Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Local Media?

Just to be clear, I listen to ESPN700 podcasts the day after the show is broadcast live. The rest of SLC sports talk is a menagerie of minor league talent and I won't listen to it. When I want to fast forward on a podcast I press a button and can skip 15 seconds of audio. I was pressing the button a lot yesterday. It was all Taysom Hill, Ray Rice, and "do you want the rivalry game back?" For almost 2 hours! I was just irritated because I expect more from those guys. Bulletin to Bill and OC: The rivalry game will be back in 2016, and no sooner; no amount of talking about it now will change that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just to be clear, I listen to ESPN700 podcasts the day after the show is broadcast live. The rest of SLC sports talk is a menagerie of minor league talent and I won't listen to it. When I want to fast forward on a podcast I press a button and can skip 15 seconds of audio. I was pressing the button a lot yesterday. It was all Taysom Hill, Ray Rice, and "do you want the rivalry game back?" For almost 2 hours! I was just irritated because I expect more from those guys. Bulletin to Bill and OC: The rivalry game will be back in 2016, and no sooner; no amount of talking about it now will change that.
    This is what I do as well between Riley and Gunther I get all I need and can easily skip BYU talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You all realize that the best way to get change is to quit listening to the garbage right?
    Maybe with 700. I get the feeling 1280 and 1320 don't really care whether Ute fans listen or not.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Maybe with 700. I get the feeling 1280 and 1320 don't really care whether Ute fans listen or not.
    They care about numbers. If people stop listening they'll care.

Agreed. But I think that they know how far they can push the Ute envelope (further than the BYU envelope) to get a reaction but not drive people away. I think they push the Ute envelope further because it is a smaller demo.

For the time being, at least, it appears that they believe there are enough BYU fans to provide them the numbers they need.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Agreed. But I think that they know how far they can push the Ute envelope (further than the BYU envelope) to get a reaction but not drive people away. I think they push the Ute envelope further because it is a smaller demo.
    Or they just know people will keep listening and gripe so they don't care

Or they just know people will keep listening and gripe so they don't care
    thats what i am saying......

thats what i am saying......
    And that's my point. As long as people keep listening even when they don't like it, nothing will change.

It's like people saying attending pro sports is too expensive while they wait in line for tickets

Something I posted a few weeks ago at UF.N:

I have been saying for the last few years that, due to Utah's move to the Pac-12, we are in the midst of a sea change. This change is inevitable, but many members of the local media will have to be dragged kicking and screaming along the way.

In 2013 we could see that Utah had overtaken BYU in the local sports hierarchy, second only to the Jazz. However, 2014 has been about a BYU push-back, thus confirming the fact that many in the local media will have to be dragged kicking and screaming. Utah missing out on a bowl for the second year in a row has made this push-back possible, combine that with the local media blaming Utah for the two-year hiatus in the rivalry.

At the same time, members of the local media have acknowledged the separation between Utah and BYU regarding the size, athleticism and speed of the former as it acclimates to the Pac-12. In past years, Utah's lack of size, athleticism and speed as compared to the rest of the Pac-12 has been plainly evident on game days, but this year, in camp at least, some key Utah newcomers have led more than a few local media members to sit up and take notice.

Though there are still a few areas of concern, Utah appears to have finally gained some Pac-12 depth. If that depth and the improvement in size, athleticism and speed lead to improved results on the field -- and as long as Utah doesn't hit the panic button and fire Whit only to end up with a football version of Giacoletti or Boylen -- The separation between Utah and BYU can only widen. Add the fallout from whatever new rules the P5 conferences make, and the sea change becomes unstoppable.

I am curious what sports talk radio shows are "good" shows? Are there any examples that can be cited? I tune in for occasional entertainment. I am not expecting anything more than to laugh or yell at the radio. But, then again, I also like ketchup so maybe I am a low-brow sort of guy??

The last 2 days Riley and OC have been talking BYU football more than Utah football. Boring. Yesterday more than half of a Reese Davis interview was about BYU, as Reese promoted Thursday's game. If I want that stuff I can go to the DNews.
    I'm guessing that one of the conditions of getting Reese on the game was allowing him to promote Thursday's game - since he'll be there. He also mentioned having called a game or 2 at RES and enjoying it.

Just to lend a different perspective to the radio show discussion:

I tend to agree that more than anything, what they want is people calling and talking about them. And sometimes their discussion is geared to do just that. With some of the personalities, it is obvious that they have a bias or preference for one team or another. And that's OK. Some are even able to appear somewhat objective in spite of their bias. For example, I think Gunther does this very well. I think Hans is OK at it, and Spence does OK most of the time too.

In reality, PK is probably pretty neutral, but enjoys tweeking audiences - so he goes back and forth. I don't know how DJ feels about Utah, but at times there is a sense of dislike for BYU due to his SDSU loyalties and longtime WAC/MWC beat downs with a semi-rivalry (from SDSU's point at least) there. DJ and PK are both horrible alone when the other is on vacation. But they can be very good together when they stay on topic. Unfortunately PK attempts to be funny at times and obsesses on one thing or another making them unlistenable at times.

I think Monty is still trying to figure things out. He has taken turns upsetting both Utah and BYU audiences, but he usually seems somewhat objective and has good and bad to say about both BYU and Utah. Scotty is just a moron and not worth listening to.

Bill and OC have a definite Utah bias - but they should. They are the utes flagship. I appreciate that in my view they "often" are able to demonstrate some objectivity about BYU.

I sense some dismay from some folks here about the early talk being more about BYU with Utah getting less pub. Let's be real here - the early season is when BYU has their best games...while Utah has their worst. What is more interesting - Utah versus Idaho St. or BYU versus UConn? Utah versus a poor Fresno or BYU versus Texas. Sure, Texas isn't at it's height right now, but it is still more interesting than a bad Fresno team.

I suspect that as we get further into the season - beginning next week when the U travels to Michigan - we'll begin hearing more and more about Utah and less and ultimately less about BYU. Or at least a little more balanced. We'll still here about BYU when they go up against BSU and UCF - or as long as they stay undefeated there will be some talk about that. But the talk about Utah will ramp up when their competition does.

I think we all agree that Utah doesn't have a great radio media market. There is the potential for some great shows, if they would get the right people together. Get Spence with someone other than Monson. Get Gunther a new co-host too. I'd love to see what DJ could do with someone who didn't think he was auditioning to be a comedian 75% of the time.

As it is - like many of you I have few loyalties and jump stations back and forth depending on who is on and what they are saying.

Just out of curiousity - what are your thoughts on Blaine Fowler when he guests on Bill and OC's show? I know he is a BYU homer - but he doesn't hide that and I tend to view him as attempting to be somewhat objective for the most part. I know with BYU fans there is a mix of people who like him and many who hate him from the The Mtn days. So I'm curious how he is viewed by U fans.

Finally - the main reason I jumped here - was anyone listening to DJ and PK this morning when they ran that clip from DJ's interview with KWhitt? At the end of the interview, DJ asked KW what he thought of BYU being undefeated at this point in the season. Then quickly cut himself off and said "Oh, sorry, we're out of time. I guess you can't answer that question." In the background you just hear KW clearing his throat (or preparing to tear out DJ's...one or the other.)

He thought it was pretty funny. And I guess if you are friends with him maybe it could've been depending on the context. Seemed pretty dumb to me. Maybe something you do with the mic off (again, if you're friends) just to get a reaction and laugh with him. But to record it and play it on the radio...dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Just out of curiousity - what are your thoughts on Blaine Fowler when he guests on Bill and OC's show? I know he is a BYU homer - but he doesn't hide that and I tend to view him as attempting to be somewhat objective for the most part. I know with BYU fans there is a mix of people who like him and many who hate him from the The Mtn days. So I'm curious how he is viewed by U fans.
    I actually like him. He tends to gush a bit -- about everyone he's discussing, whether BYU, Utah, or someone else (yesterday he gushed about Bradley Van Pelt, and the Taysom gushing was getting to be just too much). But he has interesting insights, IMO.

I only listen to podcasts of Utah sports talk radio to hear about the Utes, so I focus on KALL/ESPN700. I can get Whitt's coach's show and the best interviews there, from people whose job it is to cover the Utes closely, do the games, etc. I get impatient when two full hours on KALL are almost 100% devoted to BYU or Ray Rice. But that's OK, I just skip that stuff. So I can't comment on the other guys you mention. I liked Hans but not enough to seek him out mid-day. I listen to sports talk in L.A. when I am driving, and it is vastly superior (except for the USC homers, who make Greg Wrubell look almost normal). Maybe that's because it's a bigger market here and the stations can pay the talent more.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Maybe that's because it's a bigger market here and the stations can pay the talent more.
    They also have more pro sports teams, there's a lot more to discuss. Reality is in Salt Lake there just isn't enough to go around all the stations given the sports teams present.

I prefer the X's and O's mixed in with some goofiness, so I really like Gunther. Like myself, he is probably an "acquired taste". Hans is a bit too dry for me.

I know this thread is more about the local personalities, but there have been a few regular interviews that I've heard that I really like. Up at the top of the list is Yogi Roth. He is a big time X's and O's guy and has had some great insight the few times I've heard him this year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I prefer the X's and O's mixed in with some goofiness, so I really like Gunther. Like myself, he is probably an "acquired taste". Hans is a bit too dry for me.I know this thread is more about the local personalities, but there have been a few regular interviews that I've heard that I really like. Up at the top of the list is Yogi Roth. He is a big time X's and O's guy and has had some great insight the few times I've heard him this year so far.

I agree. I always look for Yogi on the podcasts.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-11-2014 at 02:33 PM.

--Yeats

I agree. I always look for Yogi on the podcasts.
    How do you know when he's on? I see the Gunther podcasts download, but I've never listened to one. I only catch the ute hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    How do you know when he's on? I see the Gunther podcasts download, but I've never listened to one. I only catch the ute hours.
    I check 1280 and espn 700 websites. They list the clips by guest.

Bump.

ESPN 700 is trying something new.

Apparently, Keith Stubbs has decided to quit radio and pursue other interests. For now, ESPN 700 is going with a show called "The Bullpen" where a host will take one day a week and run with it from 11-1 each day.

Yesterday, it was Amy Donaldson and Jody Genessey. Today it has been Jeremiah Jensen. So far, so good.

Also, ESPN 700 is now available on the fm dial, although I never hear them promote this. They are on 107.1, which I can pick up in town much better than 700 AM.

How bad does a radio gig pay in Utah? We've had so many guys do it for six months then just walk away. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    How bad does a radio gig pay in Utah? We've had so many guys do it for six months then just walk away. Yikes.
    SLC has three STR stations and it's a niche format. The ad dollars are diluted and most people who are on air also have to sell air time to keep their jobs. In some instances, the talent will buy the air time and sell the ad inventory available by himself.

So to answer your question, not much, if anything.

Holly Rowe just admitted on ESPN's Outside the Lines that she rushed the field at LES after BYU beat Miami in 1990. That night, Utah was playing at Minnesota. She also graduated from the U. the following spring. Either Holly is going Brian Williams on us, or she wasn't being true to her school.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    SLC has three STR stations and it's a niche format. The ad dollars are diluted and most people who are on air also have to sell air time to keep their jobs. In some instances, the talent will buy the air time and sell the ad inventory available by himself.

So to answer your question, not much, if anything.
    This thread is now almost two years old......KFAN is still on the air, which quite frankly amazes me.

Do you think 3 STR stations is sustainable over the long run? Ie, in ten years, do we still have 3?

Bump.

Apparently, Keith Stubbs has decided to quit radio and pursue other interests. For now, ESPN 700 is going with a show called "The Bullpen" where a host will take one day a week and run with it from 11-1 each day.

Yesterday, it was Amy Donaldson and Jody Genessey. Today it has been Jeremiah Jensen. So far, so good.

Also, ESPN 700 is now available on the fm dial, although I never hear them promote this. They are on 107.1, which I can pick up in town much better than 700 AM.
    I liked Keith and enjoyed his show although I was far from a regular listener (I very rarely listen to sports radio unless there is an interview with a Ute coach or player).

Any guesses on who the other "bullpen" hosts are? I would love to hear Tony Jones take one of the days (although he would probably need a co-host to cover for his travel with the Jazz, similar to Jody). I don't think Dave Fox is doing radio anywhere right now, so maybe he takes a day? I'm guessing all hosts will have other local media gigs, but I'm struggling to come up with more ideas. I think our own Utebiquitous should host.

I think Utah has some very, very lazy radio personalities but actually has a lot of talent in print right now. Jody is a goof but seems to do good work. I think Tony Jones is very good and I also generally like both Piper and Goon.

This thread is now almost two years old......KFAN is still on the air, which quite frankly amazes me.

Do you think 3 STR stations is sustainable over the long run? Ie, in ten years, do we still have 3?
    It's been that way for the last 10 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if the status quo holds for the next 10 years.

You have three STR stations in SLC largely because you have a youthful workforce that will always take that job en route to something else. It's a pretty deep applicant pool for that kind of job in SLC. Also, it appears there's an ESPN Radio affiliate now broadcasting out of Utah County. Or is that an existing STR station that originates out of SLC and has a translator? I don't follow the business side of STR in SLC that much ...

I've always thought that if BYU ever got its live events onto STR, the market would cannibalize the third station. But then there's the Jazz, which is a pretty sizable draw as well.

Bump.

This is pretty significant. I expect radio ratings for Utah sports to climb noticeably, although not as much as they would if they were in the middle of the dial. Then again, maybe that doesn't matter anymore ...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's been that way for the last 10 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if the status quo holds for the next 10 years.

You have three STR stations in SLC largely because you have a youthful workforce that will always take that job en route to something else. It's a pretty deep applicant pool for that kind of job in SLC. Also, it appears there's an ESPN Radio affiliate now broadcasting out of Utah County. Or is that an existing STR station that originates out of SLC and has a translator? I don't follow the business side of STR in SLC that much ...

I've always thought that if BYU ever got its live events onto STR, the market would cannibalize the third station. But then there's the Jazz, which is a pretty sizable draw as well.
    I'm not certain but I believe this station used to be the Utah County/Zoobified sister station of 1280, which has now either been dumped or broken ties with 1280 and moved over to ESPN. I've never listened to it but I think that's how it works. I've been curious about there being two local(-ish) ESPN carriers but not curious enough to tune in.

I have really enjoyed listening to the insights of Mike Hague (sp?) on 1320 this week. I don't know if Monty left or is on vacation, but having an articulate football insider talk about college football is refreshing for a Utah morning show.

Monty moved to Phoenix because his wife got a good job there, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Monty moved to Phoenix because his wife got a good job there, he said.
    Thanks for the info. Since they hadn't mentioned him I was thinking that might be the case. Not sure if Mike Hague would want the job, but I really hope someone with some football knowledge gets the position. Is Hot Lunch interested?