Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I dont know the ins and outs of a typical sports talk radio show, but do these guys not go over questions together? How does OC not point out that that is a dumb question.

And why is Tillman on again? What has changed since he talked to Bill last week? Very very strange.
    I have a good friend who is a talk radio show host. He is has a national show and "show prep" is a big part of his daily routine. He is always prepared. He always knows the questions he is going to ask. He always has a few follow-up questions he has thought through. He has always read the books he's asking people about in interviews. That's how pros do it. I think there is evidence of that professionalism in Bill Riley's show. There's no evidence of it in the O'Connell and Hackett show, which I can't stand to listen to.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I listened to the interview last night. Clown show. Hackett has a nice niche of an hour podcast once a week, focused on one thing: football. He was good because it was an independent venture and he didn't shy away from "telling it like it is." None of those things work well on a daily three hour radio show. I couldn't believe that his first question started with, "don't take this the wrong way by any means..." Idiot.

But clown show is kind of what they do there at 700. I was trying to use their mobile app and can't get any of the interviews to play, no matter how many times I hit the play button. Or I go to the website through Safari and can't scroll down far enough to find the interview I was looking for. Outside of playing live programming, their mobile app is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I figured out a workaround to the interviews problem. If you use the app to email the interview to yourself, then go to the link that shows up in your email, you'll be able to open the interview and listen to it. Ridiculous, but it works.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have a good friend who is a talk radio show host. He is has a national show and "show prep" is a big part of his daily routine. He is always prepared. He always knows the questions he is going to ask. He always has a few follow-up questions he has thought through. He has always read the books he's asking people about in interviews. That's how pros do it. I think there is evidence of that professionalism in Bill Riley's show. There's no evidence of it in the O'Connell and Hackett show, which I can't stand to listen to.
    Hugh hewitt?

Show prep is vitally important when you're solo. You have no one to bail you out.

With another co-host, show prep is much easier and takes much less time. My prep consisted of about 15-30 minutes with my co-host about what we were going to open with and current events we wanted to touch on. We would research our own talking points to bolster our views. Improv came naturally. We were both avid sports fans, well versed on a lot of sports and we could talk about anything. Having a guest or two per show certainly helped, and we always had a segment where we let the advertiser come on -- all of our shows were done via live remote.

We weren't Mike and Mike, but we were pros, and our show came off as such.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Show prep is vitally important when you're solo. You have no one to bail you out.

With another co-host, show prep is much easier and takes much less time. My prep consisted of about 15-30 minutes with my co-host about what we were going to open with and current events we wanted to touch on. We would research our own talking points to bolster our views. Improv came naturally. We were both avid sports fans, well versed on a lot of sports and we could talk about anything. Having a guest or two per show certainly helped, and we always had a segment where we let the advertiser come on -- all of our shows were done via live remote.

We weren't Mike and Mike, but we were pros, and our show came off as such.
    Yep. You're a journalist and know how that world works. (My wife is a recovering journalist too.)

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hugh hewitt?
    Yeah. One of the non-crazy conservative talk show hosts. You can actually learn things by listening to him.

--Yeats

Dick Harmon with an excellent piece on Dennis Pita and Aaron Hernandez. Despite starting at completely different points, and ending up at obvious different points, their lives took drastically different turns.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ent-turns.html

Dick Harmon with an excellent piece on Dennis Pita and Aaron Hernandez. Despite starting at completely different points, and ending up at obvious different points, their lives took drastically different turns.

The same is true of you and Aaron Hernandez (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The same is true of you and Aaron Hernandez (I hope)
    Even more so, as I never played tight end.

Who knew there was a BYU angle to the Hernandez story?

--Yeats

Who knew there was a BYU angle to the Hernandez story?
    poor Dick. One day, we're going to hear an APB put out on DH, that he missing and has wandered away from his home

I guess excellence is in the eye of the beholder. I'd be interested in the Pitta/Hall story though.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Just a heads up: If I can find the time, I am going to find some guy who graduated in 1982 from a more prestigious law school than I did and then had a terrible, tragic life; then I'm going to write a post here comparing and contrasting my wonderful, happy virtuous life with his dumpster fire. I just want you all to be ready.

--Yeats

Just a heads up: If I can find the time, I am going to find some guy who graduated in 1982 from a more prestigious law school than I did and then had a terrible, tragic life; then I'm going to write a post here comparing and contrasting my wonderful, happy virtuous life with his dumpster fire. I just want you all to be ready.

didn't you take classes with Ted Bundy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    What's Ted up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    He was a few years ahead of me, but his fame endured.

--Yeats

Sorry, LA, but I think you might be the one in the tragic lane.
    The owner of the Milwaukee Brewers graduated from Columbia Law in 1982.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Attanasio
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Not really local media, but ESPN reportedly laying off 100 people today, some prominent, some behind the scenes. I haven't watched any non live sports ESPN programming in quite some time.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next rounds of tv deal negotiations.

Not really local media, but ESPN reportedly laying off 100 people today, some prominent, some behind the scenes. I haven't watched any non live sports ESPN programming in quite some time.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next rounds of tv deal negotiations.
    The desire for sports content is massive. More massive than it's ever been. Yet, ESPN keeps downsizing and laying people off. Bad Company. They used to be about sports and providing sports to people like you and me. That was their goal and that is the only thing they cared about. Then, they got bought out by Disney and then management retired or were punted and they added some dipshit ivy league CEO from another industry who is more concerned about his reputation with his employees, political correctness and "culture" because this is just a stepping stone for his next move. I'm not convinced current management at ESPN even likes sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The desire for sports content is massive. More massive than it's ever been. Yet, ESPN keeps downsizing and laying people off. Bad Company. They used to be about sports and providing sports to people like you and me. That was their goal and that is the only thing they cared about. Then, they got bought out by Disney and then management retired or were punted and they added some dipshit ivy league CEO from another industry who is more concerned about his reputation with his employees, political correctness and "culture" because this is just a stepping stone for his next move. I'm not convinced current management at ESPN even likes sports.
    I feel for the writers. They've done a good job.

I'm not sure there's enough demand for such a supply, though. There are so many good journalists already. There are other easy ways to get sports news (twitter). Even if I wanted to, there's not enough time in the day to read all the college football articles being produced by ESPN, Fox, Yahoo, SI, CBSsports, etc, etc.

I don't think having more than a few college basketball writers really makes sense for ESPN.

Ed Werder already one of them. Confirmed via his Twitter account.

You haven't watched any 30 for 30s or OTL? Pardon the haughtiness, but you're a lesser sports fan if that's really the case (which I don't believe it is).

Among daily programming, only PTI and Around the Horn are worth watching. Actually, you could put Sarah Spain on a needlepoint show and I would watch it.

You haven't watched any 30 for 30s or OTL? Pardon the haughtiness, but you're a lesser sports fan if that's really the case (which I don't believe it is).

Among daily programming, only PTI and Around the Horn are worth watching. Actually, you could put Sarah Spain on a needlepoint show and I would watch it.
    Ive caught a handful of 30 for 30's. Really enjoyed all of them. Ive listened to OTL on the pod center. I will agree that ATH and PTI are solid shows, I even like Woody Paige.

The main staple of ESPN for so long has been 'SportsCenter' and now that I can get all the highlights on my phone, I have no need to sit through a 30 minute show hoping that my team gets a mention that night, especially now that SportsCenter is trying to be a social commentary show as well........no thanks!

You haven't watched any 30 for 30s or OTL? Pardon the haughtiness, but you're a lesser sports fan if that's really the case.
    I'm a lesser sports fan!

I spend way more than enough time watching actual sports. No way I can justify spending extra time watching documentaries about sports.

Ive caught a handful of 30 for 30's. Really enjoyed all of them. Ive listened to OTL on the pod center. I will agree that ATH and PTI are solid shows, I even like Woody Paige.

The main staple of ESPN for so long has been 'SportsCenter' and now that I can get all the highlights on my phone, I have no need to sit through a 30 minute show hoping that my team gets a mention that night, especially now that SportsCenter is trying to be a social commentary show as well........no thanks!
    SportsCenter is horrible, especially the morning version. You say you can get highlights on your phone, but I also like seeing them on my 60" HDTV (I just went John Haddow on all you bitches!). I watch the CBS Morning News instead. I'm terrified to see what SC6 is all about, but fortunately, I'm rarely near a TV when that show is on.

There was a time when the highest-rated SC wasn't its first airing -- it was a repeat sometime around 10 a.m. Eastern. SVP tries and replicates that, but nothing can touch the original.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm a lesser sports fan!

I spend way more than enough time watching actual sports. No way I can justify spending extra time watching documentaries about sports.
    Well, you weren't the one who issued an absolute statement that could easily be debunked.

All I can say is, you're missing out if you're not at least a selective viewer of 30 For 30.

A partial list of those who were fired. Lots of familiar names. I've read a lot of college football stuff from Brett McMurphy and Ted Miller.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cc05ef9250e1

Well, you weren't the one who issued an absolute statement that could easily be debunked.

All I can say is, you're missing out if you're not at least a selective viewer of 30 For 30.
    LOL. i dont think you really 'debunked' anything. I just said I haven't watched any non live sporting event in a while and I haven't......

Anyway, I have to admit that I have not tuned in to the new SC6. I did listen to a few episodes of the 'His and Hers' Podcast back when it was on and I got tired of the 'How can I take the stories of the day and turn it into a discussion about race?' approach. I probably will continue to avoid their show.

One we all know. Ted Miller just tweeted he has been let go.

And now Chantel Jennings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And now Chantel Jennings as well.

Bill Marcroft was awarded an honorary doctorate at SUU's commencement today. I guess he has done a lot for the Utah Summer Games down in Cedar City.
    He's getting up there in years but it was fun to see him in person (from a distance).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.