Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Why would Ogbe or Olsen transfer? At a minimum, Olsen will get Bach's minutes next year and Ogbe was playing a decent amount of minutes before his injury. Unless for some unforeseen reason they are nudged out (which I don't gave any reason to believe would happen), they will both be back next year.
    As Ive clearly said a few times now, i went through the roster from top to bottom and picked the two that from my very outside perspective seemed like the most logical to me. If this is the first year in a longgggggggggg time that there is no transfers, Id be thrilled. Just last year, no one on the outside of the program saw Onwas leaving and he did. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It happens. But again, I hope Im wrong.

Decided to watch Mawien's videos again. IMO, he (and maybe Bealer) will be the most physically explosive athletes on the team; that's (quick-twitch muscle) not the most important trait of an athlete, it sure is nice to have. We definitely need more athletes like them against the higher caliber teams -- assuming other facets of their game are also developed. It's a constant balancing of what's-between-the-ears and physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    As Ive clearly said a few times now, i went through the roster from top to bottom and picked the two that from my very outside perspective seemed like the most logical to me. If this is the first year in a longgggggggggg time that there is no transfers, Id be thrilled. Just last year, no one on the outside of the program saw Onwas leaving and he did. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It happens. But again, I hope Im wrong.
    I agree that those two are the most likely. I also hope that neither leaves. Based on his pre-injury performance I was hoping that Ogbe would work himself into the position to replace Delon next year. It doesn't look like he is anywhere close to being able to do that as things stand right now. JO has been an integral part of the transformation of Utah basketball and I would like to see him finish things out at Utah. With Bach leaving, I think he can step into those minutes.

I have not seen any rumors about additional 2015 recruits, so it appears the staff is not anticipating anyone leaving.

Apparently they're is a 6'10" finnish player who is coached by hanno Mottola. St Johns, unc and gonzaga are asher him
    http://zagsblog.com/articles/recruit...tball-borders/
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So, we are all sure Kuzma is staying? There have been rumors that he was considering leaving. But, since this all started floating around, his minutes have gone up.

As for getting paid, Poeltl will go late first round, if he goes this year (barring a huge tourney performance). If he wen't 20-ish, he would get a 4 year, 7 million dollar deal. Let's say he maxes out his next contract. Then he signs a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. Those two deals would end when he was 28-ish and total approx 70 million. It would set him up for one more max deal.

If he stayed one year, and went top 5, he'd get a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal. Then a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. He would be 29-ish and would still be eligible for one more max deal. Those two contracts would total approx 80 million dollars.

So, if he thinks he can be a top 5 player, then staying would get him 10 million more, and not diminish future money.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    So, we are all sure Kuzma is staying? There have been rumors that he was considering leaving. But, since this all started floating around, his minutes have gone up.

As for getting paid, Poeltl will go late first round, if he goes this year (barring a huge tourney performance). If he wen't 20-ish, he would get a 4 year, 7 million dollar deal. Let's say he maxes out his next contract. Then he signs a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. Those two deals would end when he was 28-ish and total approx 70 million. It would set him up for one more max deal.

If he stayed one year, and went top 5, he'd get a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal. Then a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. He would be 29-ish and would still be eligible for one more max deal. Those two contracts would total approx 80 million dollars.

So, if he thinks he can be a top 5 player, then staying would get him 10 million more, and not diminish future money.
    Kuzma used a redshirt last year; hed have to really hate it here to want to leave.

Larry has a tough time keeping everyone content with their minutes. Last night, Loveridge only got 18 minutes. Delon and Taylor always get their minutes, with Ogbe and Isaiah Wright picking up the leftovers. Reyes, Chapman and Kuzma seem to split 40 minutes each night. The centers split 40. Loveridge and Dakari split 40.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Larry has a tough time keeping everyone content with their minutes. Last night, Loveridge only got 18 minutes. Delon and Taylor always get their minutes, with Ogbe and Isaiah Wright picking up the leftovers. Reyes, Chapman and Kuzma seem to split 40 minutes each night. The centers split 40. Loveridge and Dakari split 40.
    I noticed Loveridge came out last night right after committing a bad turnover. I sort of lost track of him after that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I noticed Loveridge came out last night right after committing a bad turnover. I sort of lost track of him after that.
    He also gotten beaten 3 straight times by Bird--who is a good but not great player. After the last one he sat for the rest of the game.
    Ogbe got 2 quick fouls in 1st half & was done. I Wright played 2nd half. He had a hard time with Wallace.

Tucker has really improved. If he could finish with his left hand--he never tries, he would hit the next level. His D & rebounding are much better.

anyone who is bored during their lunch break can check out future Ute Makol Mawien going up against Davis in the state tournament @ 11:10 Mountain.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...rst-round.html

The Arizona/ASU thread puts Frank Jackson in the arena for the ASU game.

Could the Utes be picking up some more interest here? Especially as they have shown they are for real this season?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The Arizona/ASU thread puts Frank Jackson in the arena for the ASU game.

Could the Utes be picking up some more interest here? Especially as they have shown they are for real this season?
    I don't want to fuel speculation but I have heard from people connected to the family that he's moved Utah up on his list. FWIW.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't want to fuel speculation but I have heard from people connected to the family that he's moved Utah up on his list. FWIW.
    He was wearing red, FWIW (not much).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He was wearing red, FWIW (not much).
    Then he's clearly not interested ion the Utes, given it was a blackout game.

Who's this four-star kid that's verballed with ASU out of American Fork and what's his story with Utah?

2016 has the potential to be an even better recruiting class than 2014. Frank Jackson would be a HUGE get for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Then he's clearly not interested ion the Utes, given it was a blackout game.
    he was in red and black. He was game appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Who's this four-star kid that's verballed with ASU out of American Fork and what's his story with Utah?
    Brendan Bailey, son of Thurl. We offered him, but I never heard much after that (no tweets saying "Larry K is here to see Brendan Bailey!" so not sure if he ever had a committable offer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Brendan Bailey, son of Thurl. We offered him, but I never heard much after that (no tweets saying "Larry K is here to see Brendan Bailey!" so not sure if he ever had a committable offer or not.
    He is a 2016 grad, so there's 8 months before he can sign his LOI. I know we've got space -- he'll be a frosh the year after Loveridge, Tucker, Olsen and Taylor leave.

He is a 2016 grad, so there's 8 months before he can sign his LOI. I know we've got space -- he'll be a frosh the year after Loveridge, Tucker, Olsen and Taylor leave.
    I thought Bailey verballed to ASU because neither the u or the Y were that interested, but I could be wrong.

I saw Frank Jackson, Yoeli Childs and Makol Mawien at the game Saturday. I also think that sitting next to Frank was Christian PoPoola... although I'm not sure of that, but it did look like him.

He has an older sister who is some sort of athlete at ASU (volleyball, or something). I think that played into his decision somewhat. Thurl was on local radio and DJ/PK asked him about his son's ASU committment. He said he left it all up to his son. Wanted his son to make the choice. He told about how the son was down visiting his sister and surprised the family and ASU with his verbal weekend. That was about six weeks ago.

Brendan Bailey, Thurl's son. He is awful. I have seen him play in person about 7 times the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    I saw Frank Jackson, Yoeli Childs and Makol Mawien at the game Saturday. I also think that sitting next to Frank was Christian PoPoola... although I'm not sure of that, but it did look like him.
    It wasn't PoPoola with Frank at the game. It was Frank's shooting coach who has become a good friend of the Jackson family. I hope Utah recruits PoPoola. He is good athlete and a long guard. Pop already has offers from Unlv and a couple of other schools. I sat with and assistant coach from SDSU during the LP vs. AF game and he was there to see Pop. They love him. That coach told me Stanford really likes Pop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I hope Utah recruits PoPoola.
    He's class of 2017? I'm sure Utah will recruit him. He'll get his P5 offers in time.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He's class of 2017? I'm sure Utah will recruit him. He'll get his P5 offers in time.
    He is a 2017 kid. He will get his p5 offers. Would love to see him as a ute. Kid can ball.

Zach Collins committed to the Zags today.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    "I'm just so excited to beat Pacific by 60 points."

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Boo. WCC. The conference of meaty centers with no athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Boo. WCC. The conference of meaty centers with no athleticism.
    Have you seen Xavier's center? BYU will feel right at home against that guy. I don't know how St Mary's missed that guy.