Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Uni's coming

New Uni's coming

Interesting note from the Desperate News. The Utes "currently working with the [Under Armor] to redesign and unveil new football and basketball uniforms." I think most people that know me, know that I have some great sources and am usually aware of the specific design changes coming down the pipe...but they've kept oddly quiet on this one.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

I'm just going to turn this into the general repository for college football uni-related news.

Anyhoo, Georgia updates their entire brand. Pretty good except for Nike's giant collar fascination of late
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Word is Basketball will get the redesign first, with the uniforms showing up for this upcoming season. We won't see Football until 2014, then other sports after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Word is Basketball will get the redesign first, with the uniforms showing up for this upcoming season. We won't see Football until 2014, then other sports after that.
    Which doesn't really fit with their recent MO of doing exactly what Georgia (and countless others) did above. Big, flashy, brand updates to generate a lot of attention. It would seem they really value getting eyes on Maryland, South Carolina, and Northwestern (and maybe even CSU)...but Utah is an afterthought with TTech and South Florida. Hell, remember when they didn't even have our uni's ready on time 2 years ago?!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Which doesn't really fit with their recent MO of doing exactly what Georgia (and countless others) did above. Big, flashy, brand updates to generate a lot of attention. It would seem they really value getting eyes on Maryland, South Carolina, and Northwestern (and maybe even CSU)...but Utah is an afterthought with TTech and South Florida. Hell, remember when they didn't even have our uni's ready on time 2 years ago?!
    There may have been other issues there.

Given how few schools have deals with UA like we do I don't worry too much about it.

I think some of the rebranding may be at the request if Utah in terms of time frame

I know UA treats us better than Nike ever did.

Cal released their new uni's, font, and logo a few hours ago...here they are!

UConn releases its new logos. I think this rebrand is a downgrade. Thoughts?

Somewhere in there is a copyright violation:

"This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

It's pretty awful, but not nearly as bad as the '59 version.

PS: did you see this Marshall fan concept?
    Last edited by jrj84105; 04-13-2013 at 10:01 PM.

UNC revealed their new uni's. There's black, there's chrome (not pictured), there's italicization. It's all bad.

Didn't the unis just get redesigned the last couple of years? I don't see what changes are going to be made at this point. My guess would be the drum and feather are on the way out and the Block U will be the only symbol on the helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacana Ute View Post
    Didn't the unis just get redesigned the last couple of years? I don't see what changes are going to be made at this point. My guess would be the drum and feather are on the way out and the Block U will be the only symbol on the helmets.
    Still a few years before that happens. Uniforms typically have 2-4 year timetables, which means we are due. As the first article indicates, there is going to be movement to spotlight a mountain motif on our uniforms...likely based on the topographical map that already appears on them (IMO). If we read the uni trends out there a couple things could make an appearance: new colors; a helmet that feature only a motif , rather than a logo; chrome, etc...

I guess I just don't understand the uniform movement these days. I for one am not a fan of all the alternate motif uniforms. The whole mountain motif thing was a disastrous look for the Jazz back in the 90s and early 2000s so I can't say I look forward to anything along those lines. I don't care for the topographical map stuff either. But I suppose the more uniforms you produce, the more replicas you can sell to the fans. Personally I was fine with just adding the black unis and helmets, although i don't really like the matte style on the black helmets. Other than Maryland, I don't recall UA really doing much motif, but I suppose you have to follow Nike's lead.

The modern uniform trend, while certainly about money, is also about brand buzz and recruiting.
    New football powers: Modernist uniforms represent our new status of visibility. Coming out in new uniforms represents progress and moving forward, rather than being bogged down in our woeful past (whether or not we're any good). A handful of teams have connected their brand to past iconic performance and years as top dogs (the Notre Dame's and Alabama's of the world). The simplicity of those uniforms really only benefits those teams because it supports the tradition behind the brand. We have to build our iconicness, not free-ride.
    Athletics companies: Hey, remember us? We haven't advertised to you for a few minutes, so we're going to rebrand your alma mater, knowing the news will move swiftly across the interweb. We're also going to use this to move products entirely unrelated to the one's we plan on selling to your school's fanbase. Nike's color "volt" was nothing until Oregon wore it in the BCS Championship. Now it's pretty standard on athletics gear from every apparel company. Just Do It.
    Recruiting: The buzz from the aforementioned events happens to impress recruits...who like any teenager want what's new and cool. Like it or not, recruits can be pickier than they ever have before and thus they can make choices about schools based on things like uniforms or school colors. Who doesn't want swag? It may as well be from a brand you prefer, in colors or patterns you like, right?

That said, I don't think Utah has a choice but to follow modernism. We don't have an old, classic brand. Being shitty in the 70's and 80's will do that. I don't think we have to go all-out Maryland, but I think UA's motif work on Northwestern was inspired and makes me hopeful. They are apparently doing one for CSU, as well. Personally, since we ARE getting a mountain motif...I'd take the Jazz over the inscrutable topo map. The matte black look has really been overplayed, but I've never really found any of Utah's helmets to be anything special (i guess the candy-apples were pretty neat, but still).

I did like what UA did with Northwestern, it was more of a classic look as opposed to the modern mess of Maryland. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of white helmet/Uni combination similar to Texas A&M from last year. I just don't know what sort of motif you put on the helmet other than the block U or the drum and feather. But I certainly agree with the idea of producing different unis for recruits. I believe it was that Eubanks kid who committed to ASU over the U that said he would have committed to Utah if they had the Black unis and helmet when he was looking. Whether that is entirely true or not is debatable but you are spot on in Utah needed to be more cutting edge since nobody outside of the region really even knows who Utah is due to the lack of a national brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacana Ute View Post
    I believe it was that Eubanks kid who committed to ASU over the U that said he would have committed to Utah if they had the Black unis and helmet when he was looking.
    If this is even remotely true, I might start drinking this very day.

UNC revealed their new uni's. There's black, there's chrome (not pictured), there's italicization. It's all bad.

They look like the Carolina Panthers.

i should also note that I'm not going to post EVERY new football uni that comes out...just the ones that I suspect will get the most interest. Sorry Ole Miss...

UConn's new helmets are awful.

ncf_u_uconnlogo_dj_600.jpg

Here's a link to the full rebrand with all new uni's
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 04-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The UConn helmets would be cool as an alternate helmet, with a pro combat type uni.

Here's WVU's reveal. That's gotta be one of the most unusual numeral fonts I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The UConn helmets would be cool as an alternate helmet, with a pro combat type uni.
    I loved their navy and white look w the old school block C. These are terrible as regular helmets.

Really for Utah to compete will all these is add a white helmet.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Here's WVU's reveal. That's gotta be one of the most unusual numeral fonts I've ever seen.
    Thoroughly enjoy the badass posing at the end of that video. lol

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    Really for Utah to compete will all these is add a white helmet.
    Your right could compete add white helmet in future uniforms cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    Your right could compete add white helmet in future uniforms cool.
    That opinion good differently me feel that ok though

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I wouldn't mind this as the white helmet:

http://thedahlelama.com/uu-white-white.png
    I have to admit that is really sweet.

So do we have a release date for the new unis yet?