
    I think one thing is for sure. I think he will absolutely declare after this year, if for nothing else than to get evaluated (sidenote: remember when that bozo from Brazil, Jonathan Tavernari or something put his name in the ring to get an evaluation? LOL!) . As of right now, he is moving up draft boards, and that is undeniable. I think a lack of a post up game would put him in the same boat as 95% of prospects.

I think it will be fun to see how this plays out. Is the additional year of seasoning worth the risk of injury (especially when nba scouts/front office folks would just as soon let you develop in the Dleague in their system against higher level competition)? But then, I really think Larry could do wonders for this kid with another year, but then on the other hand, there won't be a Delon Wright to feed him the ball next year. Understanding all of the counter arguments, my money says he jumps after this year.

I actually dont think that we can lose long term here. If he stays, awesome. I am much, much more comfortable with out big rotation with him. If he leaves, what a recruiting leg up we would have.....(you know, we just had two of our guys drafted in the first round byu/usu/pac-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona hasn't had a ton of success getting guys there....).

Finally, kudos to anyone who saw this coming. I certainly did not. I expected him to play the Kova role this year if anything. What a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think one thing is for sure. I think he will absolutely declare after this year, if for nothing else than to get evaluated (sidenote: remember when that bozo from Brazil, Jonathan Tavernari or something put his name in the ring to get an evaluation? LOL!) . As of right now, he is moving up draft boards, and that is undeniable. I think a lack of a post up game would put him in the same boat as 95% of prospects.

I think it will be fun to see how this plays out. Is the additional year of seasoning worth the risk of injury (especially when nba scouts/front office folks would just as soon let you develop in the Dleague in their system against higher level competition)? But then, I really think Larry could do wonders for this kid with another year, but then on the other hand, there won't be a Delon Wright to feed him the ball next year. Understanding all of the counter arguments, my money says he jumps after this year.

I actually dont think that we can lose long term here. If he stays, awesome. I am much, much more comfortable with out big rotation with him. If he leaves, what a recruiting leg up we would have.....(you know, we just had two of our guys drafted in the first round byu/usu/pac-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona hasn't had a ton of success getting guys there....).

Finally, kudos to anyone who saw this coming. I certainly did not. I expected him to play the Kova role this year if anything. What a nice surprise.
    And of course the big reason he might declare: to get out of his rookie contract and to a big money contract a year earlier.

P.S. Does anybody other than Tim Duncan play with his back to the basket anymore? Poeltl doesnt seem much worse than Kanter at No. 3, but there are a lot of bigs ahead of him in the draft this year.

And of course the big reason he might declare: to get out of his rookie contract and to a big money contract a year earlier.

P.S. Does anybody other than Tim Duncan play with his back to the basket anymore? Poeltl doesnt seem much worse than Kanter at No. 3, but there are a lot of bigs ahead of him in the draft this year.
    Not enough people realize this. The real money in the NBA is on the second and third contract. And for the reason you listed above is the main reason I think Poeltl will leave after this year. It is far better to find the right situation then it is to be a top choice. Assuming that finding the right situation is equally likely in any draft year (crapshoot), if I were in his shoes, it would be awfully tough to pass up the NBA if I am a top 20 pick to see if I can slide up a few measely slots the next year, risking injury while im not being paid the whole time.

As for back to the basket players, there are a handful still. But not sure it is as big a factor as in past days.