Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    and Joe Lee
    I'm not old enough to remember him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Bonus question: Who remembers the names Woolly Waldron, Skinny Johnny Mitchell, and Lynn Lehman?
    I grew up in Lynn Lehman's neighborhood. He still lives there I think.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

With all of this shuffling going on, I wonder what will happen with the Jim Rome show. I assume since he is with CBS and not Premiere anymore that no one will pick him up which is kind of strange.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    With all of this shuffling going on, I wonder what will happen with the Jim Rome show. I assume since he is with CBS and not Premiere anymore that no one will pick him up which is kind of strange.

I noticed driving to work yesterday that 1230 was back on the air, with national CBS sports radio. dont know if they carried Doug Gottlieb in the afternoon or jim rome midday.

I noticed driving to work yesterday that 1230 was back on the air, with national CBS sports radio. dont know if they carried Doug Gottlieb in the afternoon or jim rome midday.
    ah ok that makes sense. Our market is probably an afterthought but Im sure the folks at CBS aren't thrilled with this. IIRC, the reception for 1230 is awful even in town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRUZ_(AM)

Monty mentioned this in his rambling that apparently that 1230 am tower burned down and his bosses just decided to leave it off the air rather than fix it.

Here is more history of the KFNZ station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFNZ

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm not old enough to remember him.

yes you are. Joe was the baritone voice who did the news at the top of the hour, all the voice overs, and lots of ads. Also voice overs for channel 4. You would recognize his voice in an instant.

I worked in the news dept. at KCPX channel 4 for two summers during college, and the radio studios were downstairs. I got to know all those guys. I am trying to remember the dj who was Shelly Thomas's first husband, but cant. He had Van in the middle of it, but i draw a blank.

Weak Take City has always been good to Rome. Why wouldn't 1280 drop Jake and Tony and put Rome in that spot? Or could 700 pick up Rome on an hour delay from 11a-2p? What's currently on in that spot? (Never mind -- didn't realize Bill's show was on at that time.)

Anybody else remember when 1280 was KNAK and 1320 was KCPX and they dominated rock and roll, later joined by KRSP?
    Why yes I do. The battle of the records. I think "seasons in the sun" won the battle for like 3 months in 75 and yet that song truly sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Weak Take City has always been good to Rome. Why wouldn't 1280 drop Jake and Tony and put Rome in that spot? Or could 700 pick up Rome on an hour delay from 11a-2p? What's currently on in that spot? (Never mind -- didn't realize Bill's show was on at that time.)
    I think in a perfect world, one of those two would, but I am not sure that 700 (as an ESPN affiliate) or 1280 (as a fox sports radio affiliate, recently switched from NBC sports radio) can take a CBS sports radio show. It was easier when he was on Premier and he just went to the highest bidder. Not sure they can do that now. If his show ends up on 1230 for good, then the ratings will be hilariously low.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Why yes I do. The battle of the records. I think "seasons in the sun" won the battle for like 3 months in 75 and yet that song truly sucked.
    Oh my hell, I can't believe anybody remembers that. Me and my two brothers every night would listen to see which record won. I remember the long run by seasons in the sun, I also remember a longish run by Cherokee People. I am old!!

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Oh my hell, I can't believe anybody remembers that. Me and my two brothers every night would listen to see which record won. I remember the long run by seasons in the sun, I also remember a longish run by Cherokee People. I am old!!

Wow.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I was thinking about who 1280 might scoop up from 1320.

If they could find a producer with the personality to keep them wrangled, Gunther's wild man act combined with Hans's straight man act could be a duo right out of the Odd Couple. Plus, their combined football analysis would own college football around here.

It could be awesome, or it could be a train wreck. LOL

Swinney put his thoughts together.

http://www.scout.com/college/utah/st...ost-for-a-year

Also, it looks like 1430 KLO has picked up Rome. KLO is the home of some second and third tier right wing political shows.

Swinney put his thoughts together.

http://www.scout.com/college/utah/st...ost-for-a-year

Also, it looks like 1430 KLO has picked up Rome. KLO is the home of some second and third tier right wing political shows.
    I liked listening to Swinney a lot. He is right--he was informed and articulate. and provided a lot of info and insight re the U. Same with Ben Anderson on 1320. Clearly I am in the vast minority.

Tom Hackett and OC are impossible to listen to, so I dont try any more. It is now just a goofy clown show.

I liked listening to Swinney a lot. He is right--he was informed and articulate. and provided a lot of info and insight re the U. Same with Ben Anderson on 1320. Clearly I am in the vast minority.

Tom Hackett and OC are impossible to listen to, so I dont try any more. It is now just a goofy clown show.
    I thought that when OC and swinney were focused, they were ok. But I go back to that time where they came in from break and started talking about where they get their haircut and they just kept going and then finally they got around to bringing Scott Mitchell on (who had been on hold through this) and they started off by asking him where he likes to get his haircut. I might have just hung up. There was too much of that for me. I don't mind some off topic stuff, it makes it interesting but they really veered off the path too much for me.

Agreed on OC and hackett. I simply cant do it. Its bad radio. I dont expect it to last long.

I didn't like Ben Anderson on KFAN. But I have to admit that I have really enjoyed the few episodes of that NBA show that ESPN 700 does on thursday nights since KFAN went off the air. He has a really good basketball mind and expresses himself well. I hope he can find a landing spot where he doesn't have to keep someone in check like he had to do with Gunther. Hes kind of like Jake Scott on 1280. He is soooooo much better now with a guy like Tony Parks than he was when he had to put up with Monson.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    ...... I think "seasons in the sun" won the battle for like 3 months in 75 and yet that song truly sucked.
    Grrrrrr........
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Where's the love for Skip Ward and Stereo X? He was the king of FM!

This interview is getting some run on the old twitter machine.....Tom Hackett asks new Ute Donnie Tillman about the transfers and how he feels about it and then it gets REALLY awkward when hackett asks him how committed he is to the U. He then doesn't get any more air time. The other weird thing is that they asked him almost verbatim the exact same questions that Bill did last week.

Tom is new to this and I expect him to get better, but man he was really unprepared coming into this and it looked BAD.

https://espn700sports.com/interviews...etball-signee/

This interview is getting some run on the old twitter machine.....Tom Hackett asks new Ute Donnie Tillman about the transfers and how he feels about it and then it gets REALLY awkward when hackett asks him how committed he is to the U. He then doesn't get any more air time. The other weird thing is that they asked him almost verbatim the exact same questions that Bill did last week.

Tom is new to this and I expect him to get better, but man he was really unprepared coming into this and it looked BAD.

I was hopeful Tom would jump into this role and excel, because ex-players have viewpoints that many of us don't have.

But from what I'm reading about Tom's radio skills second-hand, it sounds like a disaster.

But from what I'm reading about Tom's radio skills second-hand, it sounds like a disaster.
    OC and Hackett are impossible to listen to.

I was hopeful Tom would jump into this role and excel, because ex-players have viewpoints that many of us don't have.

Tom is hilariously funny in small doses and when telling personal stories, but 3 hours a day is meh! Maybe he'll get better?

I don't listen to sports radio, but it sounds like Tommy needs to understand his role. He's a late night TV host - make the guests look good. Make them sound interesting. If you want to ask them hard questions, give them the questions in advance. The guests will be happy, the listeners will be happy. The boss will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't listen to sports radio, but it sounds like Tommy needs to understand his role. He's a late night TV host - make the guests look good. Make them sound interesting. If you want to ask them hard questions, give them the questions in advance. The guests will be happy, the listeners will be happy. The boss will be happy.
    Well the boss is Riley so we'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hackett has no standing upon which to ask tough questions. He never fielded them as a player, and I remember reading one report that he wasn't the most accommodating player out there anyway.

ESPN 700 is the HOTRU. It's not supposed to act as the 60 Minutes of Utah sports. Hackett has zero reporting/journalism experience and probably can't discern between the two. In any event, Tillman shouldn't be forced to field any tough questions before he's played in a game. And anyone who's deserving to field tough questions don't need to be softballed and given them in advance.

You forgot one key stakeholder that needs to be happy -- your advertisers. They rank ahead of all of the other groups you mentioned.

You forgot one key stakeholder that needs to be happy -- your advertisers. They rank ahead of all of the other groups you mentioned.
    True! I guess if the other groups are happy, the advertisers are as well.

OC and Hackett are impossible to listen to.
    It's a combination of mediocre talent with an unproven newbie of questionable talent. I don't know what the bosses at ESPN700 were thinking.

--Yeats

I listened to the interview last night. Clown show. Hackett has a nice niche of an hour podcast once a week, focused on one thing: football. He was good because it was an independent venture and he didn't shy away from "telling it like it is." None of those things work well on a daily three hour radio show. I couldn't believe that his first question started with, "don't take this the wrong way by any means..." Idiot.

But clown show is kind of what they do there at 700. I was trying to use their mobile app and can't get any of the interviews to play, no matter how many times I hit the play button. Or I go to the website through Safari and can't scroll down far enough to find the interview I was looking for. Outside of playing live programming, their mobile app is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Bill O'Reilly can testify.

I dont know the ins and outs of a typical sports talk radio show, but do these guys not go over questions together? How does OC not point out that that is a dumb question.

And why is Tillman on again? What has changed since he talked to Bill last week? Very very strange.