Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Hybrid View

The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Thought it would be fun to post updates here.

Now, obviously, dont rip stuff off of UZ or somewhere else, but if you hear anything interesting, pass it along!

A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401

thx good work.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401
    Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?
    That was my thought as well. And from what @ColoUte told me on twitter, he is EXTREMELY streaky shooting; more of a slasher. If we are going for another wing; can we at least get someone who is 6'7 or 6'8? Too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    At this point, isn't it a "beggar's can't be choosers" thing? Besides, he's got a great name. Maybe he can be the rebounder we've been looking for.
    Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.

Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.
    We are not yet beyond having to take the best players we can get at whatever position. This really would be something we need to defer to the coaches about. They lived with these players all year. Seymour didn't hardly even get in the game if he did at all during the last five games. Seymour may have no intention of returning.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

You are right, but we do have to have 12. If someone leaves now, we just fill in with the best player available. If there's a great rebounding power forward who wants to come here, yes, we obviously take him. If not, might as well get another decent body to have a full scrimmage.
    Not entirely; you don't want to tie up a scholarship for 4 years if the player doesn't have a good chance of being a decent contributor, and you also don't want to get into a situation where you are showing a lot of players the door every year, especially if they are good citizens. I'm OK with cutting some guys, but it's not good for the program to get a reputation for cutting too many guys loose.

Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage
    Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.

Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.
    I guess difference of opinion. I've had my shot blocked by shorter guys and I've blocked shots of taller guys. I don't really see it as a big deal until it becomes a big disparity - 6+ inches, and really, for a guard, I still don't see that as that big of a deal. Sure it is important for court vision and getting out of a trap, but I don't think it is the make or break that everyone here is making it out to be. Get the best players and get them on the floor

We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.

We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.
    So why is everyone so concerned about size? Sounds like Utah has size, just not proven players with size

Off topic, I visited your city of twin falls last month - nice place

I've missed out on Ahmad Fields. What are the basics on him?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I've missed out on Ahmad Fields. What are the basics on him?
    6'5, 6'6, athletic wing player. Fearless when taking it to the basket. If you mention his name on twitter, he is almost guaranteed to retweet you.

Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.
    I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program.

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop.The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program.

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop.The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.
    I am as puzzled as anyone about this commit.

--Yeats

I don't get the Onwas recruitment.

--Yeats

Sure, Utah needs more offense, we all know that, but at the same time, look where the team would have been without Martin last year. He was worth at least 10 ppg in his defense alone, any offense was a bonus. If this guy is being described as a Cedric Martin 2.0, and has the defense to go with it, I'm thrilled.

Sure, Utah needs more offense, we all know that, but at the same time, look where the team would have been without Martin last year. He was worth at least 10 ppg in his defense alone, any offense was a bonus. If this guy is being described as a Cedric Martin 2.0, and has the defense to go with it, I'm thrilled.
    this is spot on.

this is spot on.
    I'm guessing that right now the objective is get the best player available without regard to position. I'd rather get an effective wing than a big stiff.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm guessing that right now the objective is get the best player available without regard to position. I'd rather get an effective wing than a big stiff.
    Tony Jones says its Ogbe or no one.......I know we are still in the running for reynolds, the 4 man. be interesting to see how this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Wings can be stiffs too.

Good find. Thanks.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I listened to most of this. It's a little frustsrating because there were a lot of generalizataions, and I couldn't care less about the Jazz or the NBA.

But, the good news is that apparently there will be no mass exodus (we're so traumatized fearing this). At the end of the interview Kodiak says he's excited for the continuity, the core four freshmen who made an impact returning, and seeing improvement in them. Earlir he says they're already better than at season's end, singling out Dakarai Tucker. He says he's hoping for two recruits. Apparently it's only about 98% that Seymour will transfer. He's still working out with the team and going to class, and Kodiak hasn't signed the release. So, you all keeping track of the numbers, what does this mean about numbers of transfers?

You know what I like most about this coach? No excuses. He could whine about the moonscape (love that description U-Ute) Boylen left him. Not a word of it. He's just all about progress, a blind eye to the past. It's like an act of faith on our part and his.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

We are expecting next to nothing out of Dean, Dotson, and Seymour next season. If we get nothing out of their replacements, we brake even. If we get something, it's a bonus. We are basically talking about our 12th man here. Sure, we'd all love a 6'9", 250 pound rebounding monster, but it aint happening at this point in the year.
    I only think one of dotson and dean leaves. at least thats how larry put it last night. all reports of both being asked to leave were erroneous.

But I agree with your general point.

In college basketball wings are the one thing it's hard to get too much of.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo