Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I hope Ben Anderson gets hired by 700. Really like him.
    I concur

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Interesting fact that may be of interest only to me: The state's rep in the AP Top 25 football poll, for the first time I can ever remember, is not a newspaper guy, but Tony Parks of 1280.
    Thats not a bad choice. As a Michigan fan, he doesn't have any allegiances to the local schools. Hes also not a troll.

Has anyone been following the ESPN-Jemele Hill situation? (I realize this is national media)

Hill has been suspended for 2 weeks (starting last week) for pointing out to fans that they could boycott sponsors of the Dallas Cowboys in response to Jerry Jones and standing during th anthem. Critics called foul citing racism/sexism. This comes on the heels of Hill getting in some trouble for calling president trump a bigot and a white supremacist. (This also led to a somewhat humorous appearance by Clay Travis on CNN where he derailed the entire conversation about Jemele by dropping one of his taglines and the CNN host got offended. IMO, Clay is a buffoon, but when you willingly bring him on to discuss something, what do you expect?)

I dont really buy the racism/sexism comment. I think this is more about ESPN being unwilling to allow its personalities to take a run at the NFL, ala Bill Simmons.

Putting Jemele and Michael on 'The 6' sportscenter has led to a drop in ratings (though I haven't seen any numbers where they are adjusted for drop in subscriptions, not that that means a ton). I gotta think Jemele is one controversy away from looking for work elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Has anyone been following the ESPN-Jemele Hill situation? (I realize this is national media)

Hill has been suspended for 2 weeks (starting last week) for pointing out to fans that they could boycott sponsors of the Dallas Cowboys in response to Jerry Jones and standing during th anthem. Critics called foul citing racism/sexism. This comes on the heels of Hill getting in some trouble for calling president trump a bigot and a white supremacist. (This also led to a somewhat humorous appearance by Clay Travis on CNN where he derailed the entire conversation about Jemele by dropping one of his taglines and the CNN host got offended. IMO, Clay is a buffoon, but when you willingly bring him on to discuss something, what do you expect?)

I dont really buy the racism/sexism comment. I think this is more about ESPN being unwilling to allow its personalities to take a run at the NFL, ala Bill Simmons.

Putting Jemele and Michael on 'The 6' sportscenter has led to a drop in ratings (though I haven't seen any numbers where they are adjusted for drop in subscriptions, not that that means a ton). I gotta think Jemele is one controversy away from looking for work elsewhere.
    I think she will ultimately parlay this into a non-sports job at a major network.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think she will ultimately parlay this into a non-sports job at a major network.
    I think you are spot on. She has managed to generate a lot of controversy (ie gotten her name out there) without doing anything close to career ending. Id love to see the ratings for ESPN's 'debate' shows. It boggles my mind why anyone in 2017 would sit through most of ESPN's non-live sports programming. (Since I think the group has had this discussion before, ill edit this to clarify that I mean daytime programming.)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think you are spot on. She has managed to generate a lot of controversy (ie gotten her name out there) without doing anything close to career ending. Id love to see the ratings for ESPN's 'debate' shows. It boggles my mind why anyone in 2017 would sit through most of ESPN's non-live sports programming. (Since I think the group has had this discussion before, ill edit this to clarify that I mean daytime programming.)
    PTI, College Gameday, that's my list of shows I watch on a regular basis. Clay Travis is not necessarily wrong as to why they are losing some of their viewers. But as you note, some of his tomfoolery gets in the way of any salient point he makes most of the time.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    PTI, College Gameday, that's my list of shows I watch on a regular basis. Clay Travis is not necessarily wrong as to why they are losing some of their viewers. But as you note, some of his tomfoolery gets in the way of any salient point he makes most of the time.
    You can just see it in his eyes .....in his mind he's going "I'm about to say boobs! Lol!" The other two should have given it an eyeroll and moved on. I'm still not sure why they invited him on. He gained quite a few Twitter followers from it.

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but since it is about a local radio station:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app

Classical music is one of those things you seem to appreciate more as you get older. I have had some classical favorites for many years, but 4 years ago I started listening to Classical 89 most of the time when driving in my car. I have felt like a whole new world was opened up to me and I have enjoyed discovering new favorites and learning more about music and about composers.

Why would you intentionally kill a treasure like Classical 89?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but since it is about a local radio station:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app

Classical music is one of those things you seem to appreciate more as you get older. I have had some classical favorites for many years, but 4 years ago I started listening to Classical 89 most of the time when driving in my car. I have felt like a whole new world was opened up to me and I have enjoyed discovering new favorites and learning more about music and about composers.

Why would you intentionally kill a treasure like Classical 89?
    You probably already have it but get Spotify. You can set up your own classical music stations that play interruption free and you can pause, skip, go back, etc.

It gets ‘smart’ and starts giving you daily and weekly recommendation that you like. Are your more Mozart or Beethoven? It’ll figure you out and start playing stuff that fits your musical tastes.

You can probably sync your phone with your car stereo if not plug into an aux Jack, or if you drive old cars like me, an FM transmitter for about $20.

I honestly have no idea why people listen to the radio for music any more and this goes for all radio stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I honestly have no idea why people listen to the radio for music any more and this goes for all radio stations.
    I don't have a smart phone, so I listen to the radio. No school like the old school.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't have a smart phone, so I listen to the radio. No school like the old school.

I used to feel the same way, but syncing your phone to your car speakers is the greatest invention of all time.

I'm with team sancho on this. I have the FM adapter that lets me play my phone on an FM channel. It works sporadically on some unused FM station signal provided you don't leave a 3 block radius and get a stronger signal from another station (probably showing my lack of technical moxey)

I just want to use my car radio.

I'm also one who enjoys BYU's classical 89

Local Media?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

Our new police cars have no Aux or Bluetooth. And with all our equipment the FM transmitters are hit and miss. So radio it is.
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 10-26-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Regarding FM transmitters there are a ton of garbage ones out there. I had a great one from Monster that seemed to work everywhere.

Walter Rudolph, former senior producer and general manager of KBYU-FM from 1978-2011, said that while he hasn’t been in communication with BYU Broadcasting or Michael Dunn about the decision to drop Classical 89, the change doesn’t come as a complete surprise to him.

“I think that a decision like this … ultimately is inevitable,” he said. "We’ve seen stations that have died all around the country.”

But while it’s not entirely unexpected, he said there are many things about Classical 89 that no Spotify can make up for. Classical 89 educates listeners about composers and their respective time periods, and interviews with guest conductors and artists connect the community in ways that nothing else can.

“The classical music radio stations have done a good job of presenting the music and letting people know that it’s there and who the primary performers today are, what they bring to the music and how it can affect your life, how it can help you have a better day,” he said.

Music is also a major consideration when it comes to the aura of a city — a symphony orchestra, ballet or opera all adds to a city's distinction, Rudolph said. And classical radio ties all of the arts together.

“The radio station is the key to all of it because it’s central,” he said. “It’s always there. … You get in your car, and it’s there. You go in the house, it’s there — if you want it.”
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...community.html
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I should have named this thread "Sports Media" but that was four and a half years ago now............

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/1...low_twitter_si

I have been at a company (as Im sure many have) where word gets out that layoffs are coming. Its brutal. As much as I dont care for many of the on air personalities at ESPN, I will never cheer for anyone (who is not a ridiculous person) to lose their job.

I don't know if any of you know the Mike Dunn referred to in the article, but Mike is a dyed in the wool Ute fan. When we were at the U he worked at KUED and helped create the first intra-campus television broadcasts. He has Ute vanity plates that I think are UteFan1. He will continue with the vanity plates and promised his wife and kids that he would only wear BYU logo clothing while on campus or at official BYU functions. He is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't know if any of you know the Mike Dunn referred to in the article, but Mike is a dyed in the wool Ute fan. When we were at the U he worked at KUED and helped create the first intra-campus television broadcasts. He has Ute vanity plates that I think are UteFan1. He will continue with the vanity plates and promised his wife and kids that he would only wear BYU logo clothing while on campus or at official BYU functions. He is a good guy.

Didnt he get mauled by a bear in Yellowstone or the Tetons? He is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Didnt he get mauled by a bear in Yellowstone or the Tetons? He is a great guy.
    Yes, same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yep. Great guy. My wife has worked with him at KUED before he left for S Africa. Nothing but positive to say about him.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Today is the last day of mike and mike. Greenburg is going to get 6.5 million per year to do a "Today" style show on ESPN.

Golic will be joined by Trey Wingo in the mike and mike slot on ESPN radio and ESPN 2.

Pac 12 with new 24/7 Radio Channel

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/12/18...ve-new-channel

As most here probably saw, Tom Hackett got a good laugh out of Troy Williams removing his shoe and coming out of the game yesterday. Despite numerous people pointing out that it was a rather selfless act trying to get Lisk in the game, Hackett opted to leave the tweet up.

I am beginning to think that the guy is just not very bright.

I have heard that these radio hosts are on one year contracts and Tom's is going to be up in February or March. Ill be interested to see if 700 keeps him around. Despite being a two time National award winner, I get the feeling that overall he knows about as much as an average fan about the game of football. When he talks soccer, he appears to know what he is talking about (I wouldn't know, not my thing). He is in over his head any time he has to talk about basketball and most days ends up rattling off the box score for his turn to talk.

Maybe he is being misused. I mean, while I certainly wouldn't be a good radio host, I especially wouldn't be good if I were charged with talking about sports I only sort of know like Soccer, Lacrosse, and Hockey. Maybe an ideal spot for him is helping on Ute and RSL pre and post game. He certainly isn't being maximized next to Gunther talking sports for four hours a day.....

I listened a little when Pease was sitting in for Gunther. Hackett sounded more knowledgeable. I wondered if he is playing up or down to the skills of his co-hosts.

Sports Media (local and national)

So...Dirk Facer. Sister Facer, I’m afraid that your husband is cheating on you.

Edit: I just realized that the time stamp doesn’t show up, and it’s pretty critical here.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 12-30-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Ben Anderson and Andy Larsen are filling in for Bill today as he hangs out in LA Ute's part of the world. They seem to the go to for filling in on that station. Part of me wonders if they might get the next crack at the afternoon show. Both know basketball and football, Andy is a good soccer mind for the RSL fans.

I think Ben Anderson is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sports Media (local and national)

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Reno-meet.html

I didn’t think much of this article....then I noticed the byline. It’s written by Liz Abel, Utah’s SID.

After first blush it seemed weird to have our SID writing for a paper....then I realized they just reprinted the U’s entire press release, and tagged her name on the byline as if she wrote it for them.

Seems rather misleading, especially when many readers will have no idea who Liz is, and will instead think the DNews is sending a reporter to the meets.

It’s the Des News. They make buzzfeed seem like a legit paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Reno-meet.html

I didn’t think much of this article....then I noticed the byline. It’s written by Liz Abel, Utah’s SID.

After first blush it seemed weird to have our SID writing for a paper....then I realized they just reprinted the U’s entire press release, and tagged her name on the byline as if she wrote it for them.

Seems rather misleading, especially when many readers will have no idea who Liz is, and will instead think the DNews is sending a reporter to the meets.

Sad that the D-News can't pay $100 to some stringer in the Reno area to do the story for them.

Putting Liz's name at the top is a mistake made by some part-timer who doesn't know any better.