Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Uni's coming

Hybrid View

New Uni's coming

Interesting note from the Desperate News. The Utes "currently working with the [Under Armor] to redesign and unveil new football and basketball uniforms." I think most people that know me, know that I have some great sources and am usually aware of the specific design changes coming down the pipe...but they've kept oddly quiet on this one.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

I'm just going to turn this into the general repository for college football uni-related news.

Anyhoo, Georgia updates their entire brand. Pretty good except for Nike's giant collar fascination of late
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Word is Basketball will get the redesign first, with the uniforms showing up for this upcoming season. We won't see Football until 2014, then other sports after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Word is Basketball will get the redesign first, with the uniforms showing up for this upcoming season. We won't see Football until 2014, then other sports after that.
    Which doesn't really fit with their recent MO of doing exactly what Georgia (and countless others) did above. Big, flashy, brand updates to generate a lot of attention. It would seem they really value getting eyes on Maryland, South Carolina, and Northwestern (and maybe even CSU)...but Utah is an afterthought with TTech and South Florida. Hell, remember when they didn't even have our uni's ready on time 2 years ago?!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Which doesn't really fit with their recent MO of doing exactly what Georgia (and countless others) did above. Big, flashy, brand updates to generate a lot of attention. It would seem they really value getting eyes on Maryland, South Carolina, and Northwestern (and maybe even CSU)...but Utah is an afterthought with TTech and South Florida. Hell, remember when they didn't even have our uni's ready on time 2 years ago?!
    There may have been other issues there.

Given how few schools have deals with UA like we do I don't worry too much about it.

I think some of the rebranding may be at the request if Utah in terms of time frame

I know UA treats us better than Nike ever did.

Cal released their new uni's, font, and logo a few hours ago...here they are!

UConn releases its new logos. I think this rebrand is a downgrade. Thoughts?

Didn't the unis just get redesigned the last couple of years? I don't see what changes are going to be made at this point. My guess would be the drum and feather are on the way out and the Block U will be the only symbol on the helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacana Ute View Post
    Didn't the unis just get redesigned the last couple of years? I don't see what changes are going to be made at this point. My guess would be the drum and feather are on the way out and the Block U will be the only symbol on the helmets.
    Still a few years before that happens. Uniforms typically have 2-4 year timetables, which means we are due. As the first article indicates, there is going to be movement to spotlight a mountain motif on our uniforms...likely based on the topographical map that already appears on them (IMO). If we read the uni trends out there a couple things could make an appearance: new colors; a helmet that feature only a motif , rather than a logo; chrome, etc...

I guess I just don't understand the uniform movement these days. I for one am not a fan of all the alternate motif uniforms. The whole mountain motif thing was a disastrous look for the Jazz back in the 90s and early 2000s so I can't say I look forward to anything along those lines. I don't care for the topographical map stuff either. But I suppose the more uniforms you produce, the more replicas you can sell to the fans. Personally I was fine with just adding the black unis and helmets, although i don't really like the matte style on the black helmets. Other than Maryland, I don't recall UA really doing much motif, but I suppose you have to follow Nike's lead.

The modern uniform trend, while certainly about money, is also about brand buzz and recruiting.
    New football powers: Modernist uniforms represent our new status of visibility. Coming out in new uniforms represents progress and moving forward, rather than being bogged down in our woeful past (whether or not we're any good). A handful of teams have connected their brand to past iconic performance and years as top dogs (the Notre Dame's and Alabama's of the world). The simplicity of those uniforms really only benefits those teams because it supports the tradition behind the brand. We have to build our iconicness, not free-ride.
    Athletics companies: Hey, remember us? We haven't advertised to you for a few minutes, so we're going to rebrand your alma mater, knowing the news will move swiftly across the interweb. We're also going to use this to move products entirely unrelated to the one's we plan on selling to your school's fanbase. Nike's color "volt" was nothing until Oregon wore it in the BCS Championship. Now it's pretty standard on athletics gear from every apparel company. Just Do It.
    Recruiting: The buzz from the aforementioned events happens to impress recruits...who like any teenager want what's new and cool. Like it or not, recruits can be pickier than they ever have before and thus they can make choices about schools based on things like uniforms or school colors. Who doesn't want swag? It may as well be from a brand you prefer, in colors or patterns you like, right?

That said, I don't think Utah has a choice but to follow modernism. We don't have an old, classic brand. Being shitty in the 70's and 80's will do that. I don't think we have to go all-out Maryland, but I think UA's motif work on Northwestern was inspired and makes me hopeful. They are apparently doing one for CSU, as well. Personally, since we ARE getting a mountain motif...I'd take the Jazz over the inscrutable topo map. The matte black look has really been overplayed, but I've never really found any of Utah's helmets to be anything special (i guess the candy-apples were pretty neat, but still).

I did like what UA did with Northwestern, it was more of a classic look as opposed to the modern mess of Maryland. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of white helmet/Uni combination similar to Texas A&M from last year. I just don't know what sort of motif you put on the helmet other than the block U or the drum and feather. But I certainly agree with the idea of producing different unis for recruits. I believe it was that Eubanks kid who committed to ASU over the U that said he would have committed to Utah if they had the Black unis and helmet when he was looking. Whether that is entirely true or not is debatable but you are spot on in Utah needed to be more cutting edge since nobody outside of the region really even knows who Utah is due to the lack of a national brand.

So do we have a release date for the new unis yet?

The plan is to start with hoops and go through each sport. Football will come for 2014

Ok, we've got a couple of official releases today...

First, SDSU has updated their brand and will no longer use gold (Look close, the helmet is just red, black, and white now). They also now have their own font, as you can see.

Baylor confirmed their look for next year will include C3PO's head...

BJSOD3uCMAAJ8x0.jpg
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 05-28-2013 at 12:31 PM.

This is becoming the, "Everyone but Utah is getting new Uni's thread".

Wow, Arizona. Abandoning your classic triangle-stripes for that? A bad gradient effect? Italicized numbers? and worst of all...a monochrome red uniform? You can't spell monochrome without "oh no"

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    This is becoming the, "Everyone but Utah is getting new Uni's thread".
    Heh. That was my thought as well.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

And this has to be the fail of the year so far....wow, UCF...

BJtuFTDCMAANFjv.jpg
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 05-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.

If UA and Utah ever did something similar to what Indiana is doing, here's the helmet combos I would prefer:

-Crimson w/DNF
    -Matte black w/DNF
    -Silver w/interlocking U's (1960's throwback)
    -White w/block U (possibly red or gray for the facemask; I can't decide which would be best)
    Last edited by Redbird; 06-09-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    If UA and Utah ever did something similar to what Indiana is doing, here's the helmet combos I would prefer:

-Crimson w/DNF
    -Matte black w/DNF
    -Silver w/interlocking U's (1960's throwback)
    -White w/block U (possibly red or gray for the facemask; I can't decide which would be best)
    I'd like to see a red block U on white and vice versa. I think that would be a fun alternative helmet. Sure, it's a little obvious and generic, but I also like that it's so collegiate and classic.

At a recent expo, Riddell and Hydrographics (the people behind every noteworthy helmet of the past few years) discussed the idea of team-centric facemasks. Today, these images were floated down the internet. They look to be a fan mock-up, but unintentionally reveal the potential horror trend that may be coming to college football.

ba_masks.jpg

Well, turns out those face masks are REAL.

"Arizona confirmed that the helmets were not being considered for on-field use — not yet, anyway — with a spokesperson saying there was “no chance” of them seeing the field. But there has been no official statement on exactly what the helmets featuring the new face masks will be used for. One possibility is prominent placement in the brand-new Lowell-Stevens Football Facility, which will open this year as part of a massive renovation project at Arizona Stadium."

"While on-field use would seem to be the logical next step in a college football landscape in which uniform ubiquity is considered the worst thing ever, one of the holdups is getting the face masks certified by NOCSAE, the standard safety certifier for athletic equipment such as helmets. MacFerran said he is “in the process” of getting certification for his face masks."

I just hope we hold onto the drum and feather... I am not overly impressed by any of these "new" uniforms.

And what's used on fan shirts and what the University will use on uniforms are two different worlds

Will it happen? The first pics of a rumored chrome Washington helmet appear. Chrome is definitely the new black.
    The file is too big to post, so warm up your clicking finger.

http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/uploads/UW.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of chrome unless it's already one of your colors. Since one of UW's colors is gold, it fits well. For us it would just look odd.

Looking at those pics, I like our facility better.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Looking at those pics, I like our facility better.
    Ours is a good reflection of our program's culture (and Kyle's style) -- pretty much all business, with lots of pride.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell