Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

I wouldnt bet this way, but I also wouldnt be surprised if the Warriors ran through this whole postseason without losing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I wouldnt bet this way, but I also wouldnt be surprised if the Warriors ran through this whole postseason without losing a game.
    Gotta hope both the Cavs and the Warriors get to the finals without losing a game. Must dramatic finals match up in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I went to a couple of Wizards games when I lived in the DC area. My favorite part was yelling "Go Whiz!" with the rest of the several hundred people in attendance.
    It's a tragic flaw, I know, but pee jokes are pretty much always funny to me.
    i used to go see the Bullets at the Cap Center in the 80's. I remember going to a Celtics game, and the entire arena was full of Celtics fans who couldn't get seats at the Boston garden. It was basically a road game for the Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    i used to go see the Bullets at the Cap Center in the 80's. I remember going to a Celtics game, and the entire arena was full of Celtics fans who couldn't get seats at the Boston garden. It was basically a road game for the Bullets.
    That's how they used to market the games. "Come see [insert 80s super star here]." We too went to see the Celtics to catch Larry Legend, but he was out with back issues. It was a pretty big letdown.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Gotta hope both the Cavs and the Warriors get to the finals without losing a game. Must dramatic finals match up in a long time.
    That is my last bit of hope. I am hoping that we can see another year of Angry LeBron Mode and he can make them sweat a bit.

It has been fascinating to see the development of the Warriors. Their drafts from 2009 - 2012 were terrific and even in the year when they blew it (2010 with Ekpe Udoh), they were able to add him as a piece in the deal that got Bogut. The Jazz really helped them as well in getting Iguodala (The jazz were also helped there by getting Rodney Hood and something else this year.)

Lets say that the Warriors sweep or win in 5 and continue to just dominate this series.

Looking at purely this season, where does this team rank all time? My memory goes back to the early 90s so Ive got to throw the '96 Bulls in there.

It would be fun to somehow have the '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '96 Bulls and '17 Warriors play a round robin or other tournament.

Lets say that the Warriors sweep or win in 5 and continue to just dominate this series.

Looking at purely this season, where does this team rank all time? My memory goes back to the early 90s so Ive got to throw the '96 Bulls in there.

It would be fun to somehow have the '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '96 Bulls and '17 Warriors play a round robin or other tournament.
    Don't forget the bad boys...Draymond Green would try some of his nonsense and Laimbeer would put him in the seats. Seriously though, imagine Zaza pulling his closeout against a team like the Pistons back in the day.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My son and I watched the second game, and found it a complete bore, even when the score was still close. the NBA game has evolved into a 3 point shooting contest--space the players on the line and move the ball around until one is open. Neither Cleveland or GS went inside much at all. it really is becoming like playground ball or AAU ball, because everyone just jacks up 3 after 3.

Say hi to the "G-League". The "G" stands for Gatorade.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam...s-51cc9cfbc034

My son and I watched the second game, and found it a complete bore, even when the score was still close. the NBA game has evolved into a 3 point shooting contest--space the players on the line and move the ball around until one is open. Neither Cleveland or GS went inside much at all. it really is becoming like playground ball or AAU ball, because everyone just jacks up 3 after 3.
    Yup. And it makes comparing eras difficult, of course.

The league of the 90's is entirely different from the league now. It's impossible to say where teams stack up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's so bad. It's a worthy option during commercials and intermissions in the hockey games. It's not like the college game is a thing of beauty right now either. Basketball in general has problems. But it continues to produce dramatic or impressive moments on a regular basis.

Why is the Cleveland skyline on their basketball court? It's a completely generic skyline that even Clevelanders can't pick out of a lineup.

we are enjoying game 3 a lot more. very intense and well played. unbelievable shotmaking all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yup. And it makes comparing eras difficult, of course.

The league of the 90's is entirely different from the league now. It's impossible to say where teams stack up.

Comparing across eras is fun and at the same time maddening, because there never will be an answer. Lets take the 2017 Warriors and put them up against the 1986 Celtics. The warriors in crunch time put Kevin Durrant at Center. The Celtics go with Robert Parrish. The most fascinating thing to me is forced to adjust first? In my opinion, the Warriors force Boston to adjust first, forcing McHale up to Center, Bird up to the 4, and keeping Parrish and Walton glued to the bench for most of the game. DJ versus Steph? Ainge vs Klay? Larry vs Draymond? That would be awesome!

The more fascinating match up to me is the Warriors versus the 96 Bulls. Luc Longley becomes less of a factor and the bulls counter Curry-Thompson-Iggy-Green-Durrant with Harper-Jordan-Pippen-Rodman-Cockroach. Outside of Cockroach, the Bulls have an elite defender at every position. Cockroach probably gets put on Green, while the worm takes durrant with Pippen getting stretches of him as well. I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.

Comparing across eras is fun and at the same time maddening, because there never will be an answer. Lets take the 2017 Warriors and put them up against the 1986 Celtics. The warriors in crunch time put Kevin Durrant at Center. The Celtics go with Robert Parrish. The most fascinating thing to me is forced to adjust first? In my opinion, the Warriors force Boston to adjust first, forcing McHale up to Center, Bird up to the 4, and keeping Parrish and Walton glued to the bench for most of the game. DJ versus Steph? Ainge vs Klay? Larry vs Draymond? That would be awesome!

The more fascinating match up to me is the Warriors versus the 96 Bulls. Luc Longley becomes less of a factor and the bulls counter Curry-Thompson-Iggy-Green-Durrant with Harper-Jordan-Pippen-Rodman-Cockroach. Outside of Cockroach, the Bulls have an elite defender at every position. Cockroach probably gets put on Green, while the worm takes durrant with Pippen getting stretches of him as well. I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.
    the biggest issue is how are the games reffed? Warriors offense would much have harder time if defenders could hand-check and the game were as physical as it was in the 80s-90s.

I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.
    I'll take the Bulls.

the biggest issue is how are the games reffed? Warriors offense would much have harder time if defenders could hand-check and the game were as physical as it was in the 80s-90s.
    Exactly.

The 2017 game is played under an entirely different set of rules than the 80's and 90's

Great point. Its kind of crazy to imagine MJ in a no hand check league. I will say that the Warriors pass the ball so well (and often) that the hand check issue might be somewhat less impactful.

Great point. Its kind of crazy to imagine MJ in a no hand check league. I will say that the Warriors pass the ball so well (and often) that the hand check issue might be somewhat less impactful.
    Stephen Curry would be Mark Price 2.0 were it not for the no hand-check rule. He wouldn't be able to dribble around like he does and chuck it at will.

MJ would be even more devastatingly dominant than he was. The Jazz would never have gotten to an NBA final, let alone two finals.

Fun, strange game tonight.

Curry is the Warriors. Green, Durant, Thompson - the Warriors can overcome a bad game from any of them. But when Curry is off, Golden State loses. He's the MVP of the series, despite Durantula's numbers.

The officials were awful. And they were apparently caught in a lie to allow Green to stay in the game after a 2nd tech. Refs are, of course, dishonest by nature.

Curry is the Warriors. Green, Durant, Thompson - the Warriors can overcome a bad game from any of them. But when Curry is off, Golden State loses. He's the MVP of the series, despite Durantula's numbers.

The officials were awful. And they were apparently caught in a lie to allow Green to stay in the game after a 2nd tech. Refs are, of course, dishonest by nature.
    Crazy game: the officiating was beyond bad. They should replace the whole unit before the next game. By the way, I'm a ref. Just high school and men's league, and I am always careful when criticizing officials. But that was pitiful.
    Last edited by tooblue; 06-09-2017 at 10:12 PM.

The sequence where the officials retroactively moved a tech from Green to Kerr and then a fan was booted was one of the most out of control sequences I've seen in a game.

Bad calls happen. Awful, unexplainable calls happen . but those officials lost control of the game and made it up as they went.

I'm happy the series is going longer. But I feel its fools gold. I think GSW comes out on fire on Monday and ends it sort of easily.

I'm happy the series is going longer. But I feel its fools gold. I think GSW comes out on fire on Monday and ends it sort of easily.
    Yeah, too bad the Cavs couldn't hold on in game three.

I'll take the Bulls.
    Obviously, the rules have changed. So it's hard to compare. But I think the Bulls teams match up very well with this Warriors team. In particular, they have an answer for both Curry and Green.

MJ vs Curry. The greatest of all time is also one of the greatest defensive players ever. When Curry struggles, the Warriors struggle, and Jordan could certainly make Curry struggle. And, of course, the Warriors have no real answer for Jordan. Strong edge Bulls.

Pippen vs Durant. Pippen is the rare SF long enough to give Durant a hard time, and he's certainly capable of playing physical defense and offense, which is Durant's lone weakness. Still, Durant is a better player. Slight edge Warriors.

Rodman vs Green. Green is known for playing with emotion and losing his cool. He's also proud of being a strong rebounder. No way he survives a series against the Worm. Green gets more and more frustrated as Rodman cleans up the glass and does stupid Rodman stuff. Edge Bulls.

Thompson vs Kukoc. Thompson is better. Edge Warriors.

Jackson vs Kerr. Phil Jackson is generally considered to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. Edge Bulls.

The rest? Horace Grant and Steve Kerr over Shaun Livingston and Andre Igoudala. Not really very close. Edge Bulls.

The Official NBA Thread

Game four was both incredibly fun and totally unwatchable at the same time. It was odd.

Another season in the books. Most folks are saying that we're looking at 2-3 more titles for GSW before all is said and done. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the league just rolls over and lets Cleveland try to build a team to compete with Golden State or not. You hear names like Paul George being floated around already.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Another season in the books. Most folks are saying that we're looking at 2-3 more titles for GSW before all is said and done. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the league just rolls over and lets Cleveland try to build a team to compete with Golden State or not. You hear names like Paul George being floated around already.
    Their upcoming offseason will be interesting.

-Durrant has a player option that he can opt out and resign long term. Warriors do not have bird rights on him, so timing of his deal will be key. Or he can opt to exercise his option and figure out long term next summer.
    -Curry is an UFA and has been "underpaid" his whole career. I expect him to cash in on a max deal
    -Iguodala is also an UFA and earned 11 million this year. Even with his bird rights, Im not sure they can match that. Hes aging, but he might be able to get more on the FA market.
    -Livingston is an UFA and will command more than the ~5 million he made this year.

Ill be interested to see if the bottom two guys (critical role players) will sign for less than what market would pay to keep this thing together, or if they will cash out. Theyre both at a spot career wise where it might be their last chance.

The rest of their roster is roster fill that can come and go. They don't have a first rounder this year.

If they lose one or both of iggy and livingston and cant replace them, it brings them down. Not enough to the point where I think they wouldn't win the title, but it would make it interesting.

If they lose one or both of iggy and livingston and cant replace them, it brings them down. Not enough to the point where I think they wouldn't win the title, but it would make it interesting.
    I don't think these two matter very much. There's always some replacement version available. It's all about Curry and the other three. They won 70+ games without Durant. They can manage without Andre Iguodala.

I don't think these two matter very much. There's always some replacement version available. It's all about Curry and the other three. They won 70+ games without Durant. They can manage without Andre Iguodala.
    The problem is can they get a suitable replacement on a minimum salary. I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two) but Iggy does a LOT of little things and Livingston allows Curry to play off ball. Also, those guys are nice depth pieces should injuries arise.

I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two)
    They're heavy favorites event without Durant, as we saw the previous few seasons. I think they could lose Durant, Thompson, or Green and still be a title contender.

Iggy's fine. Livingston too. They would find replacements that would also be fine, even on a minimum salary.

The problem is can they get a suitable replacement on a minimum salary. I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two) but Iggy does a LOT of little things and Livingston allows Curry to play off ball. Also, those guys are nice depth pieces should injuries arise.
    David West is the model here for how these teams are going to contend when they lose pieces. There will be enough vets that have made enough money that will be willing to take peanuts in order to get a ring.