Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

The big announcement is coming up here in just a half hour or so. I fully expect bill to be enthusiastic on the outside but dying on the inside .

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The big announcement is coming up here in just a half hour or so. I fully expect bill to be enthusiastic on the outside but dying on the inside .
    Maybe Bill is getting fired too and it'll be Hackett all day, every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunther and Hackett starting Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Maybe Bill is getting fired too and it'll be Hackett all day, every day!

At this point, nothing would surprise me. I'm so far from an expert on radio but I'm so confused as to how anyone could think building a show around a guy who's favorite topics are cats, aliens, and farts would work. This is a guy who got suspended from 1280 for a week for sending threatening DMs from a personal account to a Twitter user. We learned this week that off the air he is a total and complete buffoon, getting booted from Pac 12 media days by his own PD.

What exactly does he bring to the table? Maybe he has had good ratings in the past I don't know.

At this point, nothing would surprise me. I'm so far from an expert on radio but I'm so confused as to how anyone could think building a show around a guy who's favorite topics are cats, aliens, and farts would work. This is a guy who got suspended from 1280 for a week for sending threatening DMs from a personal account to a Twitter user. We learned this week that off the air he is a total and complete buffoon, getting booted from Pac 12 media days by his own PD.

What exactly does he bring to the table? Maybe he has had good ratings in the past I don't know.
    And they're pairing him with someone much less qualified. It really is going to be a disaster. Assuming anyone is around to witness it. Aside from the whole Munther story, Swimney's podcast from earlier this week had some interesting tidbits on 700's revenue strategy. Seems like they opted for massive commercial breaks, upwards of 7 minutes at a time, and preferred to take money from more advertisers at the expense of building a stronger listenership and charging fewer advertisers more money.

I am one of the baffoons that love Gunther. I find him hilarious and am glad that he is back on the radio. I listened the next day on the podcast so I didn't have to hear commercials. I hope 700 does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am one of the baffoons that love Gunther. I find him hilarious and am glad that he is back on the radio. I listened the next day on the podcast so I didn't have to hear commercials. I hope 700 does the same thing.

Honestly, I don't stream enough Utah radio to have a strong opinion of Gunther but everything I've heard about him is that he's the goofy one. Knowing that, it seems like he needs a straight man to keep things from going off the rails. Hackett is not that guy. In fact, he may even be worse. I think the odds of this being Beavis and Butthead are infinitely greater than it becoming respectable radio. But, if that's what they're shooting for, more power to them.

Honestly, I don't stream enough Utah radio to have a strong opinion of Gunther but everything I've heard about him is that he's the goofy one. Knowing that, it seems like he needs a straight man to keep things from going off the rails. Hackett is not that guy. In fact, he may even be worse. I think the odds of this being Beavis and Butthead are infinitely greater than it becoming respectable radio. But, if that's what they're shooting for, more power to them.

Interesting discussion on this on twitter this afternoon. Most people would agree that a show has to have a balance of solid insight and entertainment to build an audience. In the time that I have listened to Gunther at 1280 and (admittedly very little on 1320), he gets by on trying to be funny, which is either hit or miss depending on the person and as for insights and analysis he would often go to 'well, ive been in the huddle therefore i know it all.' Very, very thin skinned and sensitive to anyone who questions his authority on any subject (seriously, tweet at him in disagreement of his takes, you will almost assuredly be blocked no matter how friendly you are.)

You mentioned in an earlier post that 700 seems to be trying to get as many advertisers on board as possible and get as much money by having long commercial breaks instead of building the audience and charging a premium for a lower number of advertisers. I dont know the ins and outs but that sure says to me that they have no interest in competing with 1280 and are playing a very short term game. In that case, they have made terrific hires as I cant imagine either host commanding much of a salary, and I am confident both will put in a corresponding amount of prep work each day. When advertisers catch on to this and drop out, Gunther and Hackett will be on their way and the next hosts will be in.

Reading facebook comments will never give a true gauge of how the population feels but good grief, this new pairing is getting lit up and blasted left and right on the ESPN 700 page.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 06-02-2017 at 02:50 PM.

9 million people and how many teams to cover? Nine professional and two major colleges?

Yep. Lots to talk about, and lots of people who care enough to listen.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I agree that Gunther needs a straight man. That is why Ben Anderson worked so well with him, in my opinion. I think these two will do well during football season but will struggle in the off season.

There is definitely a group of people that don't like Gunther, but the more you look at it, it seems to be the same 10 people over and over and over again.

And it seems to be the same people that are on Swinney's pay site.

I guess we will find out quick if this is a cash grab or if Swinney wasn't as good as everyone says he was.

I have a strong feeling that Gunther will do just fine and most complaining about him don't actually listen to ESPN 700 between 2-6.

I tuned in to the beginning of the show today. I lasted five minutes when they started complementing each other on their looks.

But I did hear that it got better and they had a lot of Ute football talk.

I tuned in to the beginning of the show today. I lasted five minutes when they started complementing each other on their looks.

But I did hear that it got better and they had a lot of Ute football talk.
    i tuned in as well, not horrible. I can see where large doses of Gunther would get annoying, but today was much better than I anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    i tuned in as well, not horrible. I can see where large doses of Gunther would get annoying, but today was much better than I anticipated.
    As I was reading the feedback of some folks, I realized I've been looking at this whole thing wrong.

As a fan of ESPN 700 for years, I've been cheering for them to compete well with 1280. I've hoped for local shows that can spend a lot of time on utah, not much on our friends to the south, and at the same time be able to have a competent discussion about the Jazz (I'm a basketball first guy).

Its become clear that 1280 won't be caught (although bill holds his own against Jake and tony and hans and Scotty g). So instead of that, they are opting to fill a need with a Ute and Pac 12 football heavy show. It won't ever threaten the big show in the ratings but if done well it could be successful in its own right.

Its not for me, I need a bit more variety but I do see the reasons behind the hire a little better now.

Strange tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Strange tweet.

Weird. What the heck is going on in Utah Radio?

If you go a bit further back, he is talking about hosting with Hans Olsen this week.

I have been enjoying Swinney's podcast "Utecast". He sounds like he is recording it in his bathroom but I love the Utah focus and he just had a good interview with coach Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I have been enjoying Swinney's podcast "Utecast". He sounds like he is recording it in his bathroom but I love the Utah focus and he just had a good interview with coach Taylor.
    Thanks for the tip. I've downloaded it and will check it out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

SL Trib doing to Utah fans like they do. Kyle Goon is out.

I thought he did alright. Not sure why he's getting demoted.

I'm sure the next beat reporter will be just fine. The job seems less important every year. Goon was just one more Utah follow on Twitter for me, and he wasn't much more/less insightful than the other follows.

Let me beat everyone to the punch and congratulate Lynn and Chris on their inevitable promotion to the Jazz beat in 2-3 years.

I hate that Utah athletics has this perception as a stepping-stone beat at the Trib.

I have never heard of Lynn. Chris has been on the RSL beat, so I have never read a word he was written at the trib. He was a beat writer at the Daily Utah Comical a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Let me beat everyone to the punch and congratulate Lynn and Chris on their inevitable promotion to the Jazz beat in 2-3 years.

I hate that Utah athletics has this perception as a stepping-stone beat at the Trib.
    They seem to have a progression

They hire new reporters in sports and stick them at USU. They then move them to the U when they raid the U for the Jazz spots.

Lynn has been on the USU beat, as was Tony Jones. So I'm sure you're right, Lynn will move on 'up' and we'll get whoever is at USU.

Announced today that ESPN 700 will remain the home of the Utes for a while.

I remember when 'espn 700' was KALL 910. Many great memories of Bill 'check it!' Marcroft.

I had a fun exchange with Gunther on twitter recently.

I flipped over to their show when 1280 was doing their daily 'Not Sports Report'. Gunther was just starting a rant about the Jazz in the post Gordon Hayward era. In all the years I have listened to STR here in Utah, and among all the hosts that have come through, I truly do not know if I have ever heard a less informed rant.

Paraphrasing his rant, my comments in parentheses.

"Think about this Jazz fans. Your team is building around Rudy Gobert, and that is just not smart (You mean the first guy the Jazz have had to be named All-NBA in 7 years? The guy who led the league in blocks and nearly led in rebounds? The guy who statistically protects the rim better than anyone else on the planet? The guy who loves to defend the pick and roll and excels in it on teh offensive end? The guy who just turned 25 and is signed to a long term deal? Yep! Horrible idea building around him!).

Look at the warriors! Look at the cavs! The best teams in the league are going small, and your team is going big (This is the closest he came to a decent point. However, it still has a lot of flaws. He acts as though Steph Currys, Draymond Greens and Lebron James just grow on trees. He also ignores the small sample size of small ball and how the game has constantly changed in its history.)

Here is another thing to think about. Look at George Hill. He had a 4-year offer from the Jazz for 80-90 million dollars and a 3-year deal with the Sacramento Kings for 57 million and he took the offer from the Kings! The Sacramento Kings are the most poorly run professional sports franchise and a guy took less money to play there over staying with the Jazz! If I am a Jazz fan, I am terrified right now!"

This was so brain bankrupt that I just had to tweet in (I know, I should have just flipped the dial.........).

I pointed out the numerous flaws in that last paragraph (The Jazz had made that offer as an extension during the season. Hill declined, because he wanted to take a look at all his options. Before free agency started, the Jazz had the opportunity to get Ricky Rubio in a salary dump for very little. When free agency hit, the market for point guards was not a good one and so Hill took the best offer out there, 3 years and 57 million (only 40 of that being guaranteed) with the Kings. At no point in time did he have an offer sheet from the Jazz and one from the Kings that he was deciding between. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off. The Jazz got a point guard who projects to be better and more valuable over the next five years.) I also added that he likely knew all of this and was misleading his listeners to stir the pot a little.

He responded by thanking me for listening to the show (Sarcastically), told me I was mistaken, and linking to an article from March that talked about the Jazz' offer to Hill, which was actually right in line with what I said. I then laughed and reiterated everything above. He promptly deleted his tweets to me.

I know this has nothing to do with the Utes. As folks have pointed out here and on twitter, its amazing that ESPN 700 was completely unable to cover the biggest story in local sports this year because of the two guys behind the mic in the afternoon. But hey, cat jokes, amirte?

When 700 gave that show to Gunther and Hackett they essentially said that the only thing that matters to them/their audience is college football. They are woefully unqualified to talk anything else (maybe NFL, but that's never really a big topic in this market).

I used to occasionally listen to Ben and Gunther, usually during brief moments where there were no other options. Ben knows the Jazz/NBA fairly well--I actually think he has some ability and could be a good host in the right situation. Ben would make some valid points about something and Gunther would always jump in and steer the conversation back to something very basic ("Al Jefferson is bad at defense!") or he'd show that he was incredibly out of his element.

Anyway, I haven't listened to more than about two minutes of Hackett and Gunther and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. I'm sure at some point I'll be hungry enough for college football that I'll tune in for a bit here and there. The only problem is that I don't trust these two in their Utes coverage all that much either. Their wheelhouse is telling stories from their playing days or giving an inside look at how Utah runs it's program (what it's like in film sessions, what it's like on road trips, etc). Once you get past that I have never found either of them all that informative on the current state of Utah football.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Their wheelhouse is telling stories from their playing days or giving an inside look at how Utah runs it's program (what it's like in film sessions, what it's like on road trips, etc). Once you get past that I have never found either of them all that informative on the current state of Utah football.
    I'm having a hard time thinking of any former Utah player who can both lay it straight about the program, be informative and entertaining and have enough rah-rah in them to know they have their chops as a fan, but aren't Pollyannas. I don't know exactly what this is an indictment of, but when the best analyst on Utah football in recent memory is a former BYU player (Hans Olsen), it makes you wonder just exactly what resides above the neck in our former players. Or whether they care enough about the program after graduation to pursue such a career track. Because from what I gather from many of you, the bar isn't being set very high.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm having a hard time thinking of any former Utah player who can both lay it straight about the program, be informative and entertaining and have enough rah-rah in them to know they have their chops as a fan, but aren't Pollyannas. I don't know exactly what this is an indictment of, but when the best analyst on Utah football in recent memory is a former BYU player (Hans Olsen), it makes you wonder just exactly what resides above the neck in our former players. Or whether they care enough about the program after graduation to pursue such a career track. Because from what I gather from many of you, the bar isn't being set very high.
    Christian Cox does a great job of all of those things on KSL TV on sunday nights. But that is with video in a 10 minute segment. He does a good job on pre and post game shows on 1280 too.

I think Hans has done so well for himself because he has a) really tried to be objective and fair in his analysis of football, regardless of team and b) he has worked hard to understand basketball. I dont think he is ever going to blow anyone away with his basketball takes, but he is competent.

Gunther just spouts off wildly. He claimed to be the only one in the market to have real insight into Kilani when BYU was hiring. He told everyone that Kilani had not been contacted and anyone who said otherwise was lying etc etc.....even on the night before Kilani was hired. I am not convinced that he is even well connected with the Utah program anymore.

MrSports,
    Totally agree with you on Hans Olsen - he's become amazingly good on NBA opinions and demonstrates the work that should be put into sports talk radio if you consider yourself a professional. I also love the unique things he does to be entertaining on air and also encourage geek fans to get even more content. Last season I checked out some of his video breakdowns of Utah linemen and other players that 1280 posted - great stuff.

Just a note on George Hill. I never heard or read the 80 to 90 million number you threw out above - and it was never offered in actual free agency. My understanding was the Jazz were willing to go four years for $60 to $65 million. This was offered to George Hill during the season. The feeling within the Jazz was that George was leaning to accept the offer but his agent persuaded him to go into free agency instead. I'm not sure you're aware of this but Hill fired his agent shortly after the season ended. Spencer Checketts is of the opinion that he fired him because even before free agency began Hill could read the tea leaves that he'd made a bad decision.