Thread: The Official NBA Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson or Tatum becomes part of a trade, where Hayward signs a max agreement with Utah, and gets traded to the Celts for picks and players. I don't think Ainge would have done that trade with the intention of keeping the pick. he is going after an established player, either Hayward or Jimmy Butler, or both, to challenge LBJ now, and succeed him when he goes to the Lakers (with PG).
    That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.

Perhaps drafting jackson/tatum is a way for them to hedge. If Hayward stays or goes to Miami, then they have a SF who can develop and be a piece of something better in 2-3 years. If Hayward signs, they can use whichever player they draft in a trade for Butler or to upgrade the front court.

A lot of people seem to think that LeBron will bolt after next year. I dont think we are there by any means, but I dont think it will be too long before LeBron isn't LeBron anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.
    I guess it depends on what you think of Hayward. I don't see the Hayward/Butler combo as a title team. Maybe they think he's still on the rise.