Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Uni's coming

I want a chromed silver helmet with a grey uni.

Go home, Georgia Tech. You're drunk.

People often ask me why I'm not in favor of Utah using a traditional look over making a new one for ourselves. NC State does a good job illustrating my contentions. Red and white teams have a propensity towards "safe" uniform designs that are completely interchangeable among schools. I'm leary of what UA will do to us next season, but I'm also no fan of looking like everyone else.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

And now for a team that very rarely gets it wrong...and has gotten it right, yet again.
    BQ6Nv_kCEAELGPA.jpg
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

There's throwbacks...and then. there's. throwbacks.

CSU reveals their innaugural UA uniforms. Biggest surprise is that the school apparently chose not to use the new "bone horn" design on the helmet

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    CSU reveals their innaugural UA uniforms. Biggest surprise is that the school apparently chose not to use the new "bone horn" design on the helmet

The video shows the helmets with horns

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The video shows the helmets with horns
    It shows the standard CSU helmet, not the articulated "bone horn" that I linked to in my prior post.

God, I bleeping hate topography maps.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    God, I bleeping hate topography maps.
    Yep. But someone up at the U. thinks it's a great idea.

Sigh. Tennessee...

I may be in a camp of one but I like the topography maps on the uniforms. What sets Utah apart is the amazing mountains and I love how the topography reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
    I may be in a camp of one but I like the topography maps on the uniforms. What sets Utah apart is the amazing mountains and I love how the topography reflects that.
    You are in a camp of 2. Let's name this camp together. I would suggest something that incorporates either the word "Two," or the concept of two.

I'm not sure that our mountains really set us apart. I, too, am very partial to the Beehive State. It courses through my veins like a drug.

That being said, Washington, Oregon, California and even Colorado all have mountains that are....dare I say it? Equally if not more impressive.

What truly sets Utah apart as a state is our culture, if we are to be honest. I think we ought to have a background of Moroni's, Books of Mormon, Wagon Wheels and jello packets. And watered down beer.

If not, and if you really want to go with geography, then it is our southern region that sets us apart. Nowhere else in the world is like it. It truly is unique and unparalleled.

I'd drop the topo lines in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    even Colorado
    even Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    You are in a camp of 2. Let's name this camp together. I would suggest something that incorporates either the word "Two," or the concept of two.
    I'd suggest the name include the word "camp," also, as many people go to the "amazing mountains" to camp.

Perhaps Camp Two.

There is a place nicknamed Camp 18 in Oregon's amazing mountains of the coast range.

Camp Two seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    even Colorado?
    Look, it's not easy trying to generate a rivalry, got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I'd suggest the name include the word "camp," also, as many people go to the "amazing mountains" to camp.

Perhaps Camp Two.

There is a place nicknamed Camp 18 in Oregon's amazing mountains of the coast range.

Camp Two seems about right.
    If we are just going basic name, I would suggest something like Cayump Tyooo, with a full on Cedar City-Loa accent. That's really unique to Utah.

Look, I've been all about creating a Utah-centric, unique motif for our uniforms that could set us apart in an otherwise unremarkable field of red and white teams....but it ain't a topography map.

If you look at the 4 other motifs that UA has developed (Maryland's shell pattern, Hawaii's flowers, BC's stained glass, and Northwestern's new Northwestern stripe), ours sticks out in how utterly befuddling it is. Guess what? When people think of Utah and mountains...they don't picture squiggly lines. When this motif was released, most reviewers thought it was just a dumb pattern...akin to the mess that you see on those Adidas uni's I've been posting all off season. Any potential meaning and hipness to a design is lost when people have to have it explained to them.

The fact is, UA got too clever with this. I can understand not wanting to simply put some triangles on a uniform and call it mountains...which has been done a lot. The designers, however, went too far the other direction and failed to create anything recognizably mountain-like, Utah-related, or iconic.

Worst of all, the early, confused reviews of the pattern are going to be repeated more vociferously when we release our new uni's that heavily draw on this pattern. We are in danger of having some "ugliest uniforms ever" chatter around this, unless there has been some major retooling behind the scenes.

I like the topo lines as well.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Look, I've been all about creating a Utah-centric, unique motif for our uniforms that could set us apart in an otherwise unremarkable field of red and white teams....but it ain't a topography map.

If you look at the 4 other motifs that UA has developed (Maryland's shell pattern, Hawaii's flowers, BC's stained glass, and Northwestern's new Northwestern stripe), ours sticks out in how utterly befuddling it is. Guess what? When people think of Utah and mountains...they don't picture squiggly lines. When this motif was released, most reviewers thought it was just a dumb pattern...akin to the mess that you see on those Adidas uni's I've been posting all off season. Any potential meaning and hipness to a design is lost when people have to have it explained to them.

The fact is, UA got too clever with this. I can understand not wanting to simply put some triangles on a uniform and call it mountains...which has been done a lot. The designers, however, went too far the other direction and failed to create anything recognizably mountain-like, Utah-related, or iconic.

Worst of all, the early, confused reviews of the pattern are going to be repeated more vociferously when we release our new uni's that heavily draw on this pattern. We are in danger of having some "ugliest uniforms ever" chatter around this, unless there has been some major retooling behind the scenes.

What other UA team is wearing white shells on opening day?

Also, this is a thing...

TCU adding red highlights to their uni's for the opener with LSU to signify blood. . .

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...232803612.html

I suppose the next logical step will be the helmets spraying actual blood at opponents. I could get on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapaho Tribe View Post
    I suppose the next logical step will be the helmets spraying actual blood at opponents. I could get on board with that.
    epic. the Utah can spry arrows?

Man. Even Fresno St has white helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    Man. Even Fresno St has white helmets.
    All the more reason to not get them

Today saw the unveiling of a new UA motif...Temple's owl feathers. It looked almost as painfully stupid as our little squiggly lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    All the more reason to not get them
    I also use Fresno as a good case of why we should never wear monochrome red.

UA has unveiled a uniform reveal page on their website. According to this, these are the remaining football uniforms that are going to be revealed this season:
    /colorado-state-university-home-uniforms
    /university-of-south-carolina-gamecocks-away-uniforms
    /colorado-state-university-away-uniforms
    /texas-tech-black-guns-up-uniforms
    /texas-tech-gray-guns-up-uniforms
    /university-of-maryland-pride-uniforms
    /texas-tech-lone-survivor-uniforms
    /northwestern-university-wounded-warrior-uniforms
    /university-of-hawaii-rainbow-warrior-throwback-uniforms
    /university-of-toledo-power-in-pink-uniforms
    /texas-tech-lone-star-uniforms

UCLA unveils an LA Nights uniform for the second year in a row...gotta say last year's were superior.

UA has unveiled a uniform reveal page on their website. According to this, these are the remaining football uniforms that are going to be revealed this season:
    /colorado-state-university-home-uniforms
    /university-of-south-carolina-gamecocks-away-uniforms
    /colorado-state-university-away-uniforms
    /texas-tech-black-guns-up-uniforms
    /texas-tech-gray-guns-up-uniforms
    /university-of-maryland-pride-uniforms
    /texas-tech-lone-survivor-uniforms
    /northwestern-university-wounded-warrior-uniforms
    /university-of-hawaii-rainbow-warrior-throwback-uniforms
    /university-of-toledo-power-in-pink-uniforms
    /texas-tech-lone-star-uniforms
    I'm quoting this so it makes it to the next page.

Here are 5 facts that I bet many of you didn't know about apparel contracts.