Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Local Media?

The Riley show is content-rich. I like it a lot. O'Connell and Swinney have too much banter for me. Lots of chit-chat about things important only to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The current espn 700 lineup is my favorite that theyve had. Swinney has surprised me. My only complaint is the RSL talk.....but even then, its funny to hear oc and swinney try to get theough a soccer interview.
    Given who owns the station you're stuck with the soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Given who owns the station you're stuck with the soccer

Yep. Been that way for years. Its here to stay.

Did this already get posted? Huntsman's to buy the Trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3799365-1...-the-salt-lake
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Did this already get posted? Huntsman's to buy the Trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3799365-1...-the-salt-lake
    Just saw that. Wow. I hope this means a continuation of decent U-related sports news.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

That is HUUUUGE news. I am happy to see it happen. The state is better served by having multiple sources for news.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is HUUUUGE news. I am happy to see it happen. The state is better served by having multiple sources for news.
    Also it is great that it is a local family who is invested in the community instead of a bottom-line toting hedge fund.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Local Media?

I've noticed that Scott Mitchell is on ESPN 700 frequently now. He's pretty good at radio. I wonder if he is trying to get into it long term? I've heard lots of rumors about him wanting to coach, but he's probably set for life, income-wise, so I don't know why he would subject himself to that grind.

Last edited by LA Ute; 05-19-2016 at 11:17 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I've noticed that Scott Mitchell is on ESPN 700 frequently now. He's pretty good at radio. I wonder if he is trying to get into it long term? I've heard lots of rumors about him wanting to coach, but he's probably set for life, income-wise, so I don't know why he would subject himself to that grind.

Everyone knows that you have to back up some pretty great NFL quarterbacks to be able to hack a D1 coaching gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Everyone knows that you have to back up some pretty great NFL quarterbacks to be able to hack a D1 coaching gig.
    Because Heisman.

--Yeats

1320 KFAN has let Tim Lewis go. He was the morning host. He had started in february.

I can honestly say that I never tuned in. He made some noise on his first day on twitter by saying that BYU had better football facilities and that Utah needed to upgrade to compete. Those who listened all seemed to think he was really doing a show in 2000 and had somehow stumbled into a time machine.

I followed him on twitter for a couple of days, and he was very off putting. Anyone who disagreed with him was told to "calm down"or "relax". Not even good at trolling........

Apparently, KFAN is going to just run the CBS national show in that slot now. As long as DJ and PK are on one station, and Mike and Mike/Dan Patrick are on another, there really isn't much hope for a third morning show.

I wonder if KFAN is starting to accept that they really dont have a shot to climb out of third.

I really like the two inmates that were running the assylum between monty and tim. They didn't have any insider sports knowledge but they made me laugh. Especially the kid that talked about Kaysville and davis high all the time. I thought they were a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I really like the two inmates that were running the assylum between monty and tim. They didn't have any insider sports knowledge but they made me laugh. Especially the kid that talked about Kaysville and davis high all the time. I thought they were a hoot.

I was confused as to why they didn't stick with that duo. I liked them as well.

PK is unlistenable radio. I get the schtick, he had rare moments of being truly funny, but I hate to even call him a poor man's Colin Cowherd because I actually like Cowherd.

Sometimes guys like that are an acquired taste so I've really tried hard and can't get there. And it isn't because I am offended as a Ute fan or anything else. My finger just twitches and I have to change the channel when he starts doing the obnoxious talk thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    PK is unlistenable radio. I get the schtick, he had rare moments of being truly funny, but I hate to even call him a poor man's Colin Cowherd because I actually like Cowherd.

Sometimes guys like that are an acquired taste so I've really tried hard and can't get there. And it isn't because I am offended as a Ute fan or anything else. My finger just twitches and I have to change the channel when he starts doing the obnoxious talk thing.

DJ and PK were hands down the worst substitute hosts ever on the Jim Rome show. I pitied fans of STR in SLC after listening to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    DJ and PK were hands down the worst substitute hosts ever on the Jim Rome show. I pitied fans of STR in SLC after listening to them.
    I never listened when they were guest hosts, but i inagine it was awful. Their whole thing is playing point-counterpoint on the jazz and trying to start a daily byu utah troll fest. Cant imagine it works with national topics.

I think rome just gave them the chance since dj gave him his first job in the business.

Weren't DJ and Jim Rome roommates in college or something like that?

that very well could be true; they were both communicaitons majors at UC Santa Barbara at the same time, likely the same class (1987 or 88)

I don't know if they were roommates but they were definitely buddies.

Not sure about roomies, but DJ was in charge at some level of the local radio station and he gave Jim a job.

Not sure about roomies, but DJ was in charge at some level of the local radio station and he gave Jim a job.
    That's an interesting back story. Had no idea.

I don't have much of an issue with DJ. He was one of the TV guys I respected in the SLC market when I was in school there. Dave Fox seemed like a blowhard, and Kent Rupe just never did it for me.

Don't Google Dana Green then. That dude drives me nuts.

I've tried to listen to a few podcasts of O'Connell and Swinney. I can't find a way to enjoy the show. Neither one of them can carry a show alone and it doesn't look like they can do it together either. So much of their air time is wasted on banal banter. Do sports fans really want to listen to all that? I wonder if they will last.

--Yeats

I've tried to listen to a few podcasts of O'Connell and Swinney. I can't find a way to enjoy the show. Neither one of them can carry a show alone and it doesn't look like they can do it together either. So much of their air time is wasted on banal banter. Do sports fans really want to listen to all that? I wonder if they will last.
    Theyre ok. Swinney has been better than I thought. OC is good at talking football or MMA, otherwise he is lost. Not a great x's and o's show by any means.

The oddest thing on 700 lately to me is a seemingly daily appearance by scott mitchell. I mean, hes fine and all, I just dont get why he needs to be on everyday.

Theyre ok. Swinney has been better than I thought. OC is good at talking football or MMA, otherwise he is lost. Not a great x's and o's show by any means.

The oddest thing on 700 lately to me is a seemingly daily appearance by scott mitchell. I mean, hes fine and all, I just dont get why he needs to be on everyday.
    I am wondering if they're not grooming him for some kind of role with the station. He has already been designated as one of the color guys handling the pregame and postgame shows during football season.

--Yeats

Just watch OC go three brutal rounds on national tv in the octagon. Not sure that's going to help his radio persona but dude won some respect from me tonight.

K Scott filling in for Swinney today. Might be interesting. Might be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    K Scott filling in for Swinney today. Might be interesting. Might be awful.

Gotta admit I wince when Kenneth says things like "he shoulda came" or "I couldn't have went." But I wince when anyone says stuff like that.

--Yeats

Gotta admit I wince when Kenneth says things like "he shoulda came" or "I couldn't have went." But I wince when anyone says stuff like that.
    You probably wince a lot.

Local Media?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You probably wince a lot.

All I know is that I shoulda came straight home and never walked across LA's lawn. That couldn't have went any worse.