Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Baltimore Orioles Thread

The Official Baltimore Orioles Thread

Orioles sign O;Day to a two year deal. I'm happy about this. O'Day did a great job as the setup guy in the 2nd half of the season last year when Strop struggled, so locking him up for two years with a club option for a 3rd year is a good thing.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...s_bal&c_id=bal
    Last edited by GarthUte; 02-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.

btw - is there any reason why we have MLB in the college baseball forum rather than pro sports forum? I'm not complaining as it will be easier to find MLB talk; I'm just curious about why it's here.

If a mod would change the title of this thread to "The official Baltimore Orioles thread", it would be must appreciated. I'd like to keep all my posts about the Os in one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    btw - is there any reason why we have MLB in the college baseball forum rather than pro sports forum? I'm not complaining as it will be easier to find MLB talk; I'm just curious about why it's here.
    It is a baseball forum, as baseball is deserving of its own distinction.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    It is a baseball forum, as baseball is deserving of its own distinction.
    I agree that the one true sport upon the face of the earth definitely needs its own forum.

Thanks for changing the title. (I'm assuming it was you, JIC).

Baseball needs it's own planet where it is played year round in nice stadiums.

Gausman's spring training debut, 1 2/3 innings of play, fastball tops 98.
    http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...51850&c_id=bal

Orioles take on the Yankees tomorrow. Go O's!

This right here is why I love IPU. Way to get it started early, brother!

Go Orioles!!!

Orioles lineup vs Yankees, 11:00am MT start.

Nolan Reimold LF
    Brian Roberts 2B
    Nick Markakis DH
    Adam Jones CF
    Matt Wieters C
    J.J. Hardy SS
    Chris Davis 1B
    Conor Jackson RF
    Manny Machado 3B
    Brian Matusz LHP

Game is on MLB.TV if you have it.

Go O's!

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    Gausman's spring training debut, 1 2/3 innings of play, fastball tops 98.
    http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...51850&c_id=bal

Orioles take on the Yankees tomorrow. Go O's!
    The most impressive thing about Gausman is the difference of about 15 mph in the velocity of his fastball and changeup. That will keep hitters honest as long as he can consistently paint the corners.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Big win for the Orioles, I'll take a win over Price any day. O's made Price work today even though he shut the Orioles down after a 2 run 1st inning, left after reaching a 100 pitches in 6 innings. Jones, Wieters and Davis were big a combined 6-12, and combined 7 RBIs.

Longoria is a stud, had 3 big plays at 3rd that if not made could have blown the game wide open for the Orioles.

Big win for the Orioles, I'll take a win over Price any day. O's made Price work today even though he shut the Orioles down after a 2 run 1st inning, left after reaching a 100 pitches in 6 innings. Jones, Wieters and Davis were big a combined 6-12, and combined 7 RBIs.

Longoria is a stud, had 3 big plays at 3rd that if not made could have blown the game wide open for the Orioles.
    Amen. Great to see the 3, 4 and 5 hitters come up big on opening day.

It was a fun game to watch. Chris Davis' HR was huge and the timing of it couldn't have been better.

Agreed about Longoria. Dude has a helluva glove.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

So Chris Davis is only hitting .636 with 3 HR and 11 RBI in three games. Oh well, perhaps he'll get it going later in the season.

Who's Bryce Harper? Signed Chris Davis.

Go O's!

What a comeback! From the guys you least expect. I was surprised Buck did not pinch hit Flaherty, but it payed off with a big 2 out single and of course the clutch HR by Manny. Go O's!

What a comeback! From the guys you least expect. I was surprised Buck did not pinch hit Flaherty, but it payed off with a big 2 out single and of course the clutch HR by Manny. Go O's!
    I like that Buck will sometimes go against conventional wisdom like that because it can force the other team to alter their strategy. If the Sox were expecting a pinch hitter, they were prepared for it and could no longer go with how they were going to pitch. (I actually didn't watch the game, so I'm basing my comments on the assumption that Flaherty was the starter at 2B last night.)

Why is there a Baltimore Orioles thread?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Why is there a Baltimore Orioles thread?
    Because the Orioles are the preferred team of the Almighty.

That and I started it because I've been a fan since I was a wee lad.

Adam Jones had two clutch RBI hits to give the Os the win; a single in the 5th to tie the game and a double in the 7th which was the game winner. Dude is going to be a serious contender for AL MVP this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Because the Orioles are the preferred team of the Almighty.
    But there's already a Dodgers thread.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

But there's already a Dodgers thread.
    The Dodgers are a bunch of bums.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    The Dodgers are a bunch of bums.
    You sound like a Giants fan. I am so disappointed in you.

--Yeats

You sound like a Giants fan. I am so disappointed in you.
    Giants....pffft. Cubs fan. Take the lights out of Wrigley.

Giants....pffft. Cubs fan. Take the lights out of Wrigley.
    Oh, I see. Another masochist.

--Yeats

Oh, I see. Another masochist.
    Baseball isn't about winning and losing. It is about sitting in the stands in the sunshine and having a hotdog.

Baseball isn't about winning and losing. It is about sitting in the stands in the sunshine and having a hotdog.
    You are 100% right, sir.

--Yeats

You meant a beer