Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

As long as DJ and PK are on the air on one channel, and Dan Patrick/Mike and Mike is on another, KFAN is going to face an uphill battle in ratings. Bringing on a former, likeable player is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    monty moved to phoenix because his wife got a job there, he said.
    fify

Bump, again.

Announced today that ESPN 700 is dropping "TK in the midday". They will now have Bill on from 11-2 and then OC and Keith Stubbs from 2-6. I assume theyll drop Lebatard in this scenario.

I like Tom Kirkland but radio wasnt a good fit for him.

Swinney and Josh Grant will continue to do Red Friday. Sounds like Bill needed to cut back his hours. Dont blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think the best writer has been Doug Robinson of the Desnews. But I don't think he writes sports any longer, does he.
    I know im pulling a moose here to dig up a three year old post to say "LOL!" but.......LOL!!!!

Speaking of Bill Reilly, how do people feel about him as play by play? I've had to listen to him a few times and it's unlistenable in my mind. It goes well with the video, but if all you have is his voice to tell you what's going in, you basically get "utah brings the ball up the court, dribble, pass, pass, now taylor has it.... Loveridge buries the 3".

The Grizzlies have a great play by play guy, Adrian Denny. 700 should go after him for the Utes, and let Bill have RSL, which fits his broadcasting style better.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Speaking of Bill Reilly, how do people feel about him as play by play? I've had to listen to him a few times and it's unlistenable in my mind. It goes well with the video, but if all you have is his voice to tell you what's going in, you basically get "utah brings the ball up the court, dribble, pass, pass, now taylor has it.... Loveridge buries the 3".

The Grizzlies have a great play by play guy, Adrian Denny. 700 should go after him for the Utes, and let Bill have RSL, which fits his broadcasting style better.
    i quite like Riley play by play. A lot. Much better than David Locke, who really is unlistenable with they fake histrionic hype and excitement.

Riley isn't going anywhere, since he manages the station and is the boss.

i quite like Riley play by play. A lot. Much better than David Locke, who really is unlistenable with they fake histrionic hype and excitement.

Riley isn't going anywhere, since he manages the station and is the boss.
    I miss Hot Rod and Bill Marcroft tremendously. Yes Hot Rod was occasionally "out of it" and yes Marcroft stumbled quite a bit "Check it!", but they made the games so fun.

I'm with you on Riley's play by play. I have no idea what's going on 70% of the time, until Soto explains it after the fact.

I haven't had to rely on listening to a game until got a long time until one game earlier this year. It was hard to listen to (for different reasons than Wrubbel or Locke). Those we of us who grew up listening to radio play by play for the majority of away games in the 70's and 80's expect a better description of the action.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Bump, again.

Announced today that ESPN 700 is dropping "TK in the midday". They will now have Bill on from 11-2 and then OC and Keith Stubbs from 2-6. I assume theyll drop Lebatard in this scenario.

I like Tom Kirkland but radio wasnt a good fit for him.

Swinney and Josh Grant will continue to do Red Friday. Sounds like Bill needed to cut back his hours. Dont blame him.
    I'm kind of sorry to see this. I listen to the podcasts while working out the following morning. O.C. can't carry a show by himself (he's really pretty terrible at it when he's alone, IMO), so I hope Stubbs can help him. One thing about Riley is that he knows sports radio and has been doing it a long time. O.C. isn't there yet. It's hard to take him seriously. He ought to decide if he's going to be a MMA fighter or a broadcaster.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There's a certain PBP man in the state who will periodically go through huge bursts of soccer interest on Twitter. Maybe someone's secretly auditioning for a job?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There's a certain PBP man in the state who will periodically go through huge bursts of soccer interest on Twitter. Maybe someone's secretly auditioning for a job?
    Please no. Rubella on 700? Nope. That dude burned too many bridges. He made his bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm kind of sorry to see this. I listen to the podcasts while working out the following morning. O.C. can't carry a show by himself (he's really pretty terrible at it when he's alone, IMO), so I hope Stubbs can help him. One thing about Riley is that he knows sports radio and has been doing it a long time. O.C. isn't there yet. It's hard to take him seriously. He ought to decide if he's going to be a MMA fighter or a broadcaster.
    OTOH, maybe now we'll hear fewer interviews with RSL people. This is a selfish interest; I know lots of people follow soccer, but I have no interest in it at all.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-16-2016 at 01:09 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I listen to a lot of Utah football games on the radio (unless it is a night game, i got stuff to do during the day). I don't mind Bill at all. He doesn't come off as a blatant homer like some other teams radio guys in our state. I really like Frank Dolce. He cracks me up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    She doesn't appear to have BYU connections:

http://www.rebeccacade.com/

--Yeats

LOL. Is there anything funnier than trolling BYU fans?

She doesn't. She's only been in Utah for ~ six months, if I'm remembering right. But obviously already picked up on the poorly kept local secret of how to start a conversation.

She doesn't. She's only been in Utah for ~ six months, if I'm remembering right. But obviously already picked up on the poorly kept local secret of how to start a conversation.

100% this. She is just fishing for clicks.

She's a Bama grad. She can't help being a bit behind. Tuscaloosa makes Provo look like Paris.

Swinney and OC on ESPN 700 in the afternoons are amazing. Everything they talk about end ups morphing into Utah talk. It has been fantastic. Listen to these guys. Prove them right, that Utah fans are a force in the market, but they just need an outlet to find Utah news.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Swinney and OC on ESPN 700 in the afternoons are amazing. Everything they talk about end ups morphing into Utah talk. It has been fantastic. Listen to these guys. Prove them right, that Utah fans are a force in the market, but they just need an outlet to find Utah news.
    I agree. I've really enjoyed them.

I really wish the 700 app would host podcasts as well. Having an app that only streams live is pretty silly. Especially since the website is a bit of mess on mobile.

I really wish the 700 app would host podcasts as well. Having an app that only streams live is pretty silly. Especially since the website is a bit of mess on mobile.
    There are podcasts. I listen to them every day. Just search for the Bill Riley show and also the new O'Connnell - Swinney show. If you're not interested in what you are hearing, you can simply fast forward to something that does interest you.

--Yeats

This. I have them load up on my phone automatically every night. I have an iPhone and listen through the podcast app.

This. I have them load up on my phone automatically every night. I have an iPhone and listen through the podcast app.
    which app?

Local Media?

which app?
    There's a native iPhone app, which I don't like much. I use Podcruncher, which costs $2.95 or so. Easy to use, has some nice features.

--Yeats

There are podcasts. I listen to them every day. Just search for the Bill Riley show and also the new O'Connnell - Swinney show. If you're not interested in what you are hearing, you can simply fast forward to something that does interest you.

The ESPN 700 app has five functions: call the show, email the show, text the show, leave the app and go to the website, or listen live. I'm not denying that there are podcasts, because I do listen to them, it's just that you can't access any of that stuff through their app.

The issue I seem to have streaming on my iPhone through the website is that 50-70% of the time I follow a link to an interview, once the page loads (which is typically comparatively slow), it's buggy and won't recognize my attempts at hitting the play link fifty times. I have to reload the page once or twice to get it to work.

There's a native iPhone app, which I don't like much. I use Podcruncher, which costs $2.95 or so. Easy to use, has some nice features.

I just use the iPhone podcast app. I have it set to download every day, and only keep 5 episodes. That means that if I don't listen to the podcast, it just deletes it off when a new show comes on.

The ESPN 700 app has five functions: call the show, email the show, text the show, leave the app and go to the website, or listen live. I'm not denying that there are podcasts, because I do listen to them, it's just that you can't access any of that stuff through their app.

The issue I seem to have streaming on my iPhone through the website is that 50-70% of the time I follow a link to an interview, once the page loads (which is typically comparatively slow), it's buggy and won't recognize my attempts at hitting the play link fifty times. I have to reload the page once or twice to get it to work.
    Yeah, their app sucks as does their website.

The current espn 700 lineup is my favorite that theyve had. Swinney has surprised me. My only complaint is the RSL talk.....but even then, its funny to hear oc and swinney try to get theough a soccer interview.