Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

1320 launched a new local morning show this morning as Tim Montemayor, of the afternoon Monty and Gunther show, moved to mornings.

I listened to a little bit of it on my way in this morning, and I think it has promise.

PK's pot stirring schtick gets wearing at times, so it is nice to hear someone who will discuss the issues from an objective perspective.

My theory is that sports writers are now mostly judged on the number of hits an article can generate. If you can incorporate Coack K and Bronco in a single article you can inevitably generate more hits than if you just focus on one fan base or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    1320 launched a new local morning show this morning as Tim Montemayor, of the afternoon Monty and Gunther show, moved to mornings.

I listened to a little bit of it on my way in this morning, and I think it has promise.

PK's pot stirring schtick gets wearing at times, so it is nice to hear someone who will discuss the issues from an objective perspective.
    How many times did Monty troll about firing Kyle Whittingham in the time you listened? Eight? Twelve?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    How many times did Monty troll about firing Kyle Whittingham in the time you listened? Eight? Twelve?

I listened for a couple of minutes on my way to work. It was all BYU spring ball all the time, so he didnt mention Wittingham once. I had enjoyed flipping between Dan Patrick and John Feinstein in the morning; couldnt tell if they are keeping Feinstein on 1230; hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Lol. I didn't hear any particular calls in the segment I listened to, but your point is valid.

There are three shows I still listen to occasionally: Bill and Hans, Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick. Gunther and Graham used to be on that list, but once Monty came on and went full blown zoob, I was done. With podcasts now-a-days, I don't think I'll ever go back.

He was nothing more than stirring the pot, right out the PK mold. Say anything to get people to call/text/tweet in. I guess if you like that type of schtick...

Sounds like Tony Jones, the Utah beat writer for the Trib got "promoted" to be the Jazz beat writer starting next season. Don't worry though, we still get Lya.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sounds like Tony Jones, the Utah beat writer for the Trib got "promoted" to be the Jazz beat writer starting next season. Don't worry though, we still get Lya.
    Actually we don't, other than for gymnastics. Lya is being moved to USU football. Kyle Goon is coming to the U along with another writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Too bad. Tony has done a good job and seems to work pretty hard.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Too bad. Tony has done a good job and seems to work pretty hard.
    Tony has done a good job. I have followed Goon's reporting on the Aggies and he seems to be on the ball

I begin my tale with this story by Brad Rock, comparing Kodiak's statement that Utah plans to win the PAC-12 tournament to Bronco Mendenhall's statement that BYU planned to win a national championship.

Brad Rock: Whether it's Utah's Larry Krystkowiak or BYU's Bronco Mendenhall, thinking big is OK

It was late at night, and I was in a snarky mood, so I submitted this comment:

To my surprise, I received this email the next morning:

Dear ****,

I really can't tell which of the 12 standards I violated. Any ideas? Anyway, I took a breath and submitted a much more milquetoast version:

This comment was accepted. Rock's article was still a weird mash of ideas the like of which I doubt I'd see in any other sports media market.
    Stuff like this absolutely kills me. The Deseret News loves to boast about how they use moderators so that their comment section can be a place for a positive discussion. having been a fan of comment sections, I can tell you that I have yet to find a bigger cesspool of trolls than the Deseret News. And it is exactly what you mentioned. Comments that are benign are denied with no explanation. Comments that even a third grader could tell are blatantly inflammatory are posted and remain despite being reported.

Speaking of Monty on 1320, I had an interesting interaction with him on twitter. To summarize:

Me: Why are Ute fans arguing with Monty? This guy is so delusional, he believes KFAN has the top rated afternoon drive time show.
    Monthy (to me): You obviously have no idea what youre talking about! Youre ignorant! We are #1!
    Me: (to monty): So arbitron is wrong?
    Monty: *crickets*

In fact, arbitron shows that KFAN has about half the audience of the zone. and also less than ESPN 700.

If you go through Monty's time line on twitter, its pretty obvious that he is an antics guy who is all about sensationalizing things to drive ratings. No thanks. I'll stick to guys with an established audience who talk sports and give real opinion, not slobbering lunatics who are trying anything to get an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Speaking of Monty on 1320, I had an interesting interaction with him on twitter. To summarize:

Me: Why are Ute fans arguing with Monty? This guy is so delusional, he believes KFAN has the top rated afternoon drive time show.
    Monthy (to me): You obviously have no idea what youre talking about! Youre ignorant! We are #1!
    Me: (to monty): So arbitron is wrong?
    Monty: *crickets*

In fact, arbitron shows that KFAN has about half the audience of the zone. and also less than ESPN 700.

If you go through Monty's time line on twitter, its pretty obvious that he is an antics guy who is all about sensationalizing things to drive ratings. No thanks. I'll stick to guys with an established audience who talk sports and give real opinion, not slobbering lunatics who are trying anything to get an audience.
    Unless you actually subscribe to Arbitron, the numbers you see online are for one ratings survey, and while it tells part of the story, it doesn't tell the entire story. Stations have to pay thousands of dollars annually for access to the entire batch of data, and Monty's not going to share whatever numbers he has with the general public.

You can say what you want about Monty's show or style -- I've never listened and only give him cursory attention on Twitter. However, I'd stay away from getting into industry arguments with him, or any other radio professional.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Unless you actually subscribe to Arbitron, the numbers you see online are for one ratings survey, and while it tells part of the story, it doesn't tell the entire story. Stations have to pay thousands of dollars annually for access to the entire batch of data, and Monty's not going to share whatever numbers he has with the general public.

You can say what you want about Monty's show or style -- I've never listened and only give him cursory attention on Twitter. However, I'd stay away from getting into industry arguments with him, or any other radio professional.
    I get that. At the same time, I have asked radio professionals for the numbers and was told that I could approach them at a remote event and they would show me anything I wanted. I did just that and Montys claim is simply not true, or close to it.

I get that. At the same time, I have asked radio professionals for the numbers and was told that I could approach them at a remote event and they would show me anything I wanted. I did just that and Montys claim is simply not true, or close to it.
    In reality, it is shocking how little of advertising is true these days. Business these days has morphed into: "Say and do anything to screw as many people out of as many cents as you can, then either sell or bankrupt out when they call you out on it, laughing all the way to the bank."

It's really pathetic. I used to be BIG time right wing guy, but seeing how in business it has become 100% okay to throw all ethics out the window, I know we need regulation, big time. It's too bad.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread. My point is don't believe what the tv/radio tell you. Most of the time it is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    My point is don't believe what the tv/radio tell you. Most of the time it is a stretch.
    Damn. I wish you would have told me this before I converted all my liquid assets to gold this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Damn. I wish you would have told me this before I converted all my liquid assets to gold this past week.
    lol. Sorry. So, you are telling me that Glenn Beck, savior of America, sold you something that wasn't quite upfront and honest? ha ha.

Not local, but still media related... the SVP and Russillo show on ESPN 3 (or whatever it is) had a Ute football helmet front and center today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Not local, but still media related... the SVP and Russillo show on ESPN 3 (or whatever it is) had a Ute football helmet front and center today.
    They have tweeted out all their "new" helmets the past week or so. The Ute helmet with the black facemask has been in every single one.

Well, I certainly cannot speak for every radio professional, but if I'm the GM or sales manager at a group of radio stations and I have my employees showing Arbitron numbers to anyone but advertisers, I gotta find out what justification they had for doing so. Off the cuff, I can't think of one.

Color me impressed. Last couple weeks been turning on 1320 in the morning, and in the afternoon, and it is all about Utah Spring Ball. I think the Ute Sports report is helping them out. Granted they bring on the occasional zoob story, but it has dramatically improved. Plus one can pick an choose from their audio archive. http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...2601&f=2650003

Well, it has been a couple of months now into the new local shows.

-In my car, my radio antenna is busted and I can only get stations on the fm dial. When I am driving around at lunch, I now only have "Hans and Scotty G" instead of "Jake and Tony". Hans and Scotty G is basically "can't listen" radio to me. If Scotty G isn't rattling off cliche after cliche, he is trying to be funny and failing, or is he trying to take away from the one good thing about his show by trying to clown around with Hans during football talk.

-Bill and OC is ok. Its better than Bill & Hans, but its not Bill and Spence.

The last 2 days Riley and OC have been talking BYU football more than Utah football. Boring. Yesterday more than half of a Reese Davis interview was about BYU, as Reese promoted Thursday's game. If I want that stuff I can go to the DNews.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The last 2 days Riley and OC have been talking BYU football more than Utah football. Boring. Yesterday more than half of a Reese Davis interview was about BYU, as Reese promoted Thursday's game. If I want that stuff I can go to the DNews.
    The thing that has disappointed me the last couple of days is that they have gone with the lazy "do you miss the rivalry game? tweet your thoughts here!" approach. At this point, that is a dead horse. Some miss it. Some don't. Rivalry week means a big bump for the local STR folks, and so of course they want it (they also blatantly misrepresent how much outrage there is over it not being played).

If I want to listen to a show where the host just mails it in on topics like that, Ill turn the dial to Monson, who hasn't put any serious thought into his show in a decade.

You all realize that the best way to get change is to quit listening to the garbage right?

They're doing exactly what they want. They get you to listen and talk about it here and elsewhere. Mission accomplished for them.

The only time I listen to sports radio. The post game show.

I listened to sports talk radio non-stop in my car for years. A month ago, I got a new car and can now stream music through my phone. Haven't listed to talk radio since (except post-game, like Diehard) and don't miss it an iota.

700 is the HOTRU. But as an ESPN Radio affiliate, they are casting a wider net with their audience. People need to get over this. 700 is on the hook for part of Kyle's salary, and it needs to crush the STR competition in ratings, ad sales and revenue. 700 ain't gonna do that by reducing its audience to appease the most diehard of Ute fans.

As long as BYU does not carry affiliation with a single STR station, it's going to always be like this. Treat it like the rain in China ... and just let it rain.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I listened to sports talk radio non-stop in my car for years. A month ago, I got a new car and can now stream music through my phone. Haven't listed to talk radio since (except post-game, like Diehard) and don't miss it an iota.
    I have the ability to stream music from my phone or just plug my iPod in to a USB port. I can also have Sirius if I wish (and my fiancé has pandora built into her car). There's just no reason to listen to the talking heads, I have over 4,000 songs on my iPod....they're all better than talk radio, and they all do exactly what I want.

With Utah having a BYE this week, it is all BYU. I am sure the Utah talk will ramp up next week against Michigan. The only way the BYU talk will match it is if the BYU/UH score is lopsided one way or another ("Taysum for Heisman!" or "Meltdown city!").

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You all realize that the best way to get change is to quit listening to the garbage right?

They're doing exactly what they want. They get you to listen and talk about it here and elsewhere. Mission accomplished for them.

The only time I listen to sports radio. The post game show.
    There is enough Utah talk to keep my interest. I rotate the stations, and if there is no Utah talk, listen to the iPod for a while. After 5 minutes, I try again.