Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If Monson evokes these kinds of emotions from you or anyone else, guess what? He's already won. because he's doing his job by doing so, even if his critics don't recognize it. From a pure sportswriting perspective, Monson's writing is good, not great. He's a million miles from being T.J. Simers in his prime as a pot-stirrer, and his prose ain't gonna remind anyone of Jim Murray or Blackie Sherrod, two of my all-time favorites. But he gets people talking and responding. And as newspapers lose the influence and dominance they have within media, coupled with a decidedly niche listenership (sports talk radio is still very much a niche market in all but a handful of markets nationally; SLC is no exception to this), Monson remains the undisputed king of sports media in the state of Utah.

You think Monson is getting punked, but RSL pulling this stunt that it did only enhances that status. Do you really think anyone else in the largely milquetoast SLC sports media could evoke this kind of reaction from anyone else?

Sports fans are a passionate bunch, but they're also wildly hypocritical. They want sportswriters to give the enemy the 60 Minutes/Mike Wallace-showing-up-unannounced-at-the-front-door treatment, but they want their own team to be covered by Oprah. As it pertains to Utah athletics, I think Utah fans to varying degrees suffer (in their own self-inflicted ways) because there isn't a Dick Harmon-type covering our program, and I know how Ute fans go after him for his Pollyannish ways. Can't have it both ways.

Having walked in Monson's shoes in much more lightly tread areas of the country (translation: I didn't have nearly the readership), I can honestly say most sports writers and columnists are more amused than angered by their critics, if only for the fact that they so frequently put on display their own ignorance and/or bias when "critiquing" the performance of a media member. That said, I was thrilled to see Terry Orme react like he did -- and regardless of what you think of Monson, everyone else should be too. He has his writers' collective backs, which will empower them to not only do their job, but do the tough jobs we need and ask of a free press to do.

Wanna know what keeps journalists up at night? It certainly isn't getting their readers' panties twisted in a bunch, it's the fear of truly fucking up and ending up in court. Making the news instead of being the news. There is a ton of complexity to the following story, but I'll give the Cliff Notes version: I once worked at a newspaper that was sued by Bo Jackson. And he had us dead to rights. My sports editor attended a seminar on PEDs, and he quoted a nutritionist as saying that Bo's hip replacement surgery was necessitated because of anabolic steroid use. She denied it, and IIRC there was video of the event that caught our sports editor talking to her, and our sports editor wasn't taking notes and didn't record the interview.

I was off the day the story would've passed my eyes for editing. When the lawsuit was announced -- and it made SportsCenter and every newspaper ( http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...traction_x.htm ) of significance in the country when it was filed -- I was initially relieved that my ass was safe. Then I was pissed off that I wasn't on the copy desk that night to see that the quote never made the light of day. Then I thought to myself, "Would I have caught it for sure?" This was in an era in which everyone freely floated opinions in everyday conversation that Athlete X was on steroids.

In the end, the SE was fired, we ran an apology and retraction and I moved to Kansas a few months later. In a very interesting twist, my (now former) newspaper ran the same apology and retraction several years later -- indicating to me that the lawsuit had not yet been settled (It likely has been by now, but I do not know the particulars). I do know that Bo refiled the lawsuit because his initial filing was thrown out by an Illinois judge on the basis that said judge didn't have jurisdiction over what a California newspaper published. I also know that because one of the parties sued initially -- the fired SE's predecessor -- was wrongly named in Bo's initial lawsuit, that he got some nice autographed schwag from Bo for the inconvenience. The wrong sports editor was sued, because the staff directory that was posted online had not been updated. No other member of the sports department was sued outside of the SE -- just the publisher and editor-in-chief. Bo Knows Newspaper Hierarchy.

Back to Monson. Wanna hate him, not read him? I'm surely not going to force your hand. Wanna make him irrelevant? Ignore him. Become apathetic. By and large, he's just another sports writer to me. I read his stuff occasionally. But this hullabaloo over revoking his credentials got me to read one prior piece of his on RSL, and I suspect I'm hardly alone in this matter. I also found out about the credential revoking on Twitter from Monson critics, who are on his payroll without even knowing it.
    I don't disagree with your post, but I do have a question.

What is your take on the way Monson seems to dance the line between reporter and columnist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couple of months ago I was teasing Peggy Fletcher Stack, the Trib religion reporter, at a party. I have often been amazed that her articles about the LDS church in particular get as many as 4000 reader comments. I said that the LDS Church must be keeping both SLC newspapers afloat.

In seriousness, I asked her if her articles generated the most traffic of any reporter at the Trib. She said no, it was Gordon Monson. She said she was second, and I had the impression that whoever is 3rd isn't even close to them. I was surprised that she was so aware precisely of how many clicks they get, but sounds like it is closely tied to all the reporters' job security, which can be tenuous these days.

Anyway, all of this hubub will only help Gordon's clicks. Monson may be the most profitable thing the Trib has, and they are not going to let go, they are gong to milk it.
    Last edited by concerned; 07-18-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I couple of months ago I was teasing Peggy Fletcher Stack, the Trib religion reporter, at a party. I have often been amazed that her articles about the LDS church in particular get as many as 4000 reader comments. I said that the LDS Church must be keeping both SLC newspapers afloat.

In seriousness, I asked her if her articles generated the most traffic of any reporter at the Trib. She said no, it was Gordon Monson. She said she was second, and I had the impression that whoever is 3rd isn't even close to them. I was surprised that she was so aware precisely of how many clicks they get, but sounds like it is closely tied to all the reporters' job security, which can be tenuous these days.

Anyway, all of this hubub will only help Gordon's clicks. Monson may be the most profitable thing the Trib has, and they are not going to let go, they are gong to milk it.
    At my last newspaper, we had a monitor in the newsroom that displayed the number of unique page views for every story, for both the day and the week. I've never heard of an instance of job security being tied to those numbers, but I'm certain those numbers are used to determine what should receive more emphasis. At my last newspaper, a good, provocative Boise State football piece would receive thousands of views and be the highest-viewed story for that day, and often for the week.

My guess is Paul Rolly would be No. 3 at the Trib.

I know that when the trib had several rounds of layoffs a while or two ago, reporters were very nervous. They were very conscious of their clicks, not only their own but the beat they covered, as a way to survive. They knew it was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don't disagree with your post, but I do have a question.

What is your take on the way Monson seems to dance the line between reporter and columnist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear this claim and I ask myself, "What news has Monson broke recently?" Part of the role of a good columnist is that he's able to craft what you and I think of as opinions and present them as fact. Also, given the forum Monson has, who's to say he hasn't gotten tips on things before and passed them on to the beat writer?

I know that when the trib had several rounds of layoffs a while or two ago, reporters were very nervous. They were very conscious of their clicks, not only their own but the beat they covered, as a way to survive. They knew it was a factor.
    Of course. My point was that I've never been aware of an instance where a reporter had marching orders to get X number of clicks on a daily basis. Obviously, when many jobs are on the line, page views could be a good measuring stick to determine who to keep.

I hear this claim and I ask myself, "What news has Monson broke recently?" Part of the role of a good columnist is that he's able to craft what you and I think of as opinions and present them as fact. Also, given the forum Monson has, who's to say he hasn't gotten tips on things before and passed them on to the beat writer?
    I don't think any of us have ever been informed or moved by anything Monson wrote. He's a pot stirrer. That's his job. That's what he's good at. We saw the depth of his investigative skills and the quality of his sources last year when he reported that Kyle Whittingham to BYU was a done deal.

I figure you can make far it as a journalist if you are a combination of the following:

1) A great writer
    2) A great investigator
    3) Willing to be a pot stirrer

With Monson, it's all #3. That's fine. He's hardly the only hack out there making a living by being a pot stirrer. I have no qualms about revoking the credentials of a pot stirrer from time to time, though. It doesn't deny me access to anything of value.

Im a little surprised that Peggy isn't running away with the page views battle, but I figured that she and Gordon were the top 2. I agree with Pat that Rolly is likely third, or maybe Robert Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think any of us have ever been informed or moved by anything Monson wrote. He's a pot stirrer. That's his job. That's what he's good at. We saw the depth of his investigative skills and the quality of his sources last year when he reported that Kyle Whittingham to BYU was a done deal.

I figure you can make far it as a journalist if you are a combination of the following:

1) A great writer
    2) A great investigator

With Monson, it's all #3. That's fine. He's hardly the only hack out there making a living by being a pot stirrer. I have no qualms about revoking the credentials of a pot stirrer from time to time, though. It doesn't deny me access to anything of value.
    I remember hearing old Comrade Crimson tell a story about how he went to UF.N and reported that some coach from some small school had been named as the replacement for Urban. He was just doing it to get a thrill. Apparently, Monson saw it and went with it on air. Apparently this caused the site to crash. When it was pointed out to monson that he had been had by a message board troll, he became indignant and bashed on such people in a column. Its been a while and maybe that story is common knowledge, but i think its great. I guess thats why Ive given RSL somewhat of a pass here. I just like seeing folks stick it to gordon, although as youve all said, he will turn out to be the winner here.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Im a little surprised that Peggy isn't running away with the page views battle, but I figured that she and Gordon were the top 2. I agree with Pat that Rolly is likely third, or maybe Robert Kirby.

I remember hearing old Comrade Crimson tell a story about how he went to UF.N and reported that some coach from some small school had been named as the replacement for Urban. He was just doing it to get a thrill. Apparently, Monson saw it and went with it on air. Apparently this caused the site to crash. When it was pointed out to monson that he had been had by a message board troll, he became indignant and bashed on such people in a column. Its been a while and maybe that story is common knowledge, but i think its great. I guess thats why Ive given RSL somewhat of a pass here. I just like seeing folks stick it to gordon, although as youve all said, he will turn out to be the winner here.
    Yep, a lot of us were on uf.n for that. Mr Crimson said posted that Tom Amstutz of Toledo was on his way to Utah. If memory serves this was for a replacement for McBride instead of Urban but I could be wrong about that. And yes, Gordon went with that on his radio show that day.

If Monson evokes these kinds of emotions from you or anyone else, guess what? He's already won. because he's doing his job by doing so, even if his critics don't recognize it. From a pure sportswriting perspective, Monson's writing is good, not great.
    Mockery and general apathy means he's won? I honestly can't think of the last time I've read a Monson article. Over the past 4 or 5 years I could probably count what he's written without taking off my shoes.

When I call him a hack journalist (which you have to admit when a journalist imagines something, reports it as fact, then when he gets called on it he says it is what he imagined happened and he is just a columnist - that is my definition of hack). Ironically you point out the real reason newspapers are dying on the vine. They play for clicks rather than maintaining integrity. It may be a decent short term play but it is a poor long term play. People have left for other sources because they have more reliability and integrity - which is kind of hard to imagine.

You talk about what journalists are thinking as if that has any meaning or merit with the people. We don't really care what you are laughing at, nor what you are concerned about.

The death of newspapers is one of those textbook failure to adapt and so they no longer exist stories. Worse, they mortgaged the one thing they had over everyone, and that was journalistic integrity. The fact that doesn't even register with you as a former journalist is a bit of an indictment.

I refuse to read anything written by Monson and don't listen to his show (it doesn't matter if it is pro Utah or not). I do not want to contribute to his living in any way possible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1) A great writer
    2) A great investigator

The only thing we saw from the Kyle-to-BYU piece was how easy it is for the right people to manipulate the media. The media is manipulated every day, to varying degrees. If RSL had done a better job of it on its end, it wouldn't have taken the step of revoking Monson's credentials. And if Chris Hill allowed for a little more transparency on his end in these matters, the member of Kyle's family who was feeding Monson information would've been closed off.

Monson thrives when it's clear one side isn't being forthcoming about the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Mockery and general apathy means he's won? I honestly can't think of the last time I've read a Monson article. Over the past 4 or 5 years I could probably count what he's written without taking off my shoes.

When I call him a hack journalist (which you have to admit when a journalist imagines something, reports it as fact, then when he gets called on it he says it is what he imagined happened and he is just a columnist - that is my definition of hack). Ironically you point out the real reason newspapers are dying on the vine. They play for clicks rather than maintaining integrity. It may be a decent short term play but it is a poor long term play. People have left for other sources because they have more reliability and integrity - which is kind of hard to imagine.

You talk about what journalists are thinking as if that has any meaning or merit with the people. We don't really care what you are laughing at, nor what you are concerned about.

The death of newspapers is one of those textbook failure to adapt and so they no longer exist stories. Worse, they mortgaged the one thing they had over everyone, and that was journalistic integrity. The fact that doesn't even register with you as a former journalist is a bit of an indictment.
    That you think newspapers are dying/dead because of a lack of journalistic integrity is an indictment of your ignorance of the financial side of newspapers, which started a steady slide once family-owned papers were swallowed up by big conglomerates whose primary goal was to make Wall Street happy.

Newspapers also failed miserably in owning their online product and being a trendsetter in that domain.

You can find thousands of pieces in which newspaper editors, publishers, etc. own up to the mistakes that have caused their current state. Lack of journalistic integrity ain't gonna be one of them.

That you think newspapers are dying/dead because of a lack of journalistic integrity is an indictment of your ignorance of the financial side of newspapers, which started a steady slide once family-owned papers were swallowed up by big conglomerates whose primary goal was to make Wall Street happy.

Newspapers also failed miserably in owning their online product and being a trendsetter in that domain.

You can find thousands of pieces in which newspaper editors, publishers, etc. own up to the mistakes that have caused their current state. Lack of journalistic integrity ain't gonna be one of them.

Actually I'm all too familiar with the financial side both the old model and the new. Late adoption / continued refusal to adapt to the trends is the largest part of the component, but integrity and a trusted reliable source was the differentiator. Years of credibility flushed down the toilet now in the pursuit of clicks in the cheapest way possible. They were a trusted source, but they mortgaged that and now are attempting (poorly) to play catch up. Then they failed to maintain that core differentiator. Like I said, textbook failure to adapt so they no longer exist stories.

Take my industry, real estate. I'm watching Realtors mortgage the one thing they have that nobody else does (1. Network of qualified buyers and; 2. Industry experience) and pissing that to the wind for leads from Zillow. Real estate agents as you know them won't exist in 15 years.

Same to be said for newspapers. You guys pissed away what you had because of speed and then to catch up pissed away the one thing that would have drawn readers back.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Yep, a lot of us were on uf.n for that. Mr Crimson said posted that Tom Amstutz of Toledo was on his way to Utah. If memory serves this was for a replacement for McBride instead of Urban but I could be wrong about that. And yes, Gordon went with that on his radio show that day.
    I believe Mr. C still regards his Amstutz hoax as one of his greatest online accomplishments.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I believe Mr. C still regards his Amstutz hoax as one of his greatest online accomplishments.
    Say what you must about Mr C (I've always got along with him) but it was one of the finer moments for utefans.

Say what you must about Mr C (I've always got along with him) but it was one of the finer moments for utefans.
    I remember one morning when I had gotten to work and checked the boards etc., only to read of several transfers from the Hoops program, namely, Justin Hawkins. So I emailed DJ and PK and asked if they had anyone chasing the story. They read that email on the air and then said they'd heard nothing of it. A few hours later..."as first reported here on (whichever station they were on back then) Justin Hawkins will transfer from Utah."

Just call me scoop!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I have no problem with him at all and have always gotten along with him (although I think he is currently mad at me for some reason) -- when he pulled that stunt half of me was laughing and the other half wanted to wring his neck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have no problem with him at all and have always gotten along with him (although I think he is currently mad at me for some reason) -- when he pulled that stunt half of me was laughing and the other half wanted to wring his neck.
    Dealing with him is a lot like dealing with a house cat. He either likes you or he doesn't and theres seldom any rhyme or reason and its very hard to go from one to the other.

The death of newspapers is one of those textbook failure to adapt and so they no longer exist stories.
    I don't know all of the factors involved. One that is missing from the conversation so far is the way the internet taught us that anyone - or at least lots of people - could write as well or better than professional journalists. Sports blogs written by everyday fans became more entertaining and sometimes even more informative than the stuff the professionals were putting out.

Not really related, but I am always amused by the journalists on twitter rushing to congratulate other journalists on breaking "stories." Congratulations on letting me know about that trade 15 minutes before it was about to go public anyway! Way to go! If someone is actually digging into something that would never otherwise see the light of day, I'm very impressed and appreciative. If someone is buddies with the AD and releases something that is about to be released anyway, whoopee.

I don't know if you are a realtor or not, but I hope you are right about realtors being extinct in 15 years. They seem so unnecessary and cost so much. We went back and forth on whether to use one when we sold our Wisconsin home. We decided to list it ourselves. I'm so glad we did. We saved thousands. When we bought in CO, we did all the work of picking homes to see on Zillow and Trulia. We arranged visits and then met our realtor at the home. Not sure what she was there for, but it didn't cost us anything. When we did buy, we kept emailing the owner to negotiate, and the selling agent was ticked every time. He really wanted that middleman role.

I don't get the "freedom of the press" argument. RSL is a privately owned business. Amy Donaldson argued that they play in a stadium funded by taxpayers dollars, but that seems a stretch to make them a public entity. Could we do FOIA requests to get their emails? Of course not.

The SL Trib acting like they are some guardian of the public trust in the world of sports is a joke. They are a private entity themselves. It is self-serving for them to argue they have some sort of right of access, when that access ultimately just helps the bottom line of their owners.

Press credentials have to be applied for, and the team can approve or deny the requests. Why they approve or deny is their own prerogative. They may be picking a fight with someone that "buys ink by the barrel", but that is their choice. Their decision making in this case is going to be driven by their priorities first to their financials, and second to their fan loyalty (and maybe third to their pride/ego). If they feel that GoMo is damaging either or both of those, or does not have the ability to damage them and is too damn annoying, then they can justify their decision.

IMO, Monson is an ass, and I never read his stuff. I'm no fan of RSL or soccer in general. I just find the rhetoric in this argument interesting.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I don't know all of the factors involved. One that is missing from the conversation so far is the way the internet taught us that anyone - or at least lots of people - could write as well or better than professional journalists. Sports blogs written by everyday fans became more entertaining and sometimes even more informative than the stuff the professionals were putting out.

Not really related, but I am always amused by the journalists on twitter rushing to congratulate other journalists on breaking "stories." Congratulations on letting me know about that trade 15 minutes before it was about to go public anyway! Way to go! If someone is actually digging into something that would never otherwise see the light of day, I'm very impressed and appreciative. If someone is buddies with the AD and releases something that is about to be released anyway, whoopee.

I don't know if you are a realtor or not, but I hope you are right about realtors being extinct in 15 years. They seem so unnecessary and cost so much. We went back and forth on whether to use one when we sold our Wisconsin home. We decided to list it ourselves. I'm so glad we did. We saved thousands. When we bought in CO, we did all the work of picking homes to see on Zillow and Trulia. We arranged visits and then met our realtor at the home. Not sure what she was there for, but it didn't cost us anything. When we did buy, we kept emailing the owner to negotiate, and the selling agent was ticked every time. He really wanted that middleman role.
    I would say in most instances the quality of the writing of the people on the internet was less. What the newspapers couldn't see is that these people would respond FASTER (and you alluded to that) than the newspapers had in the past. In other words, when the newspapers sat on their hands and didn't see the web for what it was, they were used to a 24 hour news cycle, which allowed for plenty of time to get the story, investigate, get the facts straight and publish. Even TV and radio had an element of this and a central commitment to journalistic integrity.

But when bloggers and other things (this was before social media) started getting scoops and not worrying so much about accuracy and more about speed the papers were forced to keep up. So in retrospect, had the papers saw the web as a digital medium to spread the news, they could have controlled that and in turn controlled the quality (and also speed). But to keep up they do the same thing, report whatever you hear with no accuracy and then correct it all after.

Proof of this is the news that was widespread yesterday that the Baton Rouge shooter was a white supremacist. I heard that about a dozen times before the truth came out, but it moves with so much speed nobody even needs to apologize anymore.

I for one am tired of that and if there was a news source out there that didn't follow this model, but rather focused on accuracy and integrity I'd turn to them because when it comes to the web, while speed is important, trust is what keeps people coming back.

This guy gets it.

Gordy has been reinstated by RSL.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4133523...une-columnists

I like how they worded it, that it was not their decision but the leagues.

C'est la vie.

Gordy has been reinstated by RSL.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4133523...une-columnists

I like how they worded it, that it was not their decision but the leagues.

C'est la vie.
    Thank goodness. I look forward to reading all 0 of the columns he will now write about RSL.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Sounds like Greg Wrubell is leaving KSL. No word yet as to what his role will be going forward but I assume he is going to be involved with BYU somehow.........maybe BYU TV?

Sounds like Greg Wrubell is leaving KSL. No word yet as to what his role will be going forward but I assume he is going to be involved with BYU somehow.........maybe BYU TV?
    A few years ago when IMG got the contract to produce BYU sports broadcasts away from KSL, Greg Wrubell went to work for them. He's been primarily employed by IMG since the change and his work for KSL has been secondary. My guess is that he is leaving KSL completely behind now and will focus solely on his IMG work. He may even do non-BYU work for them now in addition to his BYU play-by-play responsibilities.
    We're up to snuff, we never bluff, we're game for any fuss. Or at least we used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    A few years ago when IMG got the contract to produce BYU sports broadcasts away from KSL, Greg Wrubell went to work for them. He's been primarily employed by IMG since the change and his work for KSL has been secondary. My guess is that he is leaving KSL completely behind now and will focus solely on his IMG work. He may even do non-BYU work for them now in addition to his BYU play-by-play responsibilities.
    I did not know this. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Is there a possibility Greg could be moving on to another school that's an IMG client?

Is there a possibility Greg could be moving on to another school that's an IMG client?
    Let this happen. He is their biggest source of information and he helps over-inflate their opinions.