Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Hybrid View

That pic of Spencer Checketts looks like a guy who just got his fourth DWI while driving 120 mph, and doesn't give a shit about the safety of you or your family.

He should get a 18 months in prison for this. But something tells me he has an expensive Get-Out-of-Jail card coming his way.

Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That pic of Spencer Checketts looks like a guy who just got his fourth DWI while driving 120 mph, and doesn't give a shit about the safety of you or your family.

He should get a 18 months in prison for this. But something tells me he has an expensive Get-Out-of-Jail card coming his way.
    Reality is no one gets that. Utah likes to be tough in dui on paper so they can say they are.

The paper listed 3 arrests, one was a guilty plea to a reduced charge in 2004.

I checked UtahsRight.com and it only shows one conviction, in 2008, again for a reduced charge of attempted DUI, alcohol license restriction violation and ignition interlock violation.

Utah law allows felony enhancements, but it requires two previous convictions within 10 years. So unless I’m missing something, he’s not eligible for anything other than a standard class B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 03-04-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

You've had three previous alcohol related run ins with the law and you get in your car drunk and then proceed to drive 120 MPH on the highway at 1:30 a.m.?

Wow. He has serious issues.

if you are driving drunk that many times, you just have a drinking problem. If you are driving drunk going 120 MPH at 1:30 in the morning, you are screaming out for the cops to pull you over. You want drama and chaos to come into your life. You are screaming out for attention.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.

ESPN 700 has updated their website to now include "Gunther and Ben".

That's good, I really like Ben. I might have to start listening again.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    ESPN 700 has updated their website to now include "Gunther and Ben".
    What's your assessment of this? A solid move? Or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic before the inevitable (ie, Gunther getting canned).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    What's your assessment of this? A solid move? Or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic before the inevitable (ie, Gunther getting canned).
    Hes an upgrade over Tom. He knows his stuff, prepares well, and has the ability to keep Gunther in check somewhat.

Weird observation: Gunther took to twitter this weekend to criticize Jazz fan favorite Rudy Gobert for helping up Ricky Rubio after the cheap shot from Jeff Teague instead of going to confront Teague (something Jae Crowder did). This afternoon during "Cross-talk" with Bill and Ben, Gunther stated that it was 'good news' that Arizona's Alonzo Trier is back at Arizona. While I certainly don't want a media member to ever cater to my viewpoints or sugarcoat anything, these were really dumb and completely unnecessary statements to make. He is either tone deaf to the market or trolling and neither is good news for ESPN 700.

Hackett and Andy Phillips did pre and post game for RSL yesterday. I guess he may stick around in that role.

i know Checketts has dealt with some difficult challenges (brain cancer being one of those), I don't condone his behavior, (4 DUI's deserves his driving privileges be revoked for life) but we all have our demons. I hope he gets his life back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I honestly believe things are better now and more transparent than ever. This has been going on forever and always will. At least we know more of it now.

That being said, interesting that Travis is the one to break it. Seems like petty retaliation to me. The dude is scum of the earth (Travis) and everything wrong with the world right now. He’s a blowhard in it for clicks.
    I think travis has a place and is a needed voice in today's world. Sure, his ranting against ESPN gets old but its also refreshing to see someone on the left side of the political spectrum socially go after sjw's when they go too far.

For instance, how many media folks went right along with michael Bennett's story about being racially profiled in Vegas? Well....when the footage was released bennett was proven to have made it all up (at least as far as being profiled). Clay was the only guy i know of to call him on it. We need that in todays world.

I think travis has a place and is a needed voice in today's world. Sure, his ranting against ESPN gets old but its also refreshing to see someone on the left side of the political spectrum socially go after sjw's when they go too far.

For instance, how many media folks went right along with michael Bennett's story about being racially profiled in Vegas? Well....when the footage was released bennett was proven to have made it all up (at least as far as being profiled). Clay was the only guy i know of to call him on it. We need that in todays world.
    I disagree about HIS voice. I agree that it is good to have opinions on both sides of the aisle. It's good to try to see issues from other's points of view. '

But his POV is an extremist. He is just as bad as the guys on the other end of the spectrum. He is nothing more than a fear monger, appealing to the basest, most vile fears/emotions in people. He's everything wrong with the world. He makes his money off being loud, whether right or wrong. The ironic thing is, he is everything he claims to stand up against. Be loud, throw shit against the wall, see what sticks.

I have nothing wrong with good journalism and finding out facts and getting to the bottom of things. But, he isn't those things. He'd make a great cult leader/pay for preacher. Same schtick.

I agree that it is good that he dug into the Bennet story. Get it right, don't try to be right is what I try (and fail) to live like.

My issue with him is that he motivation to find out the truth seems to come from a pretty bad place. And while his Bennet story was true, he spews out a lot of trash that only worsens everything.

Is it worth getting one thing right every now and again to put up with all the garbage out there? He's a Rachel Maddow or Keith Olberman or Rush or Hannity. And their voices are there for one reason: to sell commercials. And that sucks. Or, it sucks that so many believe they are in it to find the truth. They aren't. They are in it to get the big bucks. If you stumble on the truth along the way, great, but if not, it's ok, you made those dolla bills.

His appearance on Arian Foster's podcast was pretty good. Changed Foster's mind about him in a lot of ways.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jim Rome's show, which is on the right wing talk radio station 1430 KLO, has been bumped on Fridays for something called "Latter Day Radio". What a fall from grace.

Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.

The guy the Trib layed off, Lynn Worthy, was hired by the Kansas City Star today to cover the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.
    Been a long time since I read anything Kragthorpe has written.

I think old timey reporters believe their job is to break news. I don't need that in a beat reporter - the news will break either way.

A good beat reporter now is someone who will interact with fans on Twitter and write positive feature articles. Someone who is only critical when necessary and who isn't looking to constantly stir the pot.

Sancho,
    I think we'll see a little of both from Kragthorpe - feature articles and breaking news, probably in that order. I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style. He's been critical at times in his columns but almost apologetically. I hated seeing Lynn Worthy go but Kragthorpe will do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style.
    Thanks. That's good to hear. No pot-stirring is probably #1 on my wish list. I certainly don't mind critical takes when warranted.

-It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell.

-Speaking of Mitchell, he has been hired to do a nightly sports themed show on KSL radio with Alex Kirry from 7-9. That timeslot has been somewhat of a revolving door since the nightside project went off the air a couple of years ago.

-Spence Checketts announced a couple of weeks ago that 1280 has decided to not bring him back and he said he will announce soon where he is going. Id love to see a Bill and Spence reunion but I dont know.

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant. My only (small) argument with the article is that I dont think this has ever been a three horse race. I have only seen real numbers here and there, but my suspicion is that 1280 has been dominating since the 1280/1320 psuedo merger in 2012. I dont think we have had a true ratings battle since before that.

-It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell....

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant.
    I’ve always liked Dolce, so I’d hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. I’m a Bill Riley fan — I’m surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’ve always liked Dolce, so I’d hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. I’m a Bill Riley fan — I’m surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.
    Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think he’ll be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. I’ll miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think he’ll be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. I’ll miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.
    Yup, Riley on the PxP, Mitchell as his booth partner.

https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/...79760117669890

Swinney with some interesting thoughts on KG. I disagree with him about KG's talents and while I know he worked hard, I also think Swinney is fairly out of touch with this market as well.

https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/...79760117669890

Swinney with some interesting thoughts on KG. I disagree with him about KG's talents and while I know he worked hard, I also think Swinney is fairly out of touch with this market as well.
    He is absolutely right about Gunther being extremely lazy and unprepared. And a blowhard. And not a nice person to coworkers. But Swinney is hurting himself with this extended grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He is absolutely right about Gunther being extremely lazy and unprepared. And a blowhard. And not a nice person to coworkers. But Swinney is hurting himself with this extended grudge.
    Somewhere in the replies, Swinney said his career in radio is over and that he likes what hes doing now. But I agree, hopefully he moves on.

John La Follette (former producer on ESPN 700) weighed in as well saying he enjoyed his time at 700 and that Gunther was the only one he didn't get along with.

The infamous 'Munther' story still makes me laugh and shake my head...........How does someone who behaves that way not get instantly fired, much less another job in the same industry? Together with the time he got suspended for a week from 1280 in 2012, he seems to have some real anger issues that i hope he can get a handle on; perhaps he already has, as he has now managed to go through 2 Pac-12 media days at ESPN 700 without getting kicked out,

Somewhere in the replies, Swinney said his career in radio is over and that he likes what hes doing now. But I agree, hopefully he moves on.

John La Follette (former producer on ESPN 700) weighed in as well saying he enjoyed his time at 700 and that Gunther was the only one he didn't get along with.

The infamous 'Munther' story still makes me laugh and shake my head...........How does someone who behaves that way not get instantly fired, much less another job in the same industry? Together with the time he got suspended for a week from 1280 in 2012, he seems to have some real anger issues that i hope he can get a handle on; perhaps he already has, as he has now managed to go through 2 Pac-12 media days at ESPN 700 without getting kicked out,

LaFollette quit because of Gunther, about 3 months after Gunther replaced OC. Gunther drove him crazy because the producers would prepare a schedule for the show, guests, topics, etc., and Gunther (i) would never prepare to ask appropriate questions, or (ii) would disregard the schedule altogether and just do what he wanted, which was spout b s on and on.

So Gunther and Ben are toast?

--Yeats

I listen to selected podcast interviews from Riley’s show. Sometimes I listen live while in my car via the TuneIn app, or when I’m in SLC. I never listen to Gunther and am amazed he’s given a show anywhere.

--Yeats

I only care about college football so I find the Gunther hate kind of comical. Other than Hans Olsen, is there any local media member that knows more about the sport?

I know there are some BYU oriented stations with ex-players, but why would I listen to them for insight on the Utes?