Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Here's a twist to think about. Wonder what the reaction/ ratings would be like if 700 would pair either OC or Swinney with a really knowledgeable sports geek female. Just to continue this thread anyone care to throw out names?

I'll start Rebecca over on Channel 13.
    Last edited by WhoAmISir; 02-17-2017 at 08:00 AM.

I don't think it would hurt. I just don't see why this area is so hard. These guys only have 3 hours a day. In television, that means 42 minutes every hour. That is three 14 minute segments. That is 9 segments a day. That is all.

Two segments, go over the Jazz game. One segment go over Utah football. One segment, go over Utah basketball. Have two guests. One segment, go over football in general. NFL, BYU, PAC-12. One segment dedicated to some sort of PAC-12 thing. One segment for national news.

That is 9 segments. That's it. This isn't rocket science.

And honestly, for a show like OC's, his three o'clock listeners and his 5 o'clock listeners are probably not the same people.

So, hour one, do your headlines, Utah football, Jazz.

Hour two, your filler crap. Utah basketball, BYU/NFL/PAC-12, guest.

Hour three, go over some headlines again, review the Jazz, do Utah football, replay a guest interview or have another big name on the show.

That's it.

Should be pretty simple stuff.

But, what do I know, right? Because we just have to have all this silly banter about pants or whatever.

And I didn't even take into account all the time spent talking about whatever food or remote location they are at.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmISir View Post
    Here's a twist to think about. Wonder what the reaction/ ratings would be like if 700 would pair either OC or Swinney with a really knowledgeable sports geek female. Just to continue this thread anyone care to throw out names?

I'll start Rebecca over on Channel 13.
    I am not sure if people will ever be able to get past the Britain Covey thing with Rebecca, unfortunately. People still tweet at her about it. Which is funny because how many times has Monson said something even more dumb than that and no one brings it up every time he tweets. I would listen though, as I think she knows whats going on. 700 had Amy Donaldson host for a while, but I dont know how the ratings were.

I'll admit, I like Gunther. I think he's one of the better local guys. In his case, I'm not expecting a smooth orator with the brains of Einstein. I'm expecting a dumb jock with *some* real life experience/insights into competitive athletics and a bit of a sense of humor. I actually like his stuff. He just needs a better "straight man" to be with. I think he and DJ or Bill Riley or Checkets would do a good show together.

I'm also not as polarized about Monsen as some. I think he's okay. He gets a little high and mighty sometimes, and I agree that he's a) stepped in "it" a few times, and b) been caught blatantly trolling. But listeners/readers hold onto his follies way too long and way too hard. When a guy has been a journalist and talk show host for, what, 20 years in a market this size, you're going to say and do a few stupid things over the course of that time.

I sort of pity guys who've had to prop up Utah, BYU, and Jazz sports every day in two media types for that long. It would make me HATE those teams so bad, and it wouldn't take me 20 years to get there, either. If nothing else, I sense market fatigue from Monsen, PK, DJ, and even Checkets sometimes. They don't love what they're doing in the same way that Riley, Locke, Bolerjack, and even that BYU dude seem to. I mean, how many times can you rehash the rivalry, or Jazz mediocrity, or Whittingham coach speak, or Cougar fan eternal hype, and Ute fan shoe gazing? Not to mention that absolute desert of topics that happens around here from April to August. Man, this market needs an MLB team SO bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    If nothing else, I sense market fatigue from Monsen, PK, DJ, and even Checkets sometimes. They don't love what they're doing in the same way that Riley, Locke, Bolerjack, and even that BYU dude seem to. I mean, how many times can you rehash the rivalry, or Jazz mediocrity, or Whittingham coach speak, or Cougar fan eternal hype, and Ute fan shoe gazing? Not to mention that absolute desert of topics that happens around here from April to August. Man, this market needs an MLB team SO bad.
    Iklajsdklfjas
    I think this has a lot to do with it.

I also think a lot of the "staples" (all of 1280 mainly) have just gotten lazy. For so long, it was MWC and the Jazz were good. Utah and BYU would both get 10+ wins, the Jazz were always in the playoffs. Life wasn't that bad.

But now...Utah had two bad years, BYU hasn't been relevent since 2009, the Jazz haven't made the playoffs in forever. It's a bit of a drought.

BUT, there is still plenty to talk about. Watch PAC-12 spring ball games. You could easily break down position groups and then compare them to BYU and Utah over the summer. You have OL, DL, LB, CB, S, RB, QB, WR, TE.

That is 9 topics and 13 teams.

Break down individual schedules. Like, Stanford plays ASU before Utah but Utah has a bye. Normally, Stanford beats Utah, but the bye and the fact that it is in SLC, gives Utah a chance (like USC in 2016. Utah should never expect to beat USC. But last year, the scheduling gods did everything they could for Utah to win that game).

That is 13 more topics. Some of those (like Utah, BYU, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Washington) could take more than one segment.

Then, there is always summertime scandals, blah, blah, blah.

You get the point. There is a lot to talk about. Talk about LSU and Wisconsin and Mississippi St and Boise St.

They are just lazy.

What was her Britain Covey mistake? I must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I am not sure if people will ever be able to get past the Britain Covey thing with Rebecca, unfortunately. People still tweet at her about it. Which is funny because how many times has Monson said something even more dumb than that and no one brings it up every time he tweets. I would listen though, as I think she knows whats going on. 700 had Amy Donaldson host for a while, but I dont know how the ratings were.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    What was her Britain Covey mistake? I must have missed it.
    https://twitter.com/RCadeSports/stat...46757322604545

I dont think she realized what the fallout would be, and I honestly dont think she was trolling either. I think she was genuinely naive.

I used to like Monty in the Morning until they changed the guy who does the news updates. Haven't listened to 1320 since. Same for 1280. The news update guys are both terrible.

OC tweeted that a HUGE announcement is being made at 2. Rumor is it will be Tom Hackett joining him in the afternoon.

Well, who is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Well, who is it?

It is indeed Hackett.

Im interested to hear different perspectives, but it feels like they are just rearranging deck chairs. It feels like they have conceded drive time to teh zone and are just making sure they can beat out KFAN.

Tom is a nice guy, and I will give him a chance. Not sure who I expected, but I guess we will see.

It is indeed Hackett.

Im interested to hear different perspectives, but it feels like they are just rearranging deck chairs. It feels like they have conceded drive time to teh zone and are just making sure they can beat out KFAN.

Tom is a nice guy, and I will give him a chance. Not sure who I expected, but I guess we will see.
    We will see. He seems to have some raw talent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Hate to hear the news of @GuntherKFAN and @BenKFAN at @1320KFAN . Hope they find another spot in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Hate to hear the news of @GuntherKFAN and @BenKFAN at @1320KFAN . Hope they find another spot in the market.

When
    I first saw this on twitter, I went to 1320kfan.com and it looked like business as usual. One hour later, 1320kfan.com is now a redirect to the main Cumulus media site. Id say the plug has been pulled. Its a bummer to hear of anyone losing a job. Best of luck to those guys.

When
    I first saw this on twitter, I went to 1320kfan.com and it looked like business as usual. One hour later, 1320kfan.com is now a redirect to the main Cumulus media site. Id say the plug has been pulled. Its a bummer to hear of anyone losing a job. Best of luck to those guys.
    I did the same thing. Facebook and twitter accounts also gone.

Former producer Napoleon tweeted that station was doomed once Kevin graham left in 2013. New management couldn't find a buyer and no one could control Gunther.

Former producer Napoleon tweeted that station was doomed once Kevin graham left in 2013. New management couldn't find a buyer and no one could control Gunther.
    Driving home both 1320 and 1230 were off the air. Nothing but static.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wow.

--Yeats

What was 1230 before? I know a while back it was kfan2 and it was national stuff.

Dang, that is sad. That was my favorite station. I guess I am going to have to check out kall700 as I refuse to support 1280.

I listened to twenty minutes of the daily podcast from themontyshow about what happened at KFAN. It was mostly useless rambling, however there was some 'takeaways'

-Tim disagrees with the idea that SLC cant support three STR stations, simply because KFAN was the only one that he considered to actually talk sports.
    -Tim considers Kyle Gunther to be the best football analyst in the state.
    -In 2014, the station brought in more revenue than it ever had before.
    -Some meanie in management took all of this revenue and gave it to the 'music stations' because they were failing.
    -This left Monty with zero budget outside of salaries.
    -He admitted to being a jerk to everyone and being almost impossible to work with, but also mentioned how hard he worked and his only regret was not working harder.
    -He talked about how he didn't want to brag, but if he wanted a job in radio, he could get one again in no time.

Only parts of his story seem legitimate to me.

I listened to twenty minutes of the daily podcast from themontyshow about what happened at KFAN. It was mostly useless rambling, however there was some 'takeaways'

-Tim disagrees with the idea that SLC cant support three STR stations, simply because KFAN was the only one that he considered to actually talk sports.
    Actually none of them talk sports, it is pretty bad.

I was on a pendulum with Gunther, sometimes I found he was funny and other times just obnoxious. He is the B-52s of STR - fun in small doses.

Unfortunately it is 2017 and those dollars don't pay bills today.

-Some meanie in management took all of this revenue and gave it to the 'music stations' because they were failing.

Of course.

-He admitted to being a jerk to everyone and being almost impossible to work with, but also mentioned how hard he worked and his only regret was not working harder.
    Someone other meanie tanked the station but I am intolerable to work with. Perhaps we identified the problem.

-He talked about how he didn't want to brag, but if he wanted a job in radio, he could get one again in no time.

Monty was horrible the few times I listened to him. When someone makes your finger twitch on the seek button on your steering wheel it is a problem. I could last about 3 minutes with him before I had to change the channel. Sometimes guys (like Gunther) become an acquired taste. That never happened for me with Monty.

When he says Gunther is better than a guy like Hans Olson, my bullshit meter goes into overdrive.

If SLC can support 3 STR stations, it's only because the true 800-pound gorilla (BYU athletics) hasn't aligned itself with STR, and instead keeps its live events on news-talk KSL. 1320 closing shop doesn't do much to help Monty's theory.

Someone wanna refresh my memory on what live events 1320 aired? Wasn't it Weber State and high schools? There's money to be made in the latter, not so much in the former.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    When he says Gunther is better than a guy like Hans Olson, my bullshit meter goes into overdrive.

If SLC can support 3 STR stations, it's only because the true 800-pound gorilla (BYU athletics) hasn't aligned itself with STR, and instead keeps its live events on news-talk KSL. 1320 closing shop doesn't do much to help Monty's theory.

Someone wanna refresh my memory on what live events 1320 aired? Wasn't it Weber State and high schools? There's money to be made in the latter, not so much in the former.
    The only thing 1320 had was high school and the Grizzlies. They lost the grizzlies to ESPN 700 this year. Weber and Utah St are on the zone sports networks (AM or FM Depending on schedule). 1280 also has the bees. The ogden raptors are on the TuneIn app. So yeah, nothing of value.

The only thing 1320 had was high school and the Grizzlies. They lost the grizzlies to ESPN 700 this year. Weber and Utah St are on the zone sports networks (AM or FM Depending on schedule). 1280 also has the bees. The ogden raptors are on the TuneIn app. So yeah, nothing of value.
    Bees owned by Miller so they'll always be on 1280

Anybody else remember when 1280 was KNAK and 1320 was KCPX and they dominated rock and roll, later joined by KRSP?

Anybody else remember when 1280 was KNAK and 1320 was KCPX and they dominated rock and roll, later joined by KRSP?
    Bonus question: Who remembers the names Woolly Waldron, Skinny Johnny Mitchell, and Lynn Lehman?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Bonus question: Who remembers the names Woolly Waldron, Skinny Johnny Mitchell, and Lynn Lehman?

and Joe Lee