Thread: Firearms in the United States

Banned

Firearms in the United States

Where to start this thread with all that is going on surrounding guns in this country?

From my perspective in the American West, these types of reactions by police on the East coast worry me.

If people here in the West believe that firearms confiscation is unthinkable due to an Amendment in the Bill of Rights... consider the mindset of police on the East coast right now.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...investigation/

I have many pictures of my kids learning to shoot handguns, "assault" rifles, "Sniper" rifles, target rifles, etc.

I remember similar articles after Columbine. Fear does crazy things to people. It results in bad judgement, overreaction, bad politics, and generally rational people acting stupid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

I just read through two articles and the thread where the father originally posted about this.

I'm curious to see what actually comes of the investigation. In the thread there is the picture of his son, and another very dark picture of police outside his home. Some have tried to day the officers are in "tactical gear" but they're actually officers who wear exterior vests and drop holsters instead if traditional uniforms.

. From what I can see, no search was ever conducted, not did police enter the home. Also it seems the police were there at the request of child and family services.

There's a lot of missing info unfortunately. Hopefully that comes out

I should also have said that I think the fanatics on both sides are the problems.

The ones who want to get rid of guns are a problem.

The ones who think shopping at a mall with an AR-15 slung on their back is wise are a problem.

The answer is in reasoned discussion and compromise. But that's something I fear the above groups aren't capable of.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I should also have said that I think the fanatics on both sides are the problems.

The ones who want to get rid of guns are a problem.

The ones who think shopping at a mall with an AR-15 slung on their back is wise are a problem.

The answer is in reasoned discussion and compromise. But that's something I fear the above groups aren't capable of.
    I agree that ideologues on both extremes are outliers.

There may also be much information missing from the link I posted... but from what was printed... simply posting a picture of your kid with an AR-style .22 rifle on facebook should not bring child and family services with police to your house.

I think the guy's attorney said it correctly when he stated,

"There's this really great reason why there's no charges and the case is closed, and that's because my client didn't do anything wrong."
    Where is the middle ground when cops and child and family services is at your house because you posted a picture of your kid with a legal gun in his hands on facebook?

From my perpective, the middle ground is in trouble right now.

I think Jeromy nailed it with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    I remember similar articles after Columbine. Fear does crazy things to people. It results in bad judgement, overreaction, bad politics, and generally rational people acting stupid.
    Last edited by Devildog; 03-28-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Well if you read more there's a bit if info left out.

1) Someone called to report something and it involved the picture. The authorities who responded did not see the picture and run over. People call to report things, and that's what happened here (whether they're with merit or not, they can't just be ignored)

2) The police were not the ones conducting the investigation, they responded at the request of NJ version of DCFS to stand by in case there was an issue.

3) There's certainly some contention about what actually happened that night. There is paperwork indicating the father was intoxicated and his wife expressed concern about his behavior recently. Wasn't there so who knows, but we also don't know what the original detailed complaint to their DCFS was, as it's only the fathers post that we have to go on until there is more info.

I think parents, and everyone for that matter, should really be cautious with social media. It's a relatively new area where things can be taken out of context etc.

Not saying what happened that night is right or wrong. Wasn't there don't know, hopefully as more information comes out we'll find out if there was more than the picture that started this, or if that case agent went too far.

Banned
    Diehard, It is not my intention to be critical of the police.

You sound defensive, which is unneccessary.

let me address your points.

1) I get it, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it aint rocket science

2) I realize that

3) It isn't illegal to be drinking in your own house. Plus, my wife expresses concern about my behavior every damn day... and this is all beside the point.

Every academy cadet hears about the evils of social media. I wasn't there either but the Governor of the state called for a review, so maybe, someone overstepped their bounds a little, or a lot.

Not defensive at all, just highlighting things that weren't in the original linked story.

As for drinking in your own home, it depends on what you do while drinking

Like I said, there's a lot more info that needs to be discovered and hopefully that comes out in the investigation, I'm not taking a side on this. (and just because there is an investigation doesn't mean someone did something wrong, a responsible agency will always investigate any accusation that is made)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'm not taking a side on this. (and just because there is an investigation doesn't mean someone did something wrong, a responsible agency will always investigate any accusation that is made)
    OK, but there is also a responsibility by that agency not to overreact. You are right that we don't know everything. We also don't know that the original complainant wasn't a complete moonbat with a baseless allegation.

If the Child and Family Services showed up at my house with the police wanting to come in and check out my gun safes because of a complaint by God knows who, and a innocent picture of my kid that I posted on facebook as the basis of any allegation, you can bet your ass I would want to see a warrant. I would also be calling a lawyer. I would also be major league pissed off.
    Last edited by Devildog; 03-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.