Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I am fairly certain Utah isn't taking Onwas, Ogbe and Garrett. My guess is only one of the three.

I don't agree with Hoyo's general outlook of Larry and the direction of the program but it doesn't mean he's wrong on everything. In fact he's posted some intel lately that has been exactly what I have heard from another trusted source, so he appears to have at least some good info.
    I agree. And we have no legitimate data on where Garrett is looking. To me, I want the German kid more than anything.

As far as Hoyos credibility goes, I dont follow him, I dont read him, so I dont know what his info is. I am skeptical because of his less than stellar track record.

Okay Pat, is it Amir Garrett that you were referring to? Hoyo said Ute fans should keep an eye on him. He's a 6-6 G/F transfer from St Johns, would have two more years of eligibility, looks like he's originally from LA (west coast ties). He seems to meet all the criteria in the quoted post, but in another you referred to adding size. I had assumed you meant a PF or C but maybe you just meant adding size to the backcourt.
    When the dust has settled, I'll go into more detail.

According to Larry on his ESPN 700 segment, the staff is looking to fill two spots for next season. So, it sounds like they plan on one more transfer (which I have to think is dotson) and anything beyond will most likely be unexpected.

and............we got a verbal from juco wing Princeton Onwas!

Interesting to me..........Bill and Hans are referring to Princeton as a "point guard" I don't know about that, but it does seem that the staff is trying to bring in players that are 1) long 2) athletic 3) can handle the ball.

I am crossing my fingers that we get a commit from this German kid.

I don't get it. Onwas can't shoot. This team was very good defensively but lost games because we couldn't score and often couldn't board. I don't think Onwas helps in either area. I assumed it was an either/or think between him and the German kid. I would have much preferred the German.

I don't get it. Onwas can't shoot. This team was very good defensively but lost games because we couldn't score and often couldn't board. I don't think Onwas helps in either area. I assumed it was an either/or think between him and the German kid. I would have much preferred the German.
    Just because the German kid can shoot in Germany doesn't mean he can shoot here (and I'm not sure you can even rely on the reported statistics). The quality of any amateur league he played in over there is horrible. Or am I way off base? Did he play here in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Just because the German kid can shoot in Germany doesn't mean he can shoot here (and I'm not sure you can even rely on the reported statistics). The quality of any amateur league he played in over there is horrible. Or am I way off base? Did he play here in the states?
    Where can I find Onwas' statistics?

Where can I find Onwas' statistics?
    Found them. 60% free throw shooter. Yikes.

Of course, Dubois' percentages weren't that great coming in and he was terrific for us.

If Kansas State wanted him he's not chopped liver. That K-State coach can recruit like crazy. K-State was upset in the NCAA first round this year, but tied Kansas for the Big 12 title.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Found them. 60% free throw shooter. Yikes.

Of course, Dubois' percentages weren't that great coming in and he was terrific for us.
    I don't see a thing about this kid statistically that makes me believe he can cut it in the Pac-12, so I've got to rely on something besides stats to make me believe this kid is a good pickup, namely that he did play on an above-average team with presumably other D-1 prospects as well. Also, JUCO ball can be a little scattershot when it comes to schemes, which would lead to lower percentages. That said, the Texas JUCOs I have seen up close that were on par or better than Navarro produced kids that were statistically superior to Onwas.

Also, don't take Onwas' point-guard position seriously. Navarro has eight PGs listed on this roster:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...ge?view=lineup

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't see a thing about this kid statistically that makes me believe he can cut it in the Pac-12, so I've got to rely on something besides stats to make me believe this kid is a good pickup, namely that he did play on an above-average team with presumably other D-1 prospects as well. Also, JUCO ball can be a little scattershot when it comes to schemes, which would lead to lower percentages. That said, the Texas JUCOs I have seen up close that were on par or better than Navarro produced kids that were statistically superior to Onwas.

Also, don't take Onwas' point-guard position seriously. Navarro has eight PGs listed on this roster:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...ge?view=lineup
    Did he actually take a trip to K-State? I think it matters who else wanted him.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If Kansas State wanted him he's not chopped liver. That K-State coach can recruit like crazy. K-State was upset in the NCAA first round this year, but tied Kansas for the Big 12 title.
    K-State is recruiting for depth, perhaps as a fallback option to non-qualifiers and transfers. We're recruiting for immediate impact. There is a massive difference. K-State is not bringing him in to start, since it has Angel Rodriguez for two more years.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 04-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Did he actually take a trip to K-State? I think it matters who else wanted him.
    No offer, no visit according to Rivals. Offered by TCU and Houston, tripped to TCU.

No offer, no visit according to Rivals. Offered by TCU and Houston, tripped to TCU.
    He was scheduled to visit K-State. Also, the TCU offer is a good sign. Trent Johnson can recruit like a mother. Look at his 2013 class. I'd trade ours for his.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...u-horned-frogs

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.
    I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program.

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop.The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I have to think so. With how public the staff has been with these last two visits......I think at least one person will be gone.

Our good pal HoyosRevenge claims to have inside sources saying that Seymour, Dean, and Dotson are gone for sure. But this was from HoyosRevenge, so take it for what its worth.
    If HoyosRevenge is the poster formerly known as Mr. Crimson, I would say the chances he has any credible sources or inside information are pretty slim. One more player may be transerring but both?
    Last edited by #1 Utefan; 04-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program.

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop.The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.
    I am as puzzled as anyone about this commit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

He was scheduled to visit K-State. Also, the TCU offer is a good sign. Trent Johnson can recruit like a mother. Look at his 2013 class. I'd trade ours for his.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...u-horned-frogs

He can recruit but can't coach a lick. That said, the program would be in better shape today if we could have gotten him after Majerus instead of Giac.

K-State is recruiting for depth, perhaps as a fallback option to non-qualifiers and transfers. We're recruiting for immediate impact. There is a massive difference. K-State is not bringing him in to start, since it has Angel Rodriguez for two more years.
    I disagree with this. With Wright, Van Dyke, and Fields coming in and Tucker and Taylor already in the fold, there aren't really minutes for someone to make an immediate impact. I think we are recruiting for depth, at least with this signing. Now, I think the German kid has the potential to come in and be an immediate impact guy.

I disagree with this. With Wright, Van Dyke, and Fields coming in and Tucker and Taylor already in the fold, there aren't really minutes for someone to make an immediate impact. I think we are recruiting for depth, at least with this signing. Now, I think the German kid has the potential to come in and be an immediate impact guy.
    What do we know about the German kid? Has he been playing basketball here in the states? What are his ppg and shooting %'s? If Utah is planning on bringing in this kid (who appears to be about the same size as over half the roster now), why bring in Onwas as well?

One of the few blurbs I could find on Ogbe (a season preview from 2012) said he isn't much of a scorer, averaging only 7.1 ppg. Is there something else out there to indicate he blew up in 2012-13? I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out what value there is in bringing in yet another wing player unless they have very good offensive skills.
    Last edited by #1 Utefan; 04-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.

One of the few blurbs I could find on Ogbe (a season preview from 2012) said he isn't much of a scorer, averaging only 7.1 ppg. Is there something else out there to indicate he blew up in 2012-13? I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out what value there is in bringing in yet another wing player unless they have very good offensive skills.
    When you have 13 scholarships, youll have redundancy somewhere. I dont know what his stats are or anything. All I have is the words from people that I trust. Tony Jones tweeted out that he has sources saying that when this Ogbe kid practiced against the utes on saturday, he was hands down the best player.

I agree though, that a front court player would be good, but right now, ill just take all the talent we can get.

When you have 13 scholarships, youll have redundancy somewhere. I dont know what his stats are or anything. All I have is the words from people that I trust. Tony Jones tweeted out that he has sources saying that when this Ogbe kid practiced against the utes on saturday, he was hands down the best player.

I agree though, that a front court player would be good, but right now, ill just take all the talent we can get.

I agree but am wondering where the information is on Ogbe and what reason we have to believe that he would even be an upgrade offensively on Dotson, Dean, or anyone else on the current roster for that matter. I get bringing in guys with a lot of talent and upside. I'm just not yet convinced that Onwas on Ogbe fit that bill.

I agree but am wondering where the information is on Ogbe and what reason we have to believe that he would even be an upgrade offensively on Dotson, Dean, or anyone else on the current roster for that matter. I get bringing in guys with a lot of talent and upside. I'm just not yet convinced that Onwas on Ogbe fit that bill.
    Heres where I have to give the coaches my trust. Last year, Dakari Tucker and Brandon Taylor were brought in april/may. Larry was barbecued by the usual cast of characters for bringing in these schmucks who had no real offers. Well, Id say that the staff got both right. Are they all-league? no, but they are a LOT better than any the most optimistic of fans predicted.

Heres where I have to give the coaches my trust. Last year, Dakari Tucker and Brandon Taylor were brought in april/may. Larry was barbecued by the usual cast of characters for bringing in these schmucks who had no real offers. Well, Id say that the staff got both right. Are they all-league? no, but they are a LOT better than any the most optimistic of fans predicted.
    I get your point. Taylor was definitely a diamond in the rough find and Tucker hopefully will continue to blossom and become a decent role player (he made a lot of strides toward the end of the year). The thing I'm struggling with is the duplication of guys that are seemingly about the same size, play the same positions, and seemingly have limited offensive games. I'll trust you that the coaches know what they are doing and that Ogbe has the upside you reference but I guess I was underwhelmed with what limited info I was able to find about him online. Hopefully, he is a late bloomer.

I get bringing in one more wing but when you already have Tucker, Wright, Van Dyke, Dotson (maybe), Loveridge and now Onwas all in that 6'3'' - 6'6'' range, it seems to me the program would be better served looking for players now in the 6'7'' -6'10'' range that can bang, rebound, and play down low. I'm assuming they are looking for these players right now. I'm just hoping there are schollies left if they can find one.

We went 15-17 last year and finished 10th in the league. We do not have the luxury of recruiting for depth by signing a player who might not break into our top 8 in minutes played. Losing teams recruit JuCOs for immediate impact. Winning teams do it for depth. We've got it backwards with this signing.

We went 15-17 last year and finished 10th in the league. We do not have the luxury of recruiting for depth by signing a player who might not break into our top 8 in minutes played. Losing teams recruit JuCOs for immediate impact. Winning teams do it for depth. We've got it backwards with this signing.
    Again, I think its fair to say that the staff has earned at least a "wait and see" on this kid. Terrible shooting percentages, but ill withhold judgement one way or the other until the season starts.