Thread: Working out.

Hybrid View

Narrowed it down to a Concept2 Model E or Waterrower Club rowing machine. Anyone have experience with either?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Narrowed it down to a Concept2 Model E or Waterrower Club rowing machine. Anyone have experience with either?
    I use a Concept2 rower in our gym. Solidly built, whose things will last forever. There is a reason they are chosen by health clubs. I have never used a water tower. I have read they are more smooth, and I suppose people who actually row on rivers and lakes like the sloshing sound.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Tried them side by side today.

C2 is solid. Really solid. Smoother pulling action and sits higher off the ground. Less stress on back and knees climbing on and off. Great monitor. Kinda noisy.

Waterower. Built solid and has more of a home gym "furniture" quality about it. Something you'd see in a swanky loft, even though they're popular in gyms. Stores easily. Seat and handles are more comfortable, but pulling action is not as smooth. Resistance is by how hard you pull. Monitor not as nice. Much quieter. If your home gym is in a place that disturbs others, then this is the only real choice. Low to the ground. Pulling lever is made of a strap, not a chain.

Both rowers need a 9x4 area to function properly. Cost is $900 for a C2-D and around $1100 for a C2-E (20 inch seat off the ground) and the Waterower. Waterower needs minimal water mtc, and the C2 needs minimal chain mtc. You can buy an extra seat pad for the C2 for only $3.50 so that helps the seat comfort issue.

In the end I think the C2 is the better fit for us. The smoother pulling action giving me what I believed was a better workout was the final selling point. Plus, our trainer swears by the reliable build and low mtc of the machine.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Tried them side by side today.

C2 is solid. Really solid. Smoother pulling action and sits higher off the ground. Less stress on back and knees climbing on and off. Great monitor. Kinda noisy.

Waterower. Built solid and has more of a home gym "furniture" quality about it. Something you'd see in a swanky loft, even though they're popular in gyms. Stores easily. Seat and handles are more comfortable, but pulling action is not as smooth. Resistance is by how hard you pull. Monitor not as nice. Much quieter. If your home gym is in a place that disturbs others, then this is the only real choice. Low to the ground. Pulling lever is made of a strap, not a chain.

Both rowers need a 9x4 area to function properly. Cost is $900 for a C2-D and around $1100 for a C2-E (20 inch seat off the ground) and the Waterower. Waterower needs minimal water mtc, and the C2 needs minimal chain mtc. You can buy an extra seat pad for the C2 for only $3.50 so that helps the seat comfort issue.

In the end I think the C2 is the better fit for us. The smoother pulling action giving me what I believed was a better workout was the final selling point. Plus, our trainer swears by the reliable build and low mtc of the machine.
    You should be happy with your choice for many years. They are bulletproof, smooth, and Concept2 has been making rowers for over 30 years. I'm jealous, I'd like one in my house. But my work has one in our onsite gym, so I can't justify the cost or taking up the space in our house.

On a side note, every time I see this thread title, this comes to mind:

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You should be happy with your choice for many years. They are bulletproof, smooth, and Concept2 has been making rowers for over 30 years. I'm jealous, I'd like one in my house. But my work has one in our onsite gym, so I can't justify the cost or taking up the space in our house.

On a side note, every time I see this thread title, this comes to mind:

Update: Have had the concept2 for several months now. Love it. Steady as a rock. Also supplemented the workout room with some professional quality dumbbells. Feel like I can do pretty much anything with just those 2 pieces. Now my wife has her stuff, and I have mine. Both are happy.

Banned
    Here is a tacticool workout: Maybe NSFW