Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

This doesn't really fit here, but it is about media, and we will have access to it locally, wherever "local" is for us all. so I am squeezing it in here.

Jon Wilner will be covering the entire PAC-12 and he seems to be very excited about that:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/1...ing-next-week/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Local Media?

While driving to a meeting this afternoon, I tuned into the Hackett and Gunther show. It's terrible. I'll bet those guys won't be on the air in six months.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    While driving to a meeting this afternoon, I tuned into the Hackett and Gunther show. It's terrible. I'll bet those guys won't be on the air in six months.
    I feel bad for Bill. He works his tail off to get good guests and to be informed on topics and to present strong opinions (Ill forgive him for 'Beers with Bill'; Im still not sure who thinks a guy drinking a beer and talking about it for 15 minutes makes for good radio, but i suppose it brings in some money....). And then he signs off at 2 and we get fart jokes, cat stories, alien sightings, off topic tangents galore, uninformed takes (sometimes going into stuff that is blatantly made up), weird banter, and very, very little show prep. On more than one occasion, Ive wondered why a guest hasn't simply hung up on them.

It sounds like they will be hosting two hour pre game shows before football and then im guessing they will likely be taking calls after bill and frank wrap up. For whatever reason, ESPN 700 has opted for 2 hour runnin ute pregame shows in the past couple of years. I hope they drop it down to 1 and dont include kyle and tom, they are a joke.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 08-29-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I feel bad for Bill. He works his tail off to get good guests and to be informed on topics and to present strong opinions (Ill forgive him for 'Beers with Bill'; Im still not sure who thinks a guy drinking a beer and talking about it for 15 minutes makes for good radio, but i suppose it brings in some money....). And then he signs off at 2 and we get fart jokes, cat stories, alien sightings, off topic tangents galore, uninformed takes (sometimes going into stuff that is blatantly made up), weird banter, and very, very little show prep. On more than one occasion, Ive wondered why a guest hasn't simply hung up on them.

It sounds like they will be hosting two hour pre game shows before football and then im guessing they will likely be taking calls after bill and frank wrap up. For whatever reason, ESPN 700 has opted for 2 hour runnin ute pregame shows in the past couple of years. I hope they drop it down to 1 and dont include kyle and tom, they are a joke.
    I think you've put your finger on the problem: They're lazy. I'm disappointed that they'll be doing pregame -- I hope not the post-game. In the past the people handling those parts of the broadcast have been knowledgeable football people -- Hans Olsen, John Pease, Christian Cox, O'Connell. Gunther is a clown and Hackett knows kicking.

--Yeats

Who else are you going to listen to, Monson?! I just listen to the podcast and forward through the soccer and basketball talk. I find them entertaining but I also have a low football IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel bad for Bill.
    Ummm. Isn't he the one that keeps firing the talent and replacing it with lesser talent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Ummm. Isn't he the one that keeps firing the talent and replacing it with lesser talent?

Well, yes. That is an interesting question. I wonder what's going on? They can't afford to pay better people?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

I actually had a good talk with swinney about this and its the folks above Bill who make these calls. Bill is a good company guy so he plays along but its the folks above him who are to blame. They want lots of commercials and hosts who work for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Who else are you going to listen to, Monson?
    Listen to music! All you sports radio people are wasting your lives!

I actually had a good talk with swinney about this and its the folks above Bill who make these calls. Bill is a good company guy so he plays along but its the folks above him who are to blame. They want lots of commercials and hosts who work for cheap.
    If he wants people who work for cheap, isn't less money and on the radio better for Swinney? Why was he and OC let go?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If he wants people who work for cheap, isn't less money and on the radio better for Swinney? Why was he and OC let go?
    Same reason Kyle and tom will be out next year; low ratings.

Local Media?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Listen to music! All you sports radio people are wasting your lives!
    The podcasts of Riley's show are OK. You can pick out the interviews you want to listen to. I just happened to tune in to an actual Gunther- Hackett broadcast and was astonished at how inane it was. It was actually embarrassing.

--Yeats

The podcasts of Riley's show are OK. You can pick out the interviews you want to listen to. I just happened to tune in to an actual Gunther- Hackett broadcast and was astonished at how inane it was. It was actually embarrassing.
    I typically like inane. It is a nice escape from everything that is going on. But it is even too much for me most of the time.

Clearly, it's a product that can be sold, and it shouldn't have to be spelled out that ad inventory is greater in two hours than it is in one. I can't believe you couldn't figure this out on your own.

I don't have a problem with two hour pregames.

Most college towns start pregame 5 hours before.

It's pathetic how Utah/Utah sports market can't find a way to make money off this.

I've said this before, but Utah was a great market for sports media. Some of the biggest names in sports came through here.

It feels like the stations decided that a crappy guy at $30,000 per year with average ratings was better than a guy at $60,000 with great ratings.

I'm talking about two hour pregame for basketball; that's as long as the game.

Like Pat said, it must sell ads, though that might say a lot about the drive time show.

Like Pat said, it must sell ads, though that might say a lot about the drive time show.
    I like the long pregame show for football. I listen to a lot of it while running errands or doing chores. I usually don't have time to spare for 2 hours prior to basketball games. More power to ESPN700 if they can sell ads for it all. It'll be interesting to see how it goes if Gunther and Hackett are hosting either the pregame or post-game show. I doubt I will listen.

--Yeats

I like the long pregame show for football. I listen to a lot of it while running errands or doing chores. I usually don't have time to spare for 2 hours prior to basketball games. More power to ESPN700 if they can sell ads for it all. It'll be interesting to see how it goes if Gunther and Hackett are hosting either the pregame or post-game show. I doubt I will listen.
    Yeah, the long pregame show for Football is great. Football games are more of an event than basketball games. With college basketball, there just isn't enough (on most gamedays) to take up two hours with interesting content.

Gunther and Hackett are going to be doing the first two hours of pre game today (1:30 - 3:30).

Wow. I guess you did say Runnin Ute 2-hour pregame shows, which of course means hoops. This could work for select games, but the idea of. 2-hour pregame for many of our non-con games seems like pure torture.

Hans Olsen is excellent at breaking down the game and describing what he saw on film. He was very impressed with Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Hans Olsen is excellent at breaking down the game and describing what he saw on film. He was very impressed with Utes.
    When he was doing the post-game show with Christian Cox I never missed it and looked forward to it.

--Yeats

Utezone radio coming to ESPN 700: http://scout.com/college/utah/Articl...-700-106957857

Interesting...kind of surprised they didn't burn some of those bridges on the way out the door.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utezone radio coming to ESPN 700: http://scout.com/college/utah/Articl...-700-106957857

Interesting...kind of surprised they didn't burn some of those bridges on the way out the door.
    This was my first thought too. Lol. Swinney went out of his way to bash on Gunther after being let go. Gotta wonder if the 7 o clock start time has anything to do with Gunther and Swinney not wanting to cross paths.

This was my first thought too. Lol. Swinney went out of his way to bash on Gunther after being let go. Gotta wonder if the 7 o clock start time has anything to do with Gunther and Swinney not wanting to cross paths.
    Swinney is at least a knowledgeable professional. Gunther, well, his schtick is to be a clown.

--Yeats

It is to fill a time slot; they were never going to cross paths. If they shake up Gunteher and Hackett, it will be to replace hackett with Ben Anderson, Gunther's partner at 1320. ESPN 700 has sort of ceded the Jazz to 1280, and are really attempting to brand themselves as the home of the Utes.

I didnt know this, but learned that Jazz players are not allowed to be interviewed on ESPN700.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It is to fill a time slot; they were never going to cross paths. If they shake up Gunteher and Hackett, it will be to replace hackett with Ben Anderson, Gunther's partner at 1320. ESPN 700 has sort of ceded the Jazz to 1280, and are really attempting to brand themselves as the home of the Utes.

I didnt know this, but learned that Jazz players are not allowed to be interviewed on ESPN700
    the Larry Miller family/group is creepy. Just another example at how they unfairly monopolize this market.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

I didnt know this, but learned that Jazz players are not allowed to be interviewed on ESPN700.
    I remember back in the day when the Jazz were a pretty good team, the old 1280 (when the Jazz were still with 1320) had a pre and post game show. When he was on his way out the door to Arizona, Kevin Graham said that one night he was at the Arena to cover a Jazz game and Jonathan Rhinehart, of Jazz PR started a pleasant conversation with him and then slipped him a cease and desist notice about the pre and post game shows. I think this was around 2008, 2009.

Oh and I do hope 700 does bring on Ben Anderson full time, but I really think he deserves better than Gunther.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    the Larry Miller family/group is creepy. Just another example at how they unfairly monopolize this market.
    The Millers are scum. Plain and simple. Bullies and fake.

I hope Ben Anderson gets hired by 700. Really like him.

Interesting fact that may be of interest only to me: The state's rep in the AP Top 25 football poll, for the first time I can ever remember, is not a newspaper guy, but Tony Parks of 1280.